Starbucks coming to Disney parks

devoy1701

While I would agree, Starbucks is not great coffee, it is however popular coffee. You could put the best hand roasted coffee on the planet next to a Starbucks at WDW and Starbucks would have a line around the corner and the good coffee would struggle to make payroll.

People associate higher price for quality when it comes to Starbucks I think. The props I will give them is that they can truly cater to ridiculously specific and absolutely absurd drink requests. I don't think that Dunkin' can cater to those extents...however...their coffee wins hands down.

Get it as part of a new Colombia Pavilion and then offer a special Behind the Beans Tour for an extra $10-$20/person.

DCA used to have the "how to" tours for free as part of your park admission. You even used to get samples of the breads and tortillas at the end of the tour.

cornandacobb

Nescafe are staying in the restaurants. The Starbucks are going to be stand alone locations.

Whoops. I meant I'LL be saying goodbye to Nescafe...which I already did anyway. After my first visit, I decided I would walk/jog/run to the other side of a park just for a non-Nescafe coffee.

devoy1701

Disclaimer: I don't like coffee. Never have.

Disney could screw this up by plopping a nice rectangular stand-alone starbucks with modern sleek design right into the middle of Adventureland, or as a replacement for the Refeshment Outpost at Epcot, but I suspect, particularly based on the announcement, that this isn't the plan. If it turns out that way, I'll join those screaming about it.

My wife, who is a coffee drinker, likes Starbucks, and ins't too fond of Disney coffee. So if all they do is replace Disney's coffee drinks with Starbucks at one location in each park (say, the bakery on Main Street, Starring Rolls at DHS, the Fountainview Cafe (or whatever it's called now) at Epcot...sounds like a winner. Even if they add Starbucks pastries at those places instead of what's there now...still sounds like a winner. My wife will be pleased, and I won't care a bit.

This sounds like when you could get McDonald's fries in the parks at a few locations. I thought it was good because McDonald's fries > Disney fries by a wide margin, and it's not like they put up a McDonald's Frontierland -- they just let you buy the fries at one location.

That's an interesting analogy. Because even though McDonald's fries were superior, they ended up being phased out because they weren't seen as being healthy. I guess that could never happen though to a Starbucks partnership with the way our country's coffee craze is.

jakeman

The press release is somewhat vague, but the mention of espresso beverages and breakfast sandwiches implies these will be closer to a Target/airport Starbucks than locations that simply serve Starbucks coffee. I think we're getting something much closer to full stores, ala Universal.
Yeah I can see that as well to a certain extent.

I think a good example of what we might see may be the small cafe attached to the Casa Monica Hotel in St. Augustine. They serve Starbucks coffee, make most of the drinks and the food is a mix of the standard Starbucks pastries and quick service option from the hotel restaurant, 95 Cordova.

Having traveled for business quiet extensively, I've seen Starbucks shoehorned in place in what seems like every conceivable way. I would be very surprised if, beyond some signage, there was any indication you were in a Starbucks.

PhilharMagician

While I would agree, Starbucks is not great coffee, it is however popular coffee. You could put the best hand roasted coffee on the planet next to a Starbucks at WDW and Starbucks would have a line around the corner and the good coffee would struggle to make payroll.

With Starbucks, it is not about the quality of the coffee it is all about how many calories you can add into that sweet coffee based concoction.

ryanduggers

I couldn't care less about Starbucks, I hate coffee. (love the smell)

Now, trying to find a diet MT Dew on property for my caffiene fix......:brick:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah I can see that as well to a certain extent.

I think a good example of what we might see may be the small cafe attached to the Casa Monica Hotel in St. Augustine. They serve Starbucks coffee, make most of the drinks and the food is a mix of the standard Starbucks pastries and quick service option from the hotel restaurant, 95 Cordova.

Having traveled for business quiet extensively, I've seen Starbucks shoehorned in place in what seems like every conceivable way. I would be very surprised if, beyond some signage, there was any indication you were in a Starbucks.

Considering how long the discussions over this move have been going, I'd be surprised if Disney hasn't thought of a number of smaller locales to place the Starbucks cafes, without doing damage to the existing theming....

bethymouse

Well Ok then...

I do like Starbucks, but the expense is just way too high!
My hubby prefers Dunkin Donuts.
We both hate Nescafe!:hurl: But that'll probably stay @ restaurants.:cry:
I always enjoyed Kona Coffee @ the POLY!:)
So... I guess the addition of another "choice" for coffee will be nice.:shrug:
Will it be a snack option on the DDP?:shrug:

jlandis44

Don't drink coffee, but I find any non-Disney commercialization of the parks to deter from the experience. If I want non-Disney, I'll go to a Cedar Fair park.

BrittanyRose428

I can not see having Starbuck's in the parks as anything but a good thing. I am not much for Starbuck's straight coffee but I love everything else they have.
Agreed 100%. When I mention that I like Starbucks to someone they often respond with "I don't like their coffee"... I don't like their coffee either, there's so many other things to get there though. :hammer:

SMZ MD

How about a bunch of different specialty coffees, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and my personal regional fave-- Eat n Park coffee. Seriously, for those of us who really like( and at times) need a good cup of coffee what WDW offersw is woefully lacking. I am also no fan of starbucks or their $$$prices, but if it helps draw a little attention to the quality (or lack thereof) of the home product so much the better.

wdwfan4ver

I never been a coffee drinker despite my age. I know coffee drinkers that really think Starbucks as overpriced coffee.

The only thing I have is a concern is the starbucks locations could be.

I bring this up because I go to places in the parks like Starring Rolls for eating cupcakes. Since Starbucks will be having their pastries, that could mean places like Starring Rolls Cafe wouldn't be serving Cupcakes anymore.

The other thing to look at besides cupcakes is the Main Street Bakery serves fudge besides doughnuts. That could be gone too if Starbucks goes into Main Street Bakery with their coffee and pastries. I know people that actually buy fudge from Main Street Bakery.

MissMorrow

I happen to like Starbucks coffee (although I will admit it is hit or miss with the burnt taste, at least to me), however I don't like the idea of having standalone cafes in the parks. If this means the demise of Starring Roles, the Writer's Stop, Kusafiri, or the Main Street Bakery, I will not at all be happy.

And if they won't be brewing it at the resorts, what on earth is the point?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What's wrong with corporate sponsorship? Casey's Corner opened in 1972 as the Coca-Cola refreshment corner. Have a look around Epcot Center, all the pavilions were sponsored.

Besides, Disney is not in the business of making coffee. Starbucks is.

wickedfan07

Don't drink coffee, but I find any non-Disney commercialization of the parks to deter from the experience. If I want non-Disney, I'll go to a Cedar Fair park.

Then I'm sure you never buy any of the following items on property: Dole Whips, ice cream (provided by Edy's as mentioned earlier), Coke products (incl. Dasani water), Nescafe coffee, etc. There are probably several products I've missed, too.

You also never ride the TTA Peoplemover, Spaceship Earth, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Test Track, Mission SPACE, The American Adventure or Rock'n'roller Coaster, as all of these attractions are sponsored by outside corporations.

You also do not choose to experience Star Tours, Indiana jones Epic Stunt Spectacular or The Great Movie Ride as those attractions are based on or feature films not originated or owned by Disney.

If you don't drink coffee, I don't really see how the addition of Starbucks at CERTAIN locations (not ALL locations) is going to detract from your personal experience.

And, for the record, I have had a perfectly good time at Cedar Fair parks and other parks like them (such as Hersheypark). In fact, in some cases, my experiences there have been BETTER than my experiences at Disney's parks. Commercialization had nothing to do with it.

[quote-MissMorrow]
And if they won't be brewing it at the resorts, what on earth is the point?
[/quote]
Perhaps the Starbucks offerrings will be expanded once the initial rollout of the products are completed and the success of the new agreement an be measured? Earlier someone compared this agreement to the former agreement with McDonalds. While McDonald's fries were not available at the resorts, there were additional Mcdonald's locations on property (and still are I think). there could also be limits to what Disney can do with starbucks right now due to agreements with other companies that are still in effect. It ouldn't surprise me if Starbucks coffee were eventually available property-wide the way Coca-Cola is.

jlandis44

Nothing wrong with corporate sponsorship. That is different than what is being discussed here. Kodak helping pay the costs of a pavilion in exchange for some advertising is different than guests having to ingest the product of another company. And, while having a Starbucks isn't really a big deal, what's next? Conversion of all the burger stands into mini-McDonalds? Yuck. Next thing you know, Le Cellier will convert to "Ruth's Chris". And, San Angel Inn will convert to Uncle Julio's/Taco Bell/Qdoba. Just not a fan of the trend that could arise from this type of commercialization. And, what happens to all the Dole Whip fans when that stand converts to Dairy Queen?!?!?! The world could end...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Nothing wrong with corporate sponsorship. That is different than what is being discussed here. Kodak helping pay the costs of a pavilion in exchange for some advertising is different than guests having to ingest the product of another company. And, while having a Starbucks isn't really a big deal, what's next? Conversion of all the burger stands into mini-McDonalds? Yuck. Next thing you know, Le Cellier will convert to "Ruth's Chris". And, San Angel Inn will convert to Uncle Julio's/Taco Bell/Qdoba. Just not a fan of the trend that could arise from this type of commercialization. And, what happens to all the Dole Whip fans when that stand converts to Dairy Queen?!?!?! The world could end...

San Angel Inn is already operated by an outside company. Dole Whips are also made by an outside company.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
San Angel Inn is already operated by an outside company. Dole Whips are also made by an outside company.
As are Yak and Yack and Yeti, nearly every location at DTD, several places at the Boardwalk, etc, etc. I think the time to worry about this happening would have been in the mid 50's.

I was going to just read through the comments and move on, reserving my judgment that Starbuck's is expensive coffee, not necessarily good coffee. PLEASE NOTICE I SAID NECESSARILY before bringing out the flamethrowers... :lookaroun

That being said, it seems that more than a few believe that this is an improvement, sort of. I'd agree, as long as the price doesn't get much higher than what Starbuck's charges... which I already consider to be expensive for coffee. I guess if it's in terms of which is the better coffee, I'd have to say yes, Starbuck's is better than *ugh* Nescafe or whatever muddy water they're serving.

Just me $.02 worth :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom