Starbucks coming to Disney parks

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Nothing wrong with this at all. The parks were built on the backs of sponsors. So long as they don't park a typical Starbucks location onto Main Street USA, this is a good move.

devoy1701

I prefer Dunkin myself...but depending on the prices I think I will definitely opt for a Starbucks cup of Joe over NesCafe...especially because NesCafe is roughly the same price as a Starbucks cup of regular coffee. As long as the locations aren't themed to look like Starbucks, I don't see a problem here.

GrumpyFan

Excited! It's about time!

I'm not a coffee snob, and I tend to think Starbucks is a bit pricey, but I do like what they have to offer and welcome this over the nasty nescafe stuff that has been the only choice at the resorts for too long!

NowInc

Don't forget that Starbucks is already inside Universal (and cityplace) and does insanely well in both locations (Aside from seeing the long long long lines all day, I know people who work at both). Disney will benefit from this, as it will provide additional incentive to buy some of THEIR baked goods on top of the ones branded by Sbux.

Now these won't be franchise locations (Meaning all of you SBux employees hoping to use your partner discounts...you'll be out of luck..similar to the starbucks inside of target)...which means that although they are part of the corporation, they are a totally separate entity. They can, if they choose, do their own promotions, and vice versa ignore the ones run everywhere else.

cassiedoodle

My husband has worked for Starbucks for 2 years and it is a FANTASTIC company that really takes care of their partners.
I'm am over the moon excited about Starbucks coming to WDW. I am by NO means a coffee snob, I only drink about 2 cups a week. Even though I'm not a huge coffee drinker, it'll nice to get a little pick me up after getting little sleep every night :snore: :sohappy:

EnchantedRose

Yippee

I for one am a HUGE Starbucks addict - seriously I should join a group! I cant' stand that in Disney I can never get a GOOD cup of coffee...i go as far as taking VIA packets with me!

Cannot wait for my next trip & be able to get a good cup of coffee

jakeman

The release says that the first location will be in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café at DCA. So my guess is that it will not look or feel like a Starbucks, but will have a "featuring" label near the entrance. The products will be Starbucks products, but I will guess that the cast and theme will all be distinctly Disney. I would almost put my money on that Main Street Bakery becoming a Starbucks location. I would also say that the overall look, feel, and a number of the products of the bakery will remain the same but it will now feature some Starbucks items.
You can look towards the Starwood hotel group to see how this is done. In their small hotel shops they do "feature" Starbucks coffee, but only a few have a straight up Starbucks store.

Considering I would assume it is going to be done the same way, this really doesn't have a downside.

71jason

If they turn the Main Street Bakery into a Starbucks, then I might have to run amuck with a meat cleaver.

How is a "turn of the century" bakery that serves (bad) espresso and cappuccino alongside bottled juices and swipes credit cards all that different from a Starbucks with the same decor that does the same? Like every store on MSUSA, the theming hasn't gone beyond the facade to the merchandise in a long, long time.

Cool. I wonder how inflated the price will be at WDW, seeing as I already think Starbucks over-charges for their coffee...

FWIW, the Universal Starbucks charges the same as the other Orlando outlets...and gives a 10% AP discount, actually making it the cheapest Starbucks I go to. No guarantee WDW will be the same, but there is precedent.

Between this and the Orange Bird flap, I'm afraid I'm going to have to surrender my "Doom & Gloomer" card soon. While neither of these developments is earth-shattering, they are both modest improvements in the WDW guest experience--inclining by degrees, to paraphrase Kevin Yee. I don't understand the vitriol.

71jason

You can look towards the Starwood hotel group to see how this is done. In their small hotel shops they do "feature" Starbucks coffee, but only a few have a straight up Starbucks store.

Considering I would assume it is going to be done the same way, this really doesn't have a downside.

The press release is somewhat vague, but the mention of espresso beverages and breakfast sandwiches implies these will be closer to a Target/airport Starbucks than locations that simply serve Starbucks coffee. I think we're getting something much closer to full stores, ala Universal.

lazyboy97o

I am well aware of all the ways Starbucks has included their coffee in other places, but I am still concerned that this could end up being more Starbucks than Disney.

Oddly enough, I type this sitting in a Starbucks.

devoy1701

How is a "turn of the century" bakery that serves (bad) espresso and cappuccino alongside bottled juices and swipes credit cards all that different from a Starbucks with the same decor that does the same? Like every store on MSUSA, the theming hasn't gone beyond the facade to the merchandise in a long, long time.

FWIW, the Universal Starbucks charges the same as the other Orlando outlets...and gives a 10% AP discount, actually making it the cheapest Starbucks I go to. No guarantee WDW will be the same, but there is precedent.

Between this and the Orange Bird flap, I'm afraid I'm going to have to surrender my "Doom & Gloomer" card soon. While neither of these developments is earth-shattering, they are both modest improvements in the WDW guest experience--inclining by degrees, to paraphrase Kevin Yee. I don't understand the vitriol.

ah, I see. The way to win a Doom and Gloomer over is through Sweet Treats that we really don't need. damn. :lol:

I'll hold out for you!

devoy1701

The press release is somewhat vague, but the mention of espresso beverages and breakfast sandwiches implies these will be closer to a Target/airport Starbucks than locations that simply serve Starbucks coffee. I think we're getting something much closer to full stores, ala Universal.

I am well aware of all the ways Starbucks has included their coffee in other places, but I am still concerned that this could end up being more Starbucks than Disney.

Oddly enough, I type this sitting in a Starbucks.

This is what I'm concerned with too. While I don't mind if the Main Street Bakery or Auntie Gravity's Galactic Treats start serving Starbucks coffee, I don't want to walk over to the counter where a corner of the store has magically transported me back to my local mall's Starbucks with the blonde wood countertops, sandblasted glass pendant lighting, and baristas sporting their bright green aprons. Keep me in the turn of the 20th Century or Tomorrowland please.

jed012788

This is a couple pages back, but I saw someone made a snide comment about the ice cream in the parks being turned over to a national chain like Dairy Queen. Um, the ice cream shop on Main Street is sponsored by Edy's. That is a national chain.

majortom1981

As a coffee guy, I'm excited for this.

True coffee guy would not like this one bit. Starbucks is overroasted dirt. You should be able to drink coffee with just milk. If you need sugar, chocolate, or carmel in it to be able to drink it then its not good coffee.

I think disney is better off buying a big roaster, hiring a staff member to roast the coffee and use that on property. It would be much cheaper. The coffee house by me roasts their own coffee and save something like $3 to $5 a pound by roasting their own.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True coffee guy would not like this one bit. Starbucks is overroasted dirt. You should be able to drink coffee with just milk. If you need sugar, chocolate, or carmel in it to be able to drink it then its not good coffee.

I think disney is better off buying a big roaster, hiring a staff member to roast the coffee and use that on property. It would be much cheaper. The coffee house by me roasts their own coffee and save something like $3 to $5 a pound by roasting their own.
While I would agree, Starbucks is not great coffee, it is however popular coffee. You could put the best hand roasted coffee on the planet next to a Starbucks at WDW and Starbucks would have a line around the corner and the good coffee would struggle to make payroll.

lazyboy97o

Get it as part of a new Colombia Pavilion and then offer a special Behind the Beans Tour for an extra $10-$20/person.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Disclaimer: I don't like coffee. Never have.

Disney could screw this up by plopping a nice rectangular stand-alone starbucks with modern sleek design right into the middle of Adventureland, or as a replacement for the Refeshment Outpost at Epcot, but I suspect, particularly based on the announcement, that this isn't the plan. If it turns out that way, I'll join those screaming about it.

My wife, who is a coffee drinker, likes Starbucks, and ins't too fond of Disney coffee. So if all they do is replace Disney's coffee drinks with Starbucks at one location in each park (say, the bakery on Main Street, Starring Rolls at DHS, the Fountainview Cafe (or whatever it's called now) at Epcot...sounds like a winner. Even if they add Starbucks pastries at those places instead of what's there now...still sounds like a winner. My wife will be pleased, and I won't care a bit.

This sounds like when you could get McDonald's fries in the parks at a few locations. I thought it was good because McDonald's fries > Disney fries by a wide margin, and it's not like they put up a McDonald's Frontierland -- they just let you buy the fries at one location. Heck -- we don't complain that Disney serves Coke instead of its own special brand of cola, so why should starbucks coffee be a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom