Starbucks among other new vendors at Disney

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
First I want to say I love Starbucks they are a great company that treats their employees well. I have an issue as Disney progresses to bring franchise vendors into the Parks. I am all about unique, and one of the things I enjoyed at Disney is the unique items that could only be found there. Example the Main Street Bakery offerings that is now lost. Disney must be careful to not lose the unique flavor of their Parks. I can get McDonalds,, Starbucks, Joferrys coffee etc on any corner of America but I can't get things like the Bakery sold anywhere but Main Street USA.. My visits to Disney are to escape the norm and find one of a kind items.

I don't like the trend of bringing in franchises and displacing the Disney feel and flavors and Employees.

Last edited:

FrostyNaples

First I want to say I love Starbucks they are a great company that treats their employees well. I have an issue as Disney progresses to bring franchise vendors into the Parks. I am all about unique, and one of the things I enjoyed at Disney is the unique items that could only be found their. Example the Main Street Bakery offerings that is now lost. Disney must be careful to not lose the unique flavor of their Parks. I can get McDonalds,, Starbucks, Joferrys coffee etc on any corner of America but I can't get things like the Bakery sold anywhere but Main Street USA.. My visits to Disney are to escape the norm and find one of a kind items.

I don't like the trend of bringing in franchises and displacing the Disney feel and flavors and Employees.

They don't need to "be careful" - have you every visited one of these locations and it was empty?

It's working out just fine for them.

Change, evolution, is inevitable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
First I want to say I love Starbucks they are a great company that treats their employees well. I have an issue as Disney progresses to bring franchise vendors into the Parks. I am all about unique, and one of the things I enjoyed at Disney is the unique items that could only be found their. Example the Main Street Bakery offerings that is now lost. Disney must be careful to not lose the unique flavor of their Parks. I can get McDonalds,, Starbucks, Joferrys coffee etc on any corner of America but I can't get things like the Bakery sold anywhere but Main Street USA.. My visits to Disney are to escape the norm and find one of a kind items.

This is not really a new trend, Disney has had outside brands in their parks for a long time.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I'm going to agree with the OP. I hate to point to Uni again, but they have so many more touches to their park to make things unique. Going to the Harry parts of the park is almost like visiting another world because you can't see a franchise anywhere and they have so many unique items to buy and consume

Berret

In the Parks
No
Well, I will agree that I did initially look at Starbucks as out of place. However, that quickly changed, because we love Starbucks, and it made a great quick service breakfast. I get your point about uniqueness and all, but what's done is done, and I for one am happy it's there. I can get my triple espressos with three regular sugars whenever I want, at least while I'm there :)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
That's just an estimate. I havent been to WDW in years so i cant comment on how many are actually in each park xD.

BJones82

Nothing spells amazing like having 43 Starbucks vendors in your parks.

It's actually easy to find, it's right on the home page of wdwMagic right now in the Starbucks opening in AK article, there are 4 in the parks (1 each) and 2 in DTD which I don't think anyone will fight too much.

I'm going to agree with the OP. I hate to point to Uni again, but they have so many more touches to their park to make things unique. Going to the Harry parts of the park is almost like visiting another world because you can't see a franchise anywhere and they have so many unique items to buy and consume

I get and partially agree with what you're saying, that being said I don't think the current offerings are ruining the face of the park. For instance main street starbucks, you are hard pressed to know it is a starbucks without stairing in the window (which says on it Starbucks) here is a pic:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...BHXEEeJJserAFYi4v1UJQcYQ&ust=1433609503304215

That being said right now I am okay with it but it is a slippery slope and definitely hope it stops here lol...

Communicore

Come on now, the Starbucks in the park have that extra Disney Magic! By the way, are those pastries they sell made by Disney or is it by an "independent bakery in Orlando" like the outside stores?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
if the pastries were not the same ones you could buy anywhere else that would be different but they are not. If they kept the baked goods from the old bakery and just had the coffee selection that would have been fine but they did not. It is a slippery slope I just want Disney to be a different experience and main street was just that BUT if some day I enter main street and all I see is fast food and merch franchises that I can get any where in the country it will be over for me. Wheres the Disney Magic in that ????

its a slow process but one day you go to Disney and bam its a different Disney it sjust an amusement park.
and like I said I love the starbucks company they are righteous people and a good franchise to partner with if you have to partner with someone.

Polydweller

This is not really a new trend, Disney has had outside brands in their parks for a long time.
Yep, since the gates opened at Disneyland 60 years ago. Which is why I wonder why people keep raising this. Nothing new to this and specifically about Main Street Bakery. It was originally sponsored from WDW opening year 1971 to 1985 by Sara Lee and sold Sara Lee products and yet WDW survived. So let it go. Sponsorship has always been part of Disney Parks and always will be and there is no need to keep pursuing this.

CaptainAmerica

:rolleyes:

Pepsi Presents Walt Disney's It's a Small World
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, brought to you by General Electric
Ford Motor Company presents "Ford's Magic Skyway"

We don't even need to ask "what would Walt do" on this one because he did it himself.

ETA: Disney is neither a coffee roaster nor an eyeglass manufacturer. I'd much rather have a product I know I can trust in Starbucks or Ray-ban than to spend my money on a mystery brand with unknown quality. It's not like the Starbucks on Main Street looks and feels like "any old Starbucks." Anyone who's actually set foot in there knows it's themed and maintained appropriately.

Edit 2: It's illustrative of the mindset of the Disney consumer that people are arguing against good coffee in the name of crappy coffee just because they want the crappy coffee to have Mickey ears stamped on the cup or some such.

Last edited:

Berret

In the Parks
No
You know, Disney changes every day. Like you said, it's slow. The reason it's a BAM to us is many of us can't go back for sometimes several years between trips. Lots of things may have changed in that time. Where do you mark the spot where Disney stops being Disney for you? I mean, if you think it's bad that Disney "sold out" to corporate sponsors, it's been that way since Day One. Is it only Starbucks that has made you feel this way?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
OK , obviously the Starbucks drinkers are jittery today. This is not a sponsorship that took place it was a replacement of an existing bakery shop.
So if the action was THE MAIN STREET BAKERY SPONSORED BY STARBUCKS that would be different, they would still be baking thier own pastries and serving STARBUCKS coffee. NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. This is not the case of a sponsorship this is a takeover of an old orginial Disney Bakery. Sorry if you don't get the issue have a double latte frappacino with an extra shot of caffeine and chill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom