Star Wars Weekends - 2016 - Trip planning around rumors.

MrsSomers

We have a trip booked for May 5th - 15th, 2016. Our hope was to be there for the Star Wars Weekends merchandise and character meals (which usually begin at the beginning of May), then catch the 1st day of SSW (assuming that would be May 13th), then fly home that weekend. With the announcement of Season Of The Force, some are wondering if SWW will even happen in 2016. Disney has this posted to their web site “Get as close to the Force as you can during a galactic event packed with out-of-this-world fireworks, entertainment, Character Greetings and so much more—coming summer 2016.” Seriously . . . SUMMER 2016? I have to admit, all these rumors are making me crazy!

If I were to know for sure that SWW's wasn't happening next year, or happening in the summer, I'd move the trip to April 2016. The problem is, we are 44 days away from making our ADRs for this May trip, and only 23 days away from making them should we move the trip to April. My idea was to keep the May trip in place, then toss some money down on an April trip, which will allow me to make the ADRs for both trips. Then, once Disney finally gets around to announcing what the heck is going on, I'll just cancel the trip we don't need. Does this sound like the best way to go about this? I'd love to know what you all think.

djkidkaz

Disney announced the cancellation of Osborne lights over a year in advance. With something as popular as Star Wars Weekends they would have announced it by now if it was going away. I would say if anything you'll have an even bigger Star Wars presence next year with SWW, plus the Season of the Force event however long that goes on, plus the Star Wars Launch Bay. I think they are going to use Star Wars to keep the park on life support until they can get some of the new lands open. I would be surprised to see Frozen return to DHS next year, just as a side note.

Upvote 0

JohnD

We have a trip booked for May 5th - 15th, 2016. Our hope was to be there for the Star Wars Weekends merchandise and character meals (which usually begin at the beginning of May), then catch the 1st day of SSW (assuming that would be May 13th), then fly home that weekend. With the announcement of Season Of The Force, some are wondering if SWW will even happen in 2016. Disney has this posted to their web site “Get as close to the Force as you can during a galactic event packed with out-of-this-world fireworks, entertainment, Character Greetings and so much more—coming summer 2016.” Seriously . . . SUMMER 2016? I have to admit, all these rumors are making me crazy!

If I were to know for sure that SWW's wasn't happening next year, or happening in the summer, I'd move the trip to April 2016. The problem is, we are 44 days away from making our ADRs for this May trip, and only 23 days away from making them should we move the trip to April. My idea was to keep the May trip in place, then toss some money down on an April trip, which will allow me to make the ADRs for both trips. Then, once Disney finally gets around to announcing what the heck is going on, I'll just cancel the trip we don't need. Does this sound like the best way to go about this? I'd love to know what you all think.

Make your plans. Book your room and make your ADRs when you're 180 days out. Don't rely on rumors. I also wouldn't take the words "Summer 2016" literally. Any time after Easter is considered "Summer" at WDW. Just as "Fall" is late August and Early September. And "Holiday" begins with the first MVMCP in early November.

What's the worst that can happen? You have until no later than 5 days prior to cancel your resort reservation with no penalty. You have until one day prior to an ADR to cancel without incurring a $10 fee. I was about suggest going crazy and scheduling the April trip too but you just said that. Yep. That's what I would do. You'll have to put down deposits on both but you'll get the deposit back on the one you cancel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Disney announced the cancellation of Osborne lights over a year in advance. With something as popular as Star Wars Weekends they would have announced it by now if it was going away. I would say if anything you'll have an even bigger Star Wars presence next year with SWW, plus the Season of the Force event however long that goes on, plus the Star Wars Launch Bay. I think they are going to use Star Wars to keep the park on life support until they can get some of the new lands open. I would be surprised to see Frozen return to DHS next year, just as a side note.
Not true about Osborne Lights...Disney never made an official announcement about ending Osborne Lights until a few weeks ago (9/11/15) and it ends this year! So no it was not announced a year in advance. Only a few months in advance. Rumors were flying around but Disney never said anything until just 2 weeks ago that this was the last year for the lights. I follow all Disney news daily (and have for years) and there never was anything but rumors/speculation on the Internet/blogs until the official announcement on 9/11/15.
Just like with the light display at Epcot they announced it was gone for good only months before the holiday season that it would not be there for that season at all and in the future.
So Disney does not always give a long notice when they decide to end/discontinue something. So don't count on that. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Things can always change but I thought it was already announced at the last D23 expo that Season of the Force was NOT replacing Star Wars Weekends but rather adding to the Star Wars experience.

When you think about it makes sense. They need something big to draw the crowds in until the additions and renovations are completed. I can see them running both events until after Star Wars land is complete.

Upvote 0

djkidkaz

Not true about Osborne Lights...Disney never made an official announcement about ending Osborne Lights until a few weeks ago (9/11/15) and it ends this year! So no it was not announced a year in advance. Only a few months in advance. Rumors were flying around but Disney never said anything until just 2 weeks ago that this was the last year for the lights. I follow all Disney news daily (and have for years) and there never was anything but rumors/speculation on the Internet/blogs until the official announcement on 9/11/15.
Just like with the light display at Epcot they announced it was gone for good only months before the holiday season that it would not be there for that season at all and in the future.
So Disney does not always give a long notice when they decide to end/discontinue something. So don't count on that. :)

But you know a year in advance if your someone who was planning on booking a trip for next winter to see the osborne lights, correct? You know this will be your last chance to see them. If Disney had said they weren't happening this year, than your statement would be correct.

Upvote 0

MrsSomers

Original Poster
I saw that! Now we can cancel our May booking. Of course we were up at 5:45 am Saturday making our 'just-in-case' ADR's for May. Had this announcement happened on Friday, we could have slept in! Darn you Disney!! LOL!

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Re read and deleted post asking a question about dates. Lol Had been so long I had forgotten the OP's dates! So if you got an email with a new response and now it's gone that's why. Haha :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom