Star Wars Weekends 2014

journ116

Good afternoon fellow Disney travelers! Today, I would like to pick the brains of forum members who have attended Star Wars Weekends...I am in the beginning stages of planning a weekend trip in May 2014 specifically for this event, which will be my first encounter with the hoopla! And the kicker: I am surprising my 17 y.o. younger sister with said weekend trip (this will be her Christmas, 18th birthday, & graduation present)! Now, she is a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am and will probably know more about the characters & set-ups than me...I am just an appreciater of Lucas' film work.

Onto the questions:
1. When did you attend?
2. What were the crowds like?
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? I am a complete novice when it comes to this event.
4. Any "must do's?"
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))?

As of right now, I will be booking a studio at AKV, because it's my DVC home resort...hoping I can switch to BCV or BWV at my 7 month booking window.

Many thanks in advance to ANY insights, suggestions, and/or answers to my questions above!

ratherbeinwdw

Good afternoon fellow Disney travelers! Today, I would like to pick the brains of forum members who have attended Star Wars Weekends...I am in the beginning stages of planning a weekend trip in May 2014 specifically for this event, which will be my first encounter with the hoopla! And the kicker: I am surprising my 17 y.o. younger sister with said weekend trip (this will be her Christmas, 18th birthday, & graduation present)! Now, she is a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am and will probably know more about the characters & set-ups than me...I am just an appreciater of Lucas' film work.

Onto the questions:
1. When did you attend? 2010 2011 2012
2. What were the crowds like? We were there about 30 minutes before opening in 2011. The lines for the shopping mall were already out to RNR. However, by 10 the lines were inside the building. They weren't long at all for M&G--the one in the mall, not the individual fastpass ones, but we waited almost an hour to pay for merch. In 2012, we got there over an hour early. We were able to go straight through for M&G, the ones in the mall, but still had to wait 45 min to get one of the AP holder t's. All the people we have met there over those years who are big fans, were in line for the "good" autograph's by 11 p.m. the night before. They brought sleeping bags. In 2012, they started handing out the fastpasses by 6 o'clock. They led a line of people who were in the long line straight to the mall for shopping at 7. They did not make them wait for the park to open. We waited about 30 minutes to get a pic and autograph with Chewy. They don't or didn't fastpass those M&G's. It's usually the actors, writers, etc. who you get fastpass for.
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? I am a complete novice when it comes to this event.
Remember that the characters stay in character and can be quite rude. We were walking up the ramp by Little Mermaid when the troopers who had been on stage came around the end of the brick wall. We moved aside, but one of them actually raised his arm like he was going to hit me. I didn't realize what was happening at first. My daughter got a good laugh out of it. I didn't.
4. Any "must do's?" The Hoopla is a hoot.
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))? We stayed from opening to an hour before closing to beat the crowds going out.

As of right now, I will be booking a studio at AKV, because it's my DVC home resort...hoping I can switch to BCV or BWV at my 7 month booking window.

Many thanks in advance to ANY insights, suggestions, and/or answers to my questions above!

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
So do you think the weekend of May 17th would be the first weekend? The way the calendar falls this year is a little off.
That's what I was thinking as well...I sure hope it turns out that way, because that's the only weekend that's reasonable enough to spring the surprise on my sister! Otherwise, I will have to hold off this year...yet another "planned event" to reschedule. Ah well, there are worse things in life!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Master Yoda has it down perfectly!!!!! I know as most years I am running with him and his family for this event. As with most special events, the main focus here shouldnt be the rides. Yes lines for that may be shorter but you can do those anytime, do the events that are only there for those weekends. Last year we did wait in line to see the Ray Park Show which was incredible!!! For that I think we lined up over an hour beforehand. Definitely would do that again without a question. Any preplanning you can do such as dining reservations are a good idea. Im sure it will be awesome for you and your sister!!! Have a great time and may the Force be with you! Marie

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
Still waiting for Disney to release SWW dates...if trends are continuing though, I'll be waiting until December for those dates. However, based on guesstimations, those dates will either follow:

2010-2013 trends: began 10 days before Memorial Day
2014: May 16 - June 8

2009: began Memorial Day weekend
2014: May 23 - June 15

I'm kind of leaning toward 2009's schedule because it will start the cycle all over again, splitting 2 weekends in May and June. If that scenario holds true, I'll either have to wait until 2015 or try for the last weekend in 2014. Time will tell! Until then, I'm holding off on booking a room via DVC points and finding flights.

Happy planning to the rest of you!

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We went for the first time this past June, on the very last day of event. No one in my family is really a huge SW fan, but we absolutely loved it! We weren't really interested in the autographs or even the rides, but just basically walked around taking pictures of everything, and then watched the Hoopla - which is totally worth the price of admission alone.

We didn't go until late afternoon, but the crowds weren't as bad as I'd expected. We were able to see several of the lesser characters, and waited for an hour to see Luke and Leia, but the best part was all the random characters (Storm troopers, Tuscan Raiders, etc.) just walking through the park and interacting with guests.
IMG_3635_zps8f9ef402.jpg

IMG_3627_zps66d6a651.jpg

Make sure you get a spot fairly early for the Hoopla - we were in the middle, toward the back, and had a tree blocking part of the view, but it was still a lot of fun!

Upvote 0

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We hit up the first SWW this May and didn't find it scary crowded.It kinda depends on how much of a geek you want to be.We didn't do autographs and didn't watch the Hoopla but did catch the motorcade and darth Mall. Pretty crowded for the first and a 5 minute wait to get into the second.

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
I guess my hunch was right and I can keep my current resort reservation for the opening weekend of SWW and the last weekend for the Flower and Garden Festival!

Now, if I arrive on Friday, May 16th, am I going to be missing much if I don't get to DHS until 11am?

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I guess my hunch was right and I can keep my current resort reservation for the opening weekend of SWW and the last weekend for the Flower and Garden Festival!

Now, if I arrive on Friday, May 16th, am I going to be missing much if I don't get to DHS until 11am?
You won't be able to get any good autographs that late or any special merch, but regular merchandize will be available. We have found that if we aren't after any limited stuff, that waiting until 11, we don't have to wait in that ridiculous line to get into the merchandize tent/building. We still have to wait a long time to pay.
I usually go in to get whatever tee they have for ap holders. We didn't go last year, but year before last it was a Darth Mall tee.

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
potentially yes, depending on what you are looking to do. What activities are you most interested in? Marie
My youngest sister will probably want to snag 1 or 2 autographs, see the Hoopla, and 'visit the sets' throughout the park. I am guessing that our arrival day will consist of resort check-in, and enjoying 'freebie' activities at DHS for the rest of the day. On Saturday, we will get up early and get in line for an autograph, but end our night at EP. On Sunday, we will see any missed shows, and then end our evening at MK with a dinner at BoG.

I am not really sure the absolute 'must sees' for my sister, as this is her treat (Christmas, 18th birthday, and graduation presents). I think more research will need to be done on her part, as I have this awesome forum to kinda guide her ;).

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

My sister received a Chewbaca bath robe for Christmas….she flipped out over that, so I can just imagine if she sees this character!
His meet and greet station is usually by the speeder across and down to the right from Star Tours heading toward Sci Fi. He usually stays out about 15 minutes then takes a break from the heat for a few and comes right back. We were around the curve to the back entrance to AI, but it only took us 25 minutes to get to him. He really does look just like the movie character.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

If you are looking for autographs from the celebrities themselves, I will tell you that 11am is WAY too late!! Fast passes are given out for Meet & Greets with the celebrities and they start well before park opening like at 6am!!!! Some popular celebs such as Ray Park actually start earlier than that. The Hoopla,sets and characters shouldnt be an issue though. Have a great time!! Marie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

My youngest sister will probably want to snag 1 or 2 autographs, see the Hoopla, and 'visit the sets' throughout the park. I am guessing that our arrival day will consist of resort check-in, and enjoying 'freebie' activities at DHS for the rest of the day. On Saturday, we will get up early and get in line for an autograph, but end our night at EP. On Sunday, we will see any missed shows, and then end our evening at MK with a dinner at BoG.

I am not really sure the absolute 'must sees' for my sister, as this is her treat (Christmas, 18th birthday, and graduation presents). I think more research will need to be done on her part, as I have this awesome forum to kinda guide her ;).
The line for autographs starts before midnight. Several of the people in line with us at the merch tent, had actually brought sleeping bags for the night. One family was telling us how much fun they had getting to know others while they waited. It's not often SW enthusiast get to be with so many like-minded people. This was on the first day of the event. I don't know if it's like that every day. We always try to make Friday and a Saturday.
We go the first weekend, so school in the area is usually still in, so the park isn't quite as crowded as Sat and Sun.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

As others have said, if it is the celebrity autographs you want you will need to get there incredibly, incredibly early especially if it is anyone of note. I have gotten in line as early as 3:00 AM and I was the next to last person to get an autograph fastpass.

If you are looking for character fastpasses, you can get there at pretty much any time, but count on an hour or more wait if you do not get there well before opening. It would be best to get there around 7:00 AM for an 8:00 opening and make your way straight to the autographs. You can usually knock out a few before any lines are there, but they will build quickly.

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
Thanks all for the advice! I am thinking that we'll 'camp out' for Saturday autographs, and enjoy all the other activities on Friday and Sunday….does this sound doable?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom