News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

21stamps

The ones who haven't seen it are probably ostracized at school. :joyfull:

Right.lol. My kid's 6th bday party was TFA themed. I invited all of the kindergarten boys...the invitation was a mesh of kid's face with Kylo Ren.. all of the kids appeared to know who that was, along with all of the other characters. I'm fairly confident that all 22 of them had seen the movie.

21stamps

There's no Star Wars show on Disney Junior. And Rogue One is very violent and earns its PG-13 rating.

Obviously Disney won't BAN children. That was a ridiculous suggestion by whomever brought it up. But I hope the experience is GEARED towards adults. The experiences and merchandise all need to be in-universe. Cheesy kiddie-specific activities will break immersion and hurt their ability to justify this as the ground-breaking experience they want it to be.

You're right, I made a mistake. It's Disney XD. That's an odd channel, with a weird mix of shows so we just watch it On Demand.

There is also Lego Star Wars on Netflix. Also geared for kids, not just tweens or teens.
If adults watch cartoons then awesome, more power to 'em.. but SW is huge with kids as well.. the ones the toys are actually made for..even though the adults try to snatch all them up for their obsession.lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's no Star Wars show on Disney Junior. And Rogue One is very violent and earns its PG-13 rating.

Obviously Disney won't BAN children. That was a ridiculous suggestion by whomever brought it up. But I hope the experience is GEARED towards adults. The experiences and merchandise all need to be in-universe. Cheesy kiddie-specific activities will break immersion and hurt their ability to justify this as the ground-breaking experience they want it to be.

I wouldn't hold out for a hardcore experience.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Right.lol. My kid's 6th bday party was TFA themed. I invited all of the kindergarten boys...the invitation was a mesh of kid's face with Kylo Ren.. all of the kids appeared to know who that was, along with all of the other characters. I'm fairly confident that all 22 of them had seen the movie.
That's kind of the problem. This experience will suck if it's the Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, and BB-8 show. They can't have kids with Darth Maul face paint running around because it breaks the story.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I wouldn't hold out for a hardcore experience.
How are you using "hardcore"? I don't mean sex and violence, I just want narrative consistency. The Jedi training, for example, can existing in a park with a movie conceit because it exists outside of the timeline. But it can't exist in this resort because the Jedi Order is all but extinct in the time and place of your voyage.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Correct, no Star Wars programs on Disney Junior, but I will leave this right here. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
How are you using "hardcore"? I don't mean sex and violence, I just want narrative consistency. The Jedi training, for example, can existing in a park with a movie conceit because it exists outside of the timeline. But it can't exist in this resort because the Jedi Order is all but extinct in the time and place of your voyage.

Meaning hard, unbending edges. The environment is meant to accommodate both those engaged and those being passive. It's being targeted at existing Disney deluxe customers.

I'm thinking more along the lines of how Disney face characters play along in conversation and extend from there... not strict banning of objects, etc. a kid pained up as darth maul someone might comment on his choice and what they've heard about that character... and talk to them about why. Not ban the face painting.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Correct, no Star Wars programs on Disney Junior, but I will leave this right here. ;)

As I said, I do not dispute that these fans EXIST. I just don't want Disney to let them drive the look and feel of this experience.

Think "Animal Kingdom Lodge" versus the Lion King section of Art of Animation. One is authentic, one is kitsch. Kids can enjoy both but one of them is obviously more mature in its presentation.

21stamps

I meant to type Disney XD.. in my experience most boys by the age of 6 are not watching Disney Jr shows as much as they were the 2 years prior to that age.
That's kind of the problem. This experience will suck if it's the Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, and BB-8 show. They can't have kids with Darth Maul face paint running around because it breaks the story.

You are the Ultimate Star Wars Nerd.

I say that affectionately, but I will trip you if I see you going after a toy that Santa needs at Christmastime.

Lets Respect

I'm thinking more along the lines of how Disney face characters play along in conversation and extend from there... not strict banning of objects, etc. a kid pained up as darth maul someone might comment on his choice and what they've heard about that character... and talk to them about why. Not ban the face painting.

I think this is how it will be...the characters will be "hardcore" into it and not break character. The guests, on the other hand, not so much.

njDizFan

I'm asking this as a parent who didn't let my kid watch tv or movies before age 3.5 and has heavy parental controls on every tv and electronic device in our house- and the point of CSM is to break down the ratings/scenes/topics so the parent can decide (which is why I love it so much!)

What is inappropriate for a 7 year old with Star Wars?

But more importantly, how many 6-9 year olds, especially boys, do you think haven't seen SW? Do you think the ones who haven't seen it are the majority or minority?

Marvel (and all super hero movies) for instance is too violent/adult themes in my personal opinion, we don't watch the Marvel movies, but SW? It's so different to me, maybe because I grew up with it.
I do not have any demographics for most of those answers, only I know my 7 year old boy has not watched any SW. Since it is not part of his lexicon I have heard it being discussed with his friends. Some of the films can be fairly violent ( scene with Anakin getting his limbs lightsabered etc.) but mostly its the content. I find nothing objectionable with them watching EM Foster's Room with a View but it certainly is too mature in theme and/or they would not fully understand the context.

njDizFan

The ones who haven't seen it are probably ostracized at school. :joyfull:
Listen I know it has a huge fanbase but for the under 8 crowd I have not seen it as a big draw at Halloween or in schools(backpacks etc.). Much more at that age I am seeing Marvel and TMNT. Honestly, do you think a 5 year old should watch the SW movies, and would they really comprehend what is happening? If the answer is no to either then why not let your kid wait...what's the rush?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, do you think a 5 year old should watch the SW movies, and would they really comprehend what is happening? If the answer is no to either then why not let your kid wait...what's the rush?

As someone who was a kid at the time of the movie's releases... I disagree :) Tho the 'too be continued..' style ending of Empire still haunts me to this day :)

My newphews who are in the 5-10 bracket in the last few years were also well aware and fans. They take it in in different doses.

njDizFan

As someone who was a kid at the time of the movie's releases... I disagree :) Tho the 'too be continued..' style ending of Empire still haunts me to this day :)

My newphews who are in the 5-10 bracket in the last few years were also well aware and fans. They take it in in different doses.
As I am as well. I saw the original in the theater at the age of 9 and it was my world for many years. Again kindergarten(5-6) and 3rd grade(8-9) is a huge disparity in comprehension. But the original trilogy definitely comes off a little less cynical and is indeed a more family friendly feature. 1-2-3 are a little more bogged down in exposition and much more violent.

21stamps

I do not have any demographics for most of those answers, only I know my 7 year old boy has not watched any SW. Since it is not part of his lexicon I have heard it being discussed with his friends. Some of the films can be fairly violent ( scene with Anakin getting his limbs lightsabered etc.) but mostly its the content. I find nothing objectionable with them watching EM Foster's Room with a View but it certainly is too mature in theme and/or they would not fully understand the context.
Listen I know it has a huge fanbase but for the under 8 crowd I have not seen it as a big draw at Halloween or in schools(backpacks etc.). Much more at that age I am seeing Marvel and TMNT. Honestly, do you think a 5 year old should watch the SW movies, and would they really comprehend what is happening? If the answer is no to either then why not let your kid wait...what's the rush?

My experience is very different. Maybe because most of the parents are fans, and then the other kids get into it because their friends are. We've been to SW themed after SW themed bday party in the past year and a half, and even our summer camp has an entire Star Wars theme week.

The super heros are popular with them, but the movies not as much. Personal preference I guess.. but I think the adult content in Marvel is a lot more prevalent than what is seen in SW.

I should add that I agree that they probably don't understand all of it.. mostly due to the order of the movies. It took a few minutes for my kid to realize what was going on in Rogue One, who the characters were, and it was definitely his least favorite of the bunch, but he did love the battle scene for sure.

If you look at stores- from PBK to Bed Bath and Beyond to Toys R Us the merchandise is definitely being marketed to that age group.

I don't know many tweens who are running around with light sabers and Star Wars mini figures, I think at that age they've already outgrown a lot of the toys.

This hotel should definitely be a mix of people I think.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom