Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

D

Deleted member 107043

Both of the recent land purchases on Manchester already contain large buildings, maybe they can be quickly retrofitted for what Disney needs rather than needing new construction. Unless that's where the garage is going, so many unknowns right now.

My understanding is the garage is going on the existing Disney parking lot adjacent to the Manchester property. There's a lot in play here, which is why I wouldn't anticipate construction of SW land before 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

If the petting zoo and ranch area does close after Christmas, that will be a huge sign of something, even if bloggers can't get pictures of much from the roof of Mickey & Friends until 2017.

But if the ranch closes in January, that must mean backstage demolition will begin shortly, if it hasn't already begun by January.

It's funny how we all need to see bulldozers in action before we believe Disney is actually going through with what they said they were going to do. :D

ULPO46

Question on the millennium falcon ride. Anyine hear wheter this is another simulator orwill this be a cheesy roller coaster. Let's face it its difficult to imitate spaceflight on earth without the use of simulators. Hinestly thought disney would be more creative on this one. But looking forward to the cantina. Heard that Parks and Resorts test kitchen is working on Bantha Blue Milk. Lets remeber that in the original Star Wars, the blue milk was a prop made of welchs grape juice. So i ope it isnt grape flavored but it be cool to get something bold. Because butterbeer honestly isnt out of this world.

BrianLo

A few observations from my end down here in this sub-forum.

I was not actively cheering for ToonTown's closure (although I'm certainly fine if it gets replaced), I think I so want it desperately to close at this point because otherwise the fan-base revisionist history will never accept that it was the plan at one point. The same way that the masses will never accept Tomorrowland/Subs was very much the plan for a while.

On the other hand, if they somehow scrounge up 14 acres between both Big Thunder Ranch and backstage without ToonTown - I say that's awesome! If only for the fact it provide a not-altogether insignificant expansion plot in Disneyland via ToonTown some years down the line. Whether that be for Fantasyland, Star Wars or something completely new, it's poorly utilized space right now and Disneyland is relatively short on space.

Perhaps @GiveMeTheMusic can back me up on this, but I really don't believe the concept art was for DHS as the WDW Rumours section seems to believe. It just doesn't make sense, we have every indication DL is happening first.

GiveMeTheMusic

A few observations from my end down here in this sub-forum.

I was not actively cheering for ToonTown's closure (although I'm certainly fine if it gets replaced), I think I so want it desperately to close at this point because otherwise the fan-base revisionist history will never accept that it was the plan at one point. The same way that the masses will never accept Tomorrowland/Subs was very much the plan for a while.

On the other hand, if they somehow scrounge up 14 acres between both Big Thunder Ranch and backstage without ToonTown - I say that's awesome! If only for the fact it provide a not-altogether insignificant expansion plot in Disneyland via ToonTown some years down the line. Whether that be for Fantasyland, Star Wars or something completely new, it's poorly utilized space right now and Disneyland is relatively short on space.

Perhaps @GiveMeTheMusic can back me up on this, but I really don't believe the concept art was for DHS as the WDW Rumours section seems to believe. It just doesn't make sense, we have every indication DL is happening first.

TBH, I'm not sure. The configuration of the concept art is so...up for interpretation that I don't know how the two projects will differ, if at all. I wouldn't put it past them to build two completely identical SWLs.

D

Deleted member 107043

There's a reliable poster over at Laughing Place who works for WDI (as a contractor I believe) in Asia, and according to him the artwork shown at D23 isn't final and the design is still evolving. He's warned that what the parks are getting will most likely look quite different from the current concept art being shown.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

That's very funny, because I have been thinking the exact same thing!

I seriously doubt Toontown is going anywhere.
Every time I'm at the park, which is often, it is busy back there. Other than Fantasyland, it is the only part of the park that is specific for little little kids. And it is just not that big!

I can, however, easily imagine another entrance into Star Wars from the back of it.

Star Wars should have three entrances.
1: Back of Toontown,
2: Behind the Ranch
3: By Pooh's shop in Critter Country.

As for discovery bay? I wish is would happen, but it is not going to. The closest you'll get is at DLP.

I think they should move Star Tours over to SWland, then do a HUGE refurb of Tomorrowland.
It desperately needs it. There are weeds growing on top of the People Mover/Rocket Rod's track.
As someone who grew up going to WDW, DL is seriously lacking the showmanship in this regard.

Phroobar

Maybe that is the plan? Once they open Star Wars land, they can close Tomorrowland for remodeling for a few years. They did something similar on a ride scale back when Space Mountain first opened in 77. Since up to then the Matterhorn was the only thrill ride in the park, they had to wait until Space Mountain was up before putting in the ice caves and Harold into the Matterhorn. Before that it was all steel work.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I'd be surprised if they removed the actual trail. I would imagine they would want/need a buffer area between the two lands.

mickEblu

I don't think the trail will be going anywhere. Just the peaceful ambiance will be gone with people trying to get to Star Wars Land in droves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom