Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

George Lucas on a Bench

One thing's for sure, Gary Sinise is terrifying in Mission: Space.

hqdefault.jpg

Ahh!

Anyway...

Hearing rumblings of a January 2016 closure for Big Thunder Ranch and construction on Star Wars to begin sooner than expected. I, for one, hope there are Ewoks to meet in this spaceport.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I have bad memories of Mission Space. I was egged on to ride it when I had the flu back in 2009 on my first trip to Orlando. I'm glad nothing exited my body.

ULPO46

I'm still skeptical how you can pull of a ride with star wars. It cant be a kiddie ride but it cant be a coaster either. So once again we are stuck with star tours type simulator. But what if said simulator offers you to pilot a tie fighter or X Y wing fighters and you can go to battle? There really isnt much you can do eith star wars except some new decor, add a new dining facility and maybe a rebooted star wars live show. Im optimistic but the Star Wars brand is kind of difficult to represent in the real world. We can't be naive on this one. I hope we can get the same attractions at both DL and WDW. Not everyone can afford to travel back and forth to check out the new park upgrades when they finish. Also media is reporting construction to begin as early as late next year early 2017 with a completion set to 2019. Not sure where this came from but everyone from the LA time to the chicago tribune to fox and Cnn are reporting the same thing.

Vegas Disney Fan

Also media is reporting construction to begin as early as late next year early 2017 with a completion set to 2019. Not sure where this came from but everyone from the LA time to the chicago tribune to fox and Cnn are reporting the same thing.
Anaheim and Disney made a deal that they would spend $1.5 billion on upgrades in exchange for no ticket tax. One of the provisions is work has to start before 2017 so Disney's hands are tied and they have to start next year per the contract with the city.

ULPO46

Anaheim and Disney made a deal that they would spend $1.5 billion on upgrades in exchange for no ticket tax. One of the provisions is work has to start before 2017 so Disney's hands are tied and they have to start next year per the contract with the city.
So ive read and seen. But the question is which parks expansion will open or build first? With DHS we have yet to get a real date how ever we know that Disneyland will begin sometime in 2017 but when will DHS begin?

D

Deleted member 107043

That doesn't mean that DL's SW construction will commence next year though, and I've heard that the final design of the land far from being done. I'm expecting this project to be dragged out for years, much like The World of Avatar was after it was announced.

The most logical rumored timeline I've read is that the first phase of construction will be on a much needed parking structure east of the resort along with the relocation of some of the operations facilities behind DL to the recently acquired property adjacent to the parking structure site. Once all that business is done then SW land construction will commence. Either way I guess we'll find out soon!

Stevek

That doesn't mean that DL's SW construction will commence next year though, and I've heard that the final design of the land far from being done. I'm expecting this project to be dragged out for years, much like The World of Avatar was after it was announced.

The most logical rumored timeline I've read is that the first phase of construction will be on a much needed parking structure east of the resort along with the relocation of some of the operations facilities behind DL to the recently acquired property adjacent to the parking structure site. Once all that business is done then SW land construction will commence. Either way I guess we'll find out soon!
Agree on the construction...But you may see some land clearing sooner?

D

Deleted member 107043

Agree on the construction...But you may see some land clearing sooner?

Maybe? We know that Big Thunder Ranch is smaller than 14 acres, therefore the assumption is that the SW land footprint will extend north and into the facilities operations area behind the park. So I wouldn't expect anything big to happen until those functions have been relocated, presumably across the street.

Stevek

Maybe? We know that Big Thunder Ranch is smaller than 14 acres, therefore the assumption is that the SW land footprint will extend north and into the facilities operations area behind the park. So I wouldn't expect anything big to happen until those functions have been relocated, presumably across the street.
If the ranch area is closing in Jan like some are saying, gotta believe its to give them a head start on at least that plot of land. But yeah, the real work will not happen until they figure out where to move Circle D and the other facilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom