Star Wars Rebels Cartoon

danlb_2000

Premium Member
One of the great things that Rebels has going for it is that we don't know the ultimate fate of any of the main characters. Ahsoka was a great addition to Clone Wars because we didn't know her fate, but story arc for most of the other characters was pretty limited.

FoozieBear

One of the great things that Rebels has going for it is that we don't know the ultimate fate of any of the main characters. Ahsoka was a great addition to Clone Wars because we didn't know her fate, but story arc for most of the other characters was pretty limited.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and something that kind of lost all suspense in The Clone Wars. We knew all of the characters' fates in the end, so I found all the action scenes less exciting, and the story less suspenseful.

tribbleorlfl

That's kind of my point though, it has been around since the 70s and its still a huge hit with adults that grew up with it but I question if our newest generation will feel the same way long term and like I said, could be reaching here but this cartoon could help show that.
Highly anecdotal review of SW clothing and backpacks at my son's school confirms the franchise is still going strong.

Halloweenhead

Just watched episode 2. Really impressed, I like the way they are developing the characters, it making interesting viewing. Might not be as 'dark' as clone wars but it certainly has that early Star Wars 'magic'.

I read someone posted somewhere that it's like Aladdin in space, which I thought was unfair (but funny!)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just watched episode 2. Really impressed, I like the way they are developing the characters, it making interesting viewing. Might not be as 'dark' as clone wars but it certainly has that early Star Wars 'magic'.

I read someone posted somewhere that it's like Aladdin in space, which I thought was unfair (but funny!)

Where did you see Episode 2?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
From Entertainment Weekly -

The biggest, baddest villain in the Star Wars universe is making a surprise return appearance.

Darth Vader will appear in an upcoming special presentation of Disney’s new animated series Star Wars Rebels. The best part: He will be voiced by the iconic character’s original actor, James Earl Jones.

Rebels recently delivered 6.5 million viewers in its Disney Channel premiere, titled Spark of Rebellion (you might say that viewership is most impressive). Now Disney plans to re-air the Episode IV prequel on its flagship ABC broadcast network. But to make the event extra special, an additional scene is being added featuring the black helmeted Sith Lord.

“We wanted to do something special for the ABC broadcast,” said executive producer Dave Filoni. “We’ve added a scene which gives audiences insight into the Inquisitor and includes a cameo by Darth Vader voiced by the distinguished actor James Earl Jones.”

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The biggest, baddest villain in the Star Wars universe is making a surprise return appearance.

Darth Vader will appear in an upcoming special presentation of Disney’s new animated series Star Wars Rebels. The best part: He will be voiced by the iconic character’s original actor, James Earl Jones.

Rebels recently delivered 6.5 million viewers in its Disney Channel premiere, titled Spark of Rebellion (you might say that viewership is most impressive). Now Disney plans to re-air the Episode IV prequel on its flagship ABC broadcast network. But to make the event extra special, an additional scene is being added featuring the black helmeted Sith Lord.

“We wanted to do something special for the ABC broadcast,” said executive producer Dave Filoni. “We’ve added a scene which gives audiences insight into the Inquisitor and includes a cameo by Darth Vader voiced by the distinguished actor James Earl Jones.”
Unrelated, but am I alone in hoping that James Earl Jones acts exactly like he did in Big Bang Theory in real life?:)

Halloweenhead

I liked the fact they didn't need to use Darth Vader straight away; build the other characters first. I hope it is a small cameo because at the moment I doubt Darth Vader would be to fussed about a group of 'cowboys'.

For what it's worth, I am a big Vader fan.

Bairstow

Well I watched the first episode, and even that was a struggle.
This cartoon does an exceedingly bad job of straddling the tone and sensibilities of the original movies (about a dozen "bad guys" are shot and killed in the first 3 minutes and no one cares) with the broad characterization and dumb dialogue of a children's cartoon. I especially liked the one scene where the orange alien woman is explaining to the blue-haired hero kid who the ship's crew are and it sounded like it was taken directly from the summary on the spec-script. The art direction is disappointing as well- all the ships and suits and robots and things are taken directly from the movies and are more or less unaltered, but every character's face is weirdly stylized with huge eyes and cat-like noses. Maybe this is an artifact of the previous Star Wars cartoons, but it's weird and off-putting. Worse than that, the actual animation of the computer models is extremely limited; there's not much care going into the gestures, facial expressions, or walk cycles of the characters to give them any personality. The lighting on the models is also disappointing- every scene seems to have the most boring, medium-intensity light on it possible, and there's a soft focus haze on most of the backgrounds, probably to hide their simplicity. In short, everything looks rushed or lazy. There isn't any creativity to the sound or music design either, as it's all drawn directly from the film library with little or no variation. I suppose the plot and character development may go somewhere eventually, but already feel like the 20-or-so minutes I've invested in the series was a waste.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well I watched the first episode, and even that was a struggle.
This cartoon does an exceedingly bad job of straddling the tone and sensibilities of the original movies (about a dozen "bad guys" are shot and killed in the first 3 minutes and no one cares) with the broad characterization and dumb dialogue of a children's cartoon. I especially liked the one scene where the orange alien woman is explaining to the blue-haired hero kid who the ship's crew are and it sounded like it was taken directly from the summary on the spec-script. The art direction is disappointing as well- all the ships and suits and robots and things are taken directly from the movies and are more or less unaltered, but every character's face is weirdly stylized with huge eyes and cat-like noses. Maybe this is an artifact of the previous Star Wars cartoons, but it's weird and off-putting. Worse than that, the actual animation of the computer models is extremely limited; there's not much care going into the gestures, facial expressions, or walk cycles of the characters to give them any personality. The lighting on the models is also disappointing- every scene seems to have the most boring, medium-intensity light on it possible, and there's a soft focus haze on most of the backgrounds, probably to hide their simplicity. In short, everything looks rushed or lazy. There isn't any creativity to the sound or music design either, as it's all drawn directly from the film library with little or no variation. I suppose the plot and character development may go somewhere eventually, but already feel like the 20-or-so minutes I've invested in the series was a waste.

I like the series so far, but I do agree that the production values are not as good as the Clone Wars series. My understanding is that this series has a lower budget then the Clone Wars had.

Bairstow

I like the series so far, but I do agree that the production values are not as good as the Clone Wars series. My understanding is that this series has a lower budget then the Clone Wars had.

So which studio is producing this? Is it the Tron Uprising people?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom