Star Wars Launch Bay coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios later this year

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ohhh, I want this bet to happen, only so I can follow along, and also wish I could be part of the subsequent dinner.

So do I,

People mistake my pessimism about how the company operates their flagship park for a general dislike of Disney, I've been a fan and a visitor at WDW since I was a kid and that spans 30 years The way I look at it if I LOSE we ALL win, And I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.

The last 6 years or so have been a real downer as far as WDW goes, WDW is being milked for other areas of the company. The 500mil that was spent on Maker Studios - Iger should have just put a pile of cash out and burned it because that investment in a YouTube channel was an utter failure. Imagine if they had spent 500 Million at WDW all at once, What could have been built that we could all enjoy instead of looking at the over under on whether what's been announced for DHS actually gets built.

Yeah I'm frustrated with today's management of the parks, I want to go back to a time when there were always new things to enjoy at WDW not like today where we measure what did Disney close THIS month and not replace.

Next Big Thing

DHS appears to be heading towards a DCA-style parkwide redo. Except they haven't really announced it as such like Bob Iger did with DCA in October, 2007. That's probably because the DHS "brand" is much stronger and not as tarnished as the DCA brand name was by the mid 2000's.

But using that five year DCA program as a guide, they had a series of new rides, new shows, plus radically rebuilt aesthetics and themed facades opening in stages throughout the park from 2008 to 2011. And then they capped it all off with the debut of Cars Land in June, 2012, and it was all a smash success.

Star Wars Land at DHS seems to be taking the role that Cars Land did for DCA. It will be the big grand finale' for the remade park, but it will be the last thing to open. And it appears that the Disneyland version will open first, perhaps by 18 to 24 months.

A reminder that DCA's Little Mermaid ride opened in May, 2011 a full 18 months before the cloned version opened at Magic Kingdom in November, 2012, for example.
You sure typed a lot of words to not say much of anything.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney posted an audition notice for this. Auditions are September 14th through the 24th.

Disney Creative Entertainment is seeking energetic and outgoing performers for Character roles at the brand new STAR WARS Launch Bay experience, coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios® at the Walt Disney World® Resort near Orlando, FL. We are currently only hiring for FULL TIME positions. Seasonal work is not available.

Performers must have a height between 6’ and 6’3”.

The Star Wars Launch Bay is an interactive experience which will take guests into the upcoming film, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with Star Wars characters.

Performers will also have the opportunity to bring to life the world famous Disney Characters.

Seeking the following roles:

Character Performers:
Male and Female, 6’ – 6’3”, with a slender or athletic build. Performers should be willing to demonstrate high energy levels, a full range of motion with their bodies, and basic coordination to music. These roles require wearing large body costumes, heads, and feet, and exposure to hot and humid weather.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Disney posted an audition notice for this. Auditions are September 14th through the 24th.

Disney Creative Entertainment is seeking energetic and outgoing performers for Character roles at the brand new STAR WARS Launch Bay experience, coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios® at the Walt Disney World® Resort near Orlando, FL. We are currently only hiring for FULL TIME positions. Seasonal work is not available.

The Star Wars Launch Bay is an interactive experience which will take guests into the upcoming film, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with Star Wars characters.

Performers will also have the opportunity to bring to life the world famous Disney Characters.

Seeking the following roles:

Character Performers:
Male and Female, 6’ – 6’3”, with a slender or athletic build. Performers should be willing to demonstrate high energy levels, a full range of motion with their bodies, and basic coordination to music. These roles require wearing large body costumes, heads, and feet, and exposure to hot and humid weather.
Darn, don't have an "athletic build"

Magenta Panther

Wow, I had no idea Princess Leia is so tall. :eek:

Magenta Panther

DHS appears to be heading towards a DCA-style parkwide redo. Except they haven't really announced it as such like Bob Iger did with DCA in October, 2007. That's probably because the DHS "brand" is much stronger and not as tarnished as the DCA brand name was by the mid 2000's.

But using that five year DCA program as a guide, they had a series of new rides, new shows, plus radically rebuilt aesthetics and themed facades opening in stages throughout the park from 2008 to 2011. And then they capped it all off with the debut of Cars Land in June, 2012, and it was all a smash success.

Star Wars Land at DHS seems to be taking the role that Cars Land did for DCA. It will be the big grand finale' for the remade park, but it will be the last thing to open. And it appears that the Disneyland version will open first, perhaps by 18 to 24 months.

A reminder that DCA's Little Mermaid ride opened in May, 2011 a full 18 months before the cloned version opened at Magic Kingdom in November, 2012, for example.

I wonder if there's going to be any actual "Hollywood" left in the redone park, or is it just going to be a showcase for Iger's off-studio purchases? Will Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard remain, and will it make any thematic sense if they do?

Mickey5150

So do I,

People mistake my pessimism about how the company operates their flagship park for a general dislike of Disney, I've been a fan and a visitor at WDW since I was a kid and that spans 30 years The way I look at it if I LOSE we ALL win, And I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.

The last 6 years or so have been a real downer as far as WDW goes, WDW is being milked for other areas of the company. The 500mil that was spent on Maker Studios - Iger should have just put a pile of cash out and burned it because that investment in a YouTube channel was an utter failure. Imagine if they had spent 500 Million at WDW all at once, What could have been built that we could all enjoy instead of looking at the over under on whether what's been announced for DHS actually gets built.

Yeah I'm frustrated with today's management of the parks, I want to go back to a time when there were always new things to enjoy at WDW not like today where we measure what did Disney close THIS month and not replace.
Imagine if Walt had been able to keep Oswald, then none of these forums would exist.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I wonder if there's going to be any actual "Hollywood" left in the redone park, or is it just going to be a showcase for Iger's off-studio purchases? Will Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard remain, and will it make any thematic sense if they do?

No need to worry about the "Hollywood" areas for the east side of the park. Center area okay too.

*1023*

djkidkaz

In the concept art you can see people playing xbox, disney infinity game, the movie trailer running in the background and a little girl with some r2d2 merchandise. This essentially looks like Wattos Grotto with some video games, some displays and a character meet and greet. Why they didn't just add this into the upcoming Watto Grotto area is beyond me.

Animaniac93-98

I feel sorry for the CMs who will have to answer the same question 90 times a day: "When will Star Wars Land open?"

Followed 30% of the time by a 20 minute rant about how Mommy and Daddy paid x number of dollars for the trip, and the place should be open NOW because they and Bobby, Suzy and Spot all drove down from Jersey to see the place... (and so on).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom