Star Wars Launch Bay coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios later this year

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I Strongly agree with you on Captain Phasma and Boba Fett, can't believe you can't see her or any other random SW friends and enemies in there(like R2-D2 and C3-PO). The stage show kinda ruined our chances to meet them. :(

I'm general, the meet and greets have become much more "official" over the last few years. I can't think of any characters that just wander around or things like that. My understanding is that this is an effort for crowd control. Every character I saw out when I was there this summer had a schedule, a specified area, and a line set up.

I can understand why though, characters can draw Big crowds. Especially Star Wars characters. The launch bay is crowded enough when all there is character wise walking around is some jawas. Could you imagine how difficult it would be to get around if Bobba Fett showed up a couple times a day? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of characters wandering around or "impromptu" meet and greets, but I understand why they are being phased out in favor of things like Chewbacca and kylo in launch bay or princess fairytale hall. I think these little star wars show are a practical way to do character experiences without making space for full M&Gs for every character (especially with how popular star wars characters are).

Otterhead

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of characters wandering around or "impromptu" meet and greets, but I understand why they are being phased out in favor of things like Chewbacca and kylo in launch bay or princess fairytale hall.
There's no shortage of random Stormtrooper encounters, though. A friend of mine and his wife were there last week, and she was accosted by Stormtroopers for wearing Chewbacca-themed Mickey ears. They accused her of being a Rebel sympathizer and tried interrogating her for information. They didn't know that she's an actual interrogator in real life, and she 'outsmarted' them. It was one of their favorite memories of the trip.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
There's no shortage of random Stormtrooper encounters, though. A friend of mine and his wife were there last week, and she was accosted by Stormtroopers for wearing Chewbacca-themed Mickey ears. They accused her of being a Rebel sympathizer and tried interrogating her for information. They didn't know that she's an actual interrogator in real life, and she 'outsmarted' them. It was one of their favorite memories of the trip.
That's awesome! But generic storm troopers and jawas and things like that are different than specific, major, fan favorite characters. I mean, Captain Phasma might be able to just go around because I don't think she has quite as huge a following as a lot of other characters (Didn't really catch on as far as I can tell). But Bobba Fett would cause a huge crowd to form.

Matt_Black

That's awesome! But generic storm troopers and jawas and things like that are different than specific, major, fan favorite characters. I mean, Captain Phasma might be able to just go around because I don't think she has quite as huge a following as a lot of other characters (Didn't really catch on as far as I can tell). But Bobba Fett would cause a huge crowd to form.

Yeah. In much the same way that the Green Army men are different from Buzz or Woody.

Magic Feather

Honestly the entire meet n greet culture has changed. It all started when meeting characters became a priority for families at the parks, over attractions and experinces. If everyone wants to meet Mickey and he pops out on MS USA, there is going to be madness. Especially with MDX now in play Disney made this planning culture. Even if Disney did a hard stop, and only did pop out encounters, certain websites (like a certain pirate) woukd find schedules, and boom, your are stuck with the same line in a place that can't handle it.

Regarding Vader and Ren, there are two "bridges" and queues, so it could easily be accomadated. Even more so if Visa would head out.

brb1006

Honestly the entire meet n greet culture has changed. It all started when meeting characters became a priority for families at the parks, over attractions and experinces. If everyone wants to meet Mickey and he pops out on MS USA, there is going to be madness. Especially with MDX now in play Disney made this planning culture. Even if Disney did a hard stop, and only did pop out encounters, certain websites (like a certain pirate) woukd find schedules, and boom, your are stuck with the same line in a place that can't handle it.

Regarding Vader and Ren, there are two "bridges" and queues, so it could easily be accomadated. Even more so if Visa would head out.
In fact can someone make a thread titled "Meet and greets vs wandering characters"?

doctornick

They could easily do something like Vader from 9am-1pm, Kylo Ren from 2pm-close or something like that.

Or have one of them be the regular M&G and have the other one be the Visa M&G (would be more of a special thing for the Visa holders instead of them getting the same M&G just with a shorter line).

Ryan H. Serowinski

They want the focus on Kylo. He's the "Vader" of the new series. Rogue One is cool and all, but the strength of the Star Wars franchise going forward is the Episodes, not the spin offs. They want the focus on Kylo Ren. They want BB-8 over R2-D2. First Order over the Empire.
I'm just going to think Rogue One won't be as good as Force Awakens, and I still love BB-8 more(sorry R2 fans).

Eckert

With Star Wars Land coming in with the intention of being hyper-realistic, do you think we'll even see Star Wars characters once it opens? I can easily see it becoming like the Wizarding World where you can't meet any of the named characters.

Jones14

The video game room is now walled off. Not sure what will replace it.
It'd be nice to have another themed area like the cantina, or a Star Wars Land preview center with models and concept art. Actually, they could mash the two together and I'd be happy. Just PLEASE make the space useful; they waste enough in the current setup.

Eckert

The video game room is now walled off. Not sure what will replace it.
I better be taking a picture with Darth Vader or feasting my eyes on a scaled model of Star Wars Land OR ELSE

But I think they might just be updating the apps on those iPads :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom