Star Wars land to disneyland toontown?

George Lucas on a Bench

Tomorrowland is cheap. It's just a bunch of cartoons and junk that doesn't even fit the theme, ugly clashing architecture, a nonsensical giant mural of flying Space Mountains, antiquated gas cars that pollute the environment, a trade show thing that everyone hates and is only around for unrelated comic book meet and greets and the sad remains of classic attractions. I say Star Wars it up.

Californian Elitist

Tomorrowland is cheap. It's just a bunch of cartoons and junk that doesn't even fit the theme, ugly clashing architecture, a nonsensical giant mural of flying Space Mountains, antiquated gas cars that pollute the environment, a trade show thing that everyone hates and is only around for unrelated comic book meet and greets and the sad remains of classic attractions. I say Star Wars it up.

I agree with everything, except the very last sentence.

rle4lunch

Okay, let me explain. Toontown feels like a cheap add-on, after-the-fact, addition. Maybe it's supposed to feel that way, who am I to compare it to the cardboard/plastic cutout junk at either one of the UNI parks? I, too, agree that Tomorrowland feels cheap as well, and vastly underutilized for such a busy land. BUT, Tomorrowland is an original land, with Space Mountain. And while, yes, Star Wars fits with the 'theme', and Star Tours is there, there is no way to just plop an entire land worthy of DL standards into Tomorrowland, without going the ultra cheap route.

Do I think that Buzz's shoot-em up ride should go? Yes. It's c r a p. Do I think Captain EO theatre should be used for something other than a 30 year film about a pedophile dancing with a handsome Morticia Addams? Yes. Do I think Pizza Port should be demolished? YES. Do I think that Innoventions should be used for SOMETHING, ANYTHING (the temporary meet n greet stuff is cool for what it is)? Yes.

So, unless Anaheim can pull some magic Carsland pixie dust out of their b u t t, they need to build a new land. Toontown should be the first place to go if they can't make it fit in Tomorrowland.

George Lucas on a Bench

I enjoy Buzz Lightyear.

Pizza Port is a truly terrible restaurant. But then, so is the Tomorrowland Terrace for that matter. However, Pizza Port occupies space formerly used by an attraction and has no history, making it far more offensive. Innoventions AKA the former Carousel Theater is a piece of crap. I would classify it alongside the Peoplemover track as a sad remain of former attraction. I love Captain EO, but to be "fair" (and actually, this really bites), it's already been replaced with movie trailers.

rle4lunch

I enjoy Buzz Lightyear.

Pizza Port is a truly terrible restaurant. But then, so is the Tomorrowland Terrace for that matter. However, Pizza Port occupies space formerly used by an attraction and has no history, making it far more offensive. Innoventions AKA the former Carousel Theater is a piece of ****. I would classify it alongside the Peoplemover track as a sad remain of former attraction. I love Captain EO, but to be "fair" (and actually, this really bites), it's already been replaced with movie trailers.

Captain EO was probably cool in 1988, but the retro feel of it is more of a joke than anything. We used it for the air conditioning more than anything. And yes, I know it's not been EO for a while now, which is fine by me. Agreed, TT food is horrendous. They used to have great breakfast burritos, but they've discontinued that on their menu. Buzz is much better than the WDW version, but it needs an update or something to it. It's fun to spin the car around and p I s s off your wife, so I guess it's good for a laugh more than anything.

mharrington

Having read the article about Bob Iger's plans to give the parks a bigger Star Wars presence (http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/st...-to-be-based-on-new-films-not-old-1201376154/), I'm starting to wonder what is going to happen. He said that they wanted to do it big and to do it right, which takes time. However, that was as far as he went. He did not specify what parks would have a Star Wars presence, much less where at the Disneyland Resort the stuff would go.

All I know is I really hope that it is not in Toontown. I love that section, and to close would do a great disservice to having a home for Mickey and the gang and to have a section in the park primarily for kids.

GiveMeTheMusic

Having read the article about Bob Iger's plans to give the parks a bigger Star Wars presence (http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/st...-to-be-based-on-new-films-not-old-1201376154/), I'm starting to wonder what is going to happen. He said that they wanted to do it big and to do it right, which takes time. However, that was as far as he went. He did not specify what parks would have a Star Wars presence, much less where at the Disneyland Resort the stuff would go.

All I know is I really hope that it is not in Toontown. I love that section, and to close would do a great disservice to having a home for Mickey and the gang and to have a section in the park primarily for kids.

Taking the discussion here.

Imagineers are not ignorant of the fireworks situation - it's being taken into account as they plan the expansion. Tons of logistic hurdles have to be overcome when planning something of this size - anything as obvious as fireworks has already entered the discussion for them.

MiceAge has a TON of credibility - I'm not sure where you've heard otherwise. They're usually only wrong when plans change (which they do frequently) - they are almost always dead on accurate at the time something is reported.

When I say public information, I mean that Disney hasn't announced it yet. But again, just because Iger isn't blabbing about unannounced plans doesn't change the fact that there are plans, and right now those plans involve removing Toontown.

Whether that's a good or bad decision is subjective. Toontown is a shadow of its former self - lawyered to death. The only real loss in my mind is Roger Rabbit, which is a great dark ride.

mharrington

Imagineers are not ignorant of the fireworks situation - it's being taken into account as they plan the expansion. Tons of logistic hurdles have to be overcome when planning something of this size - anything as obvious as fireworks has already entered the discussion for them.

Well, for one thing, I have no idea where they can move the fireworks. There's really not a lot of room to move it around.

MiceAge has a TON of credibility - I'm not sure where you've heard otherwise. They're usually only wrong when plans change (which they do frequently) - they are almost always dead on accurate at the time something is reported.

Well, for one thing, here: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31430. Here's what they said:

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Those are nothing more than the usual big fat lies that MiceChat likes to create and make up just to get attention and publicity. They must be ignored at all costs--they have absolutely no credibility whatsoever, they have major attitude problems at that site and they've always posted rumors and lies as "news" only for them to not pan out, giving the MiceChatters excuses to tear Disney down.

Californian Elitist

Well, for one thing, here: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31430. Here's what they said:

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Those are nothing more than the usual big fat lies that MiceChat likes to create and make up just to get attention and publicity. They must be ignored at all costs--they have absolutely no credibility whatsoever, they have major attitude problems at that site and they've always posted rumors and lies as "news" only for them to not pan out, giving the MiceChatters excuses to tear Disney down.

Dude, you do realize this came from some random on a forum?

mharrington

Dude, you do realize this came from some random on a forum?

And here's what else they said:

They [the alleged lies created by MiceChat] always spread like viruses to other sites all the time when made-up sensationalistic stories such as this get created by any website, so this is nothing new, especially coming from the very mean-spirited and Fox News-esque MiceChat.

Plus, I fully agree with your point on the MiceChatters hating Toontown and that they're only making things up because they hate it. They've expressed similar hatred for other attractions as well, like Muppet-Vision 3D, the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Autopia, etc. to the point where they made up lies saying that DL would be closing them for good and, of course, those stories were ultimately debunked.

So, the next time MiceChat makes up lies just like these, do not believe them.

GiveMeTheMusic

They [the alleged lies created by MiceChat] always spread like viruses to other sites all the time when made-up sensationalistic stories such as this get created by any website, so this is nothing new, especially coming from the very mean-spirited and Fox News-esque MiceChat.

Plus, I fully agree with your point on the MiceChatters hating Toontown and that they're only making things up because they hate it. They've expressed similar hatred for other attractions as well, like Muppet-Vision 3D, the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Autopia, etc. to the point where they made up lies saying that DL would be closing them for good and, of course, those stories were ultimately debunked.

Okay first of all, you should actually examine their track record for rumors instead of just taking some random person's word from a forum.

Secondly, those posts are by Phillip Kippel, who used to post here as CountryBearFan before being banned. Phillip is a very angry, unstable individual who posts hate filled rants all over the internet. At best, he's a troll, at worst, he needs help. You can safely ignore anything he says at all times.

More importantly, you should look into whether MiceAge has actually provided rumors that came true - that's the actual measure, not opinions by forum posters.

Californian Elitist

And my point still stands. Why are you looking at the opinions of others???

Have you ever actually followed MiceAge?

Magenta Panther

Well, Muppetvision is now gone from Disneyland for good. So much for debunking.

And yeah, CountryBearFan was pretty much full of it. *shrug*

mharrington

And my point still stands. Why are you looking at the opinions of others???

Have you ever actually followed MiceAge?

I look at the opinions of others so I can see if there is any actual truth to this. Not rumor, mind you, but actual truth.

Also, Bob Iger said that they wanted to do it big and do it right, but the space in Toontown is just too small, even with the barbecue spot thrown in. It also seems like an odd fit, especially with Tomorrowland nearby. I would think that it would require a whole lot more room than what Toontown has to offer to do it as Iger described.

The article also stated it's going to be themed to the newer movies and beyond, which start being shown this time next year. I would think they would want to wait to see how the film does before anything happens at all.

And I don't know how to examine MiceAge's track record. And by the way, Philip mentioned something else:

Another thing that makes MiceChat a VERY unreliable source is that Disney would NEVER let top secret information leak out to outside sources like MiceChat. They ALWAYS keep things under wraps until they're ready to be revealed to the world.

So how can MiceChat receive information such as this if it's under wraps?

Well, Muppetvision is now gone from Disneyland for good. So much for debunking.

But is Muppet-Vision gone forever, or just for the duration of this Frozen event? Also the Autopia and the subs are still around.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

I look at the opinions of others so I can see if there is any actual truth to this. Not rumor, mind you, but actual truth.

Also, Bob Iger said that they wanted to do it big and do it right, but the space in Toontown is just too small, even with the barbecue spot thrown in. It also seems like an odd fit, especially with Tomorrowland nearby. I would think that it would require a whole lot more room than what Toontown has to offer to do it as Iger described.

The article also stated it's going to be themed to the newer movies and beyond, which start being shown this time next year. I would think they would want to wait to see how the film does before anything happens at all.

And I don't know how to examine MiceAge's track record. And by the way, Philip mentioned something else:

Another thing that makes MiceChat a VERY unreliable source is that Disney would NEVER let top secret information leak out to outside sources like MiceChat. They ALWAYS keep things under wraps until they're ready to be revealed to the world.

Honestly I can't tell if you're joking. Employees talk. I had dinner with an Imagineer who had never met me before - he told me anything and everything I wanted to know. He's not some peon either - he's a high level creative. He asked of course that I not post a lot of it, and that's fine - but some people post stuff anyway. MiceAge is a rumors site with connections at the highest levels. Disney employees contact them to GIVE them info on purpose so that they will post it.

There are far too many people involved in these kinds of projects to keep a lid on them completely. There are always, always leaks with Disney. Always. MiceAge gets most of them. We also have trusted insiders here on this forum who regularly post inside information, like the Spirit, Lee and Martin.

Phillip, as mentioned above, is not someone you should pay any attention to. Honestly, he seems like someone who needs some serious help. He's utterly terrifying.

As to MiceAge's track record, take it from those of us who have been observing for 15-20 years - MiceAge is the single most reliable Disney rumor site. Just recently they broke all of the Frozen stuff for DCA well before Disney announced it. Their 60th anniversary rumors will be proven right shortly when Disney announces those offerings as well.

And again, the Toontown space is not too small. A lot of backstage space would be used. It is a huge plot and there are other plans for Tomorrowland (subs/Autopia area etc.) - right now they feel it would be best utilized to make Star Wars its own part of the park.

Iger is also not referring specifically to Disneyland - there are plans for Star Wars attractions at WDW, DLRP, SDL - he's referring to the initiative at large when he says "big". DL's expansion will certainly be "big" - it will be huge, especially for a park with very little space.

Travel Junkie

But is Muppet-Vision gone forever, or just for the duration of this Frozen event? Also the Autopia and the subs are still around.

We may need an @TP2000 post about MiceChat’s reliability over the years. The poster you keep referencing is not the person you want to believe.

Leaks happen in such a large company like Disney. Too many people have to be in the loop before a major announcement is made for the lid to stay on and often it is the execs at the top feeding MiceChat this info. Past DLR presidents as well as top imagineers like Tony Baxter have been known to leak info to MiceChat.

As for the ToonTown plot I personally have some reservations about it, but from a pure business and space allocation perspective it makes since. ToonTown is not a huge draw to the back of the park. Star Wars certainly would bring people back there and spread out the crowds more evenly. Combine ToonTown, Big Thunder Ranch, and backstage areas and you have the biggest plot of land available to use without destroying half of the park.

TP2000

We may need an @TP2000 post about MiceChat’s reliability over the years. The poster you keep referencing is not the person you want to believe.

Leaks happen in such a large company like Disney. Too many people have to be in the loop before a major announcement is made for the lid to stay on and often it is the execs at the top feeding MiceChat this info. Past DLR presidents as well as top imagineers like Tony Baxter have been known to leak info to MiceChat.

It's kind of you to think of me. But I just can't tackle ignorance and historical inaccuracy on that scale right now, not during my Christmas vacation. I've had too much food and drink to be sharp this week. :)

We'll just have to let some folks think that... "Disney is all-powerful and never lets anything leak, and MiceChat and Al Lutz never get any good information from anyone above a churro vendor".

TP2000

As to MiceAge's track record, take it from those of us who have been observing for 15-20 years - MiceAge is the single most reliable Disney rumor site. Just recently they broke all of the Frozen stuff for DCA well before Disney announced it. Their 60th anniversary rumors will be proven right shortly when Disney announces those offerings as well.

Wow, you too?!? I thought I was the only one here who first started following Al Lutz and his dishy rumors via a 56K dial-up modem when Bill Clinton was still in the White House.

And yeah, over those nearly two decades Lutz/Miceage have had strings of really hot rumors play out exactly like they said. They seem to be in a similar streak right now with Frozen Fun and all the 60th stuff they've scooped in the last six months. If Luigi's Flying Tires closes and bulldozers move in to Toontown soon, they'll be batting a thousand.

Californian Elitist

-______-

I can't.

GiveMeTheMusic

Wow, you too?!? I thought I was the only one here who first started following Al Lutz and his dishy rumors via a 56K dial-up modem when Bill Clinton was still in the White House.

And yeah, over those nearly two decades Lutz/Miceage have had strings of really hot rumors play out exactly like they said. They seem to be in a similar streak right now with Frozen Fun and all the 60th stuff they've scooped in the last six months. If Luigi's Flying Tires closes and bulldozers move in to Toontown soon, they'll be batting a thousand.

Nope, you're not alone! I remember the DIG days - plus ADD and RADP. I remember reading about the Light Magic flap as it happened!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom