Star Wars Land For DHS or LucasLand instead?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
My sentiments, exactly.
Indy is my favorite character and favorite film series ever. But, Star Wars is clearly the right direction for expansion.
Indiana_Jones

I agree, Star Wars other than just watching them or playing an occasional game is too high on my dorkometer. Indiana Jones is where it's at.

rnese

Sorry, but I MUST add my two cents. To imply limit any expansion to "Star Wars Land" would be a travesty! Just imagine the E-ticket possibilities for attractions based upon such classics like "Tucker"(forget a ride based on Cars...how about driving a Tucker Torpedo!??), "American Graffiti"(classic cars drag racing up and down Hollywood BLVD, the park P.A.blasting '60's rock and roll as Wolfman Jack DJs), "Willow"(heck, this was Lord of the Rings before Lord of the Rings!), and "Labyrinth" (replace Aerosmith on RnRC with David Bowie). Any failure to expand and include these fine films would be a crime. Heck, this is the 5th gate for crying out loud!;) Merry Christmas Disney! My creative services to make this outstanding idea become reality will come at a reasonable yet healthy price! I'll await your phone call.

CJR

Lucas Land would have been neat, IMO, but it sounds to me like they plan on doing something much larger with DHS than I originally thought. My original thought was "just turn it into Disney's different studios" (Lucas, WDA, Pixar, etc), but perhaps that fell apart because they could tie in Marvel. Regardless of what all caused them to change their minds (probably money), SW land is coming, Lucas Land is not.

I have a feeling Indy will be back in WDW somewhere, someday. The stunt show has served its purpose many times over and I'm personally excited to see what they do with the area. Even if you don't like SW, you'll probably like what they cook up. Many people who are SW fans still enjoy ST, something tells me that would extend to the land as well.

doctornick

I would rather have an immersive Star Wars Land exclusive to that IP than have a more broad Lucasfilm Land. It would be more impressive to have Star Wars themed locales. In that vein, I think that the Indy stunt show should be removed to pave the way for a high quality Star Wars experience.

That said, I too love Indiana Jones and want to see a continued presence in the parks. I would love to see a version of the DL/TDS ride added to DHS or at some other ride (like a water ride). If DHS is really getting some $1.5B makeover, would it be so hard to include an IJ ride as part of that, somewhere in the Sunset area of the park?

Matt_Black

Sorry, but I MUST add my two cents. To imply limit any expansion to "Star Wars Land" would be a travesty! Just imagine the E-ticket possibilities for attractions based upon such classics like "Tucker"(forget a ride based on Cars...how about driving a Tucker Torpedo!??), "American Graffiti"(classic cars drag racing up and down Hollywood BLVD, the park P.A.blasting '60's rock and roll as Wolfman Jack DJs), "Willow"(heck, this was Lord of the Rings before Lord of the Rings!), and "Labyrinth" (replace Aerosmith on RnRC with David Bowie). Any failure to expand and include these fine films would be a crime. Heck, this is the 5th gate for crying out loud!;) Merry Christmas Disney! My creative services to make this outstanding idea become reality will come at a reasonable yet healthy price! I'll await your phone call.

I was going to make a joke about a Howard the Duck meet & greet, but considering the reaction to the Guardians of the Galaxy post-credit scene, that's both possible and potentially awesome.

cookiee_munster

im all for the indy stunt show being replaced by something star wars related. but i hope that indiana jones will be implemented somewhere else in the parks. like some kind of indy ride in animal kingdom based around snakes? we know how much he loves his snakes!

Pinhead

Lucasland may be worth it if for no other reason than the Red Tails reskinned Dumbo ride.

I... I can't believe this is even really a topic of discussion
Neither can I. The only determining factor for filling the available space at DHS is merchandising opportunities. There are a zillion Star Wars toys, and more on the way. What can you tie in to Indiana Jones? Hats and whips.

DVC91

I'm not sure that any area themed to a single movie (or series of movies) is a good idea. Star Wars, Toy Story, Harry Potter... eventually, the popularity will fade. So, why spend money creating "lands" themed to one story line? Wouldn't it be better to have genre-themed areas at DHS? Have one area for sci-fi, one for animation, one for classics, and one for adventure. That gives Disney an opportunity to slowly replace old themed attractions with newer ones, without a complete refurb of an entire land.

The difference here is that Star Wars had been and remains wildly popular over the course of nearly 4 decades. On top of it, Star Wars is an entire universe and has been updated with the (lackluster) prequels, disneys new animated show, and these upcoming films. Even between bouts of films, toys continue to come out, keeping its relevance in tact. When the kids become aware, the parents become aware (again).

Toy Story is one of if not Disney/Pixar's most successful franchise(s). Kids will always love toys, and parents will always want to keep their kids happy.

Harry Potter is a wildly successful franchise, and has a universe of its own, but these niche updates to its lore (the new movie coming out, along with Pottermore) limit their audiences. I believe I know more people in a 5 year radius of my age (25) that know what HP is than I do kids (I worked camps for 7ish years, I have young nieces and nephews, cousins, neighbors).

I am hands down a disney die hard, and am willing to call their faults, but I think Universal couldn't forsee that potter's relevance might not last more than a decade or so. Potter was a frenzy when it was current, but now? I don't really get that same sense of demand.

I don't want to force the thread into a debate between uni and wdw, but that last tangent about potter came to mind when reading your post (and writing mine) :)

Beholder

im all for the indy stunt show being replaced by something star wars related. but i hope that indiana jones will be implemented somewhere else in the parks. like some kind of indy ride in animal kingdom based around snakes? we know how much he loves his snakes!

It's funny, I was thinking that out of the four parks at WDW, the AK is the one that seems completely within "theme" for Dr Jones to be wandering around in. Indiana Jones and the Search for the Beastly Kingdom!

twebber55

The difference here is that Star Wars had been and remains wildly popular over the course of nearly 4 decades. On top of it, Star Wars is an entire universe and has been updated with the (lackluster) prequels, disneys new animated show, and these upcoming films. Even between bouts of films, toys continue to come out, keeping its relevance in tact. When the kids become aware, the parents become aware (again).

Toy Story is one of if not Disney/Pixar's most successful franchise(s). Kids will always love toys, and parents will always want to keep their kids happy.

Harry Potter is a wildly successful franchise, and has a universe of its own, but these niche updates to its lore (the new movie coming out, along with Pottermore) limit their audiences. I believe I know more people in a 5 year radius of my age (25) that know what HP is than I do kids (I worked camps for 7ish years, I have young nieces and nephews, cousins, neighbors).

I am hands down a disney die hard, and am willing to call their faults, but I think Universal couldn't forsee that potter's relevance might not last more than a decade or so. Potter was a frenzy when it was current, but now? I don't really get that same sense of demand.

I don't want to force the thread into a debate between uni and wdw, but that last tangent about potter came to mind when reading your post (and writing mine) :)
HP books are still very popular with young teens

wdwfan4ver

I'm not sure that any area themed to a single movie (or series of movies) is a good idea. Star Wars, Toy Story, Harry Potter... eventually, the popularity will fade.
I disagree with you in terms of an area themed to a series of movies based in terms of Star Wars and Harry Potter.

Star Wars Franchise has been around since 1977 and the fanbase didn't fade. This a Franchise that has been around for multiple generations already and still makes a lot of money a year in Star Wars Merchandise each year.

Harry Potter has been around longer than looking at it from a movie standpoint. Harry Potter is your book to Movie translation. The first Harry Potter back was released in 1997 and they were popular before the movies came out and your argument about popularity will fade doesn't hold water. You also need to look at history of well known books.

I saying this because there has been very popular books that are timeless such as Lord of the Rings and even books before than are being read or are well known for many generations already.

DC0703

Whether we like it or not Indiana Jones (character) is likely in the past. Star Wars will always continue in some form.

I would disagree with this - Disney bought the rights to all future Indiana Jones films (I believe Paramount still owns the rights to the first four, unless that recently changed), so it's almost certain that they will be making more Indiana Jones films, albeit with a new lead given Harrison Ford's age. I would guess that it will get a reboot in a few years. I know that casting rumors seem to surface every few months, though nothing official has been announced.

As for the stunt show, I can't imagine it would continue. It hasn't been updated in decades and doesn't fit with the rumored Star Wars overhaul in that part of the park. That said, if and when the Indiana Jones franchise gets some new films, I could see the character coming to one of the parks in some form or another down the road. At the moment, the character also has a presence in the Great Movie Ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom