News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mike S

Indeed, that's the whole point of blockouts. Keep discounted annual members away from days that are projected to be crowded with visitors. The opening of Star Wars will be hella crowded. If you need to see it day one... buy a one day ticket, upgrade your pass or wait.

As long as they are honest upfront at purchase about the validity of the pass.

There really is a strong entitlement that people feel they are owed first crack and also owed the cheapest access.

I honestly don't think this is an attempt of Disney to 'screw' pass holders. They just can't afford to have a sizeable portion of 1 million pass-holders show up eager to be 'first'. Disney is just softly forcing a portion of the 1 million to wait a couple weeks.

Despite my excitement - there's no way I'll attempt the first few months.
So keep the practice at Disneyland if it's that bad. Wouldn't hurt to have previews/soft openings either. Uni did both with HP west.

BrianLo

Original Poster
So keep the practice at Disneyland if it's that bad. Wouldn't hurt to have previews/soft openings either. Uni did both with HP west.

And that very may well be the plan. Preview it for pass holders then block them out aggressively.

I hope they wouldn't do what USH did. USH took it to the extreme. Their goal of aggressively raising prices and blocking passes made for a slow summer with Potter, but it also made for rather soft attendance and growth. There is a balance to be made in there.

Mike S

And that very may well be the plan. Preview it for pass holders then block them out aggressively.

I hope they wouldn't do what USH did. USH took it to the extreme. Their goal of aggressively raising prices and blocking passes made for a slow summer with Potter, but it also made for rather soft attendance and growth. There is a balance to be made in there.
Well DLR has already done aggressive pricing hasn't it? Nothing new there. I think USH backtracked on that actually and made them cheaper again but I'm not sure.

Phroobar

Well DLR has already done aggressive pricing hasn't it? Nothing new there. I think USH backtracked on that actually and made them cheaper again but I'm not sure.
Remember when Disney opened DCA they blocked AP passes, issued DL only AP passes and raised prices. They had to backtrack pretty quickly with their twofers and shifting APs to DCA when DL was packed.

Didn't DCA stand for Don't Come Again ?

TP2000

Monday October 24th was a Rain Day for Star Wars construction. On Monday morning at about 6:30am I was awakened by loud thunder and heavy rain, about six miles east of Disneyland. Then the power went out. The rain continued through the early morning, when the Star Wars construction crews would be arriving for work and the Foreman would send the crews home. That type of weather is very rare for January, and nearly unheard of for October in SoCal.

ShesInLosAngeles swung by the parking structure this afternoon, after the rain had stopped. Most of the crew had gone home, so not much action to watch this week, but you can see that there is big progress happening and new structures rising. Enjoy!

Earl Sweatpants

Seeing the fake rock wall from the Fantasy Land theatre angle got me more excited than it probably should have.
Also, has anyone uncovered yet what that metal frame structure is around 0:42???

Earl Sweatpants

Yes, someone tell us. I was wondering what that is and I need to know right now! Also, it looks like the old 1955 DLRR tunnel has been removed.

I confess that I'm probably a little too excited about SW Land construction.
I feel the same. When I was at the parks a couple weeks ago, I left to go watch construction on the parking structure for a good 45 minutes...

Which is kind of ironic since once the land DOES open, I plan to avoid it for at least a couple months.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Yes, someone tell us. I was wondering what that is and I need to know right now! Also, it looks like the old 1955 DLRR tunnel has been removed.

A temporary structure for construction staging.

When Frozen eventually comes more backstage elements and Toontown will have to close first. We'll be hearing about it at a future D23 likely before anything actually starts.

D

Deleted member 107043

When Frozen eventually comes more backstage elements and Toontown will have to close first. We'll be hearing about it at a future D23 likely before anything actually starts.

861c61642ded8f23ca973a6130b7530e.jpg

Old Mouseketeer

What 1955 DLRR tunnel? I see no tunnels in 1955:

http://www.justdisney.com/images/Disneyland/aerial/aerial.jpg

If you are referring to the corrugated metal tunnel that lead from Frontierland onto what is now called SF&DL Road behind Storybook/Casey, that tunnel is gone. My rebel spies tell me that the side walls on the East side remain and the center portion where the tunnel exit was has been filled in with upright girders filled with horizontal timbers.

Old Mouseketeer

That's no moon--I mean that's no temporary structure. I'm told by firsthand observers that the construction is consistent with recent service buildings in the SE corner of DCA. If they needed temporary construction buildings in that quadrant, they could have kept some of the Circle D structures.

It may be used temporarily for construction support, but I suspect it will be either a Foods Commissary (which in current DL usage is a central kitchen for small food locations in an area) or Costuming. It appears to be similar in size to the white corrugated metal Character Costuming building behind ToT which supports DCA and hotel dining characters. This type of building is not typically used by attractions or stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom