News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

It's hard to get a proper grasp on where things are due to the "flattening" nature of these photos.

I agree. The flattening makes the whole thing look much smaller. I was stunned the first time I saw the aerial photo that was circulating around the internet in July. The construction site is enormous!

BrianLo

Original Poster
So will this elaborate concrete wall thing house the Fantasmic! dock and be covered in the rockwork we saw in the ROA concept art?

Yup, that whole section in the first photo that is getting enclosed is the Fantasmic dock. The whole structure will eventually be made into rock work. The train trestle appears like it will be a separate structure from the concrete wall, even if it travel around and over some of the lower sections.

TP2000

Here's a video of good construction shots from Tuesday, September 6th. I don't quite understand why a WDW focused site would care, but this is a good video without the inane banter from Fresh Baked that steals your brain cells.

The Rivers of America construction is really going big. I've always thought that RoA remake would be the sleeper hit of this project, opening next summer and tiding us over until the actual land opens in.... early 2019?

But judging by the large structures being built on both sides of the northern river boundary, it's going to be a lot more interesting to look at than the long wall of trees and overgrown shrubs with random fiberglass moose and an animatronic Indian Chief that populated that boring... er, slow portion of the journey for the last few decades.

3744872_orig.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I agree. The flattening makes the whole thing look much smaller. I was stunned the first time I saw the aerial photo that was circulating around the internet in July. The construction site is enormous!

You should see it in person from the top of Mickey & Friends. @NobodyElse is right, pictures don't even begin to do this justice. Mostly, these pictures and videos we post here distort and minimize the project. In real life it's massive and sprawling and deep and far more impressive than photos or videos on a 27 inch iMac screen can portray. And if you are trying to look at this on an iPad or phone, just stop.

Miceage Update reported a couple weeks ago that Michael Colglazier took local politicians up to the roof of Mickey & Friends to show off Star Wars Land and the new DTD hotel site. I don't blame him. When you go up there and look at all this you can't help but think "Holy Bleep! This is HUGE and they are spending a FORTUNE on this place! Is it too late to buy stock???"

Earl Sweatpants

Here's a video of good construction shots from Tuesday, September 6th. I don't quite understand why a WDW focused site would care, but this is a good video without the inane banter from Fresh Baked that steals your brain cells.

The Rivers of America construction is really going big. I've always thought that RoA remake would be the sleeper hit of this project, opening next summer and tiding us over until the actual land opens in.... early 2019?

But judging by the large structures being built on both sides of the northern river boundary, it's going to be a lot more interesting to look at than the long wall of trees and overgrown shrubs with random fiberglass moose and an animatronic Indian Chief that populated that boring... er, slow portion of the journey for the last few decades.

3744872_orig.jpg

Don't forget, a large portion of the big buildings on the north side of the river will be used to house Fantasmic! backstage stuff. But it is really exciting to think about the visual changes to come!

Earl Sweatpants

You should see it in person from the top of Mickey & Friends. @NobodyElse is right, pictures don't even begin to do this justice. Mostly, these pictures and videos we post here distort and minimize the project. In real life it's massive and sprawling and deep and far more impressive than photos or videos on a 27 inch iMac screen can portray. And if you are trying to look at this on an iPad or phone, just stop.

Miceage Update reported a couple weeks ago that Michael Colglazier took local politicians up to the roof of Mickey & Friends to show off Star Wars Land and the new DTD hotel site. I don't blame him. When you go up there and look at all this you can't help but think "Holy Bleep! This is HUGE and they are spending a FORTUNE on this place! Is it too late to buy stock???"

Having followed the construction strictly online, I was quite honestly blown away when I saw it in person just a few weeks ago. You're right when you say it's far more impressive in person.

Figments Friend

I was in the Park yesterday riding my favorite Mountain and the cranes and digging rigs were going full blast.
Lots of activity and I spent a few moments watching the construction workers climbing up and down the wire mesh atop the huge concrete walls.

You did not even have to be on the Attraction to see all of this going on.
The movement and noise coming from above that construction wall blocking off the former Big Thunder Trail made even the most oblivious Guest take notice of it.

It was fun listening to the chatter from said Guests as I stood there taking it in.

-

D

Deleted member 107043

Lots of activity and I spent a few moments watching the construction workers climbing up and down the wire mesh atop the huge concrete walls.

Oh there's wire mesh on the walls now? That probably means that the rockwork construction has begun.

truecoat

I was in the Park yesterday riding my favorite Mountain and the cranes and digging rigs were going full blast.

You did not even have to be on the Attraction to see all of this going on.
The movement and noise coming from above that construction wall blocking off the former Big Thunder Trail made even the most oblivious Guest take notice of it.

It was fun listening to the chatter from said Guests as I stood there taking it in.

-

What were people saying?

Figments Friend

Oh there's wire mesh on the walls now? That probably means that the rockwork construction has begun.

Mesh basics perhaps, but not fully covered in it yet.
The workers were busy as bees. Lots of activity.

I was not over in the Big Thunder area today, but will be back tomorrow.
Will report anything I notice that might be of interest.

-

mikenatcity1

I'm so happy to see all of this! It is hard to believe that in less than a year all of this will be finished! If it is, I wish this crew would go to WDW to help speed things along a little

Sorry if it's buried in this thread, but what is the ETA for opening? Think it will be in time for D23? Normally for Disney, a project like this I would say 2018ish, but knowing the lost revenue for fantastic and other things shuttered, I can't imagine it being that.

RMichael21

I'm so happy to see all of this! It is hard to believe that in less than a year all of this will be finished! If it is, I wish this crew would go to WDW to help speed things along a little

Sorry if it's buried in this thread, but what is the ETA for opening? Think it will be in time for D23? Normally for Disney, a project like this I would say 2018ish, but knowing the lost revenue for fantastic and other things shuttered, I can't imagine it being that.
I believe insiders here have said before 2018 is the goal, with WDW's version at least six months later.

BrianLo

Original Poster

The current targets are late June 2017 for RoA/Tom Sawyer's Island, July 4th weekend for Fantasmic. So that would all be ready for D23 2017. Most of what we are seeing go up is for this part of the project.

SWE the hope is December 2018. I would not count on any earlier then the end of 2018, that's their 'fast' timeline.

mikenatcity1

The current targets are late June 2017 for RoA/Tom Sawyer's Island, July 4th weekend for Fantasmic. So that would all be ready for D23 2017. Most of what we are seeing go up is for this part of the project.

SWE the hope is December 2018. I would not count on any earlier then the end of 2018, that's their 'fast' timeline.
Wow! That seems quick for all of this work

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom