News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

rle4lunch

If this kinda initial work interested me so much, I'd just go down the highway and find the next construction zone and sit and watch the guys (and gals) leaning up against their work trucks falling asleep.

Rich T

If this kinda initial work interested me so much, I'd just go down the highway and find the next construction zone and sit and watch the guys (and gals) leaning up against their work trucks falling asleep.
Yeah, but their work won't end up as a Star Wars Land we'll all be exploring in a coupla years. For some fans, it's kinda fun to see how the things you like are constructed.

rle4lunch

Yeah, but their work won't end up as a Star Wars Land we'll all be exploring in a coupla years. For some fans, it's kinda fun to see how the things you like are constructed.

don't get me wrong, I do too, but seeing rebar and a little concrete wall is silly. color me interested when the land starts to take shape and where i'll be able to some sort of cohesion, rather than speculation. ya ya, I know that we 'know' where attractions are being placed, but looking at a dirt lot from the other side of the freeway kinda just confuses me more than interests me. I might be in the minority, but damned if I can figure out anything by looking at poles being staked into the ground and crayon marked pictures showing me where things might be in 2 years. on a side note, I'm an aeronautic engineer, so I like knowing how the sausage is made, but I like to know how its made after the pig is slaughtered. right now, there's still a lot of slaughtering going on. lol

BrianLo

Original Poster
I might be in the minority, but damned if I can figure out anything by looking at poles being staked into the ground and crayon marked pictures showing me where things might be in 2 years.

I don't think you were meaning to be offensive, but to each their own. Some of us find the early stuff fascinating, even if it's mostly dirt, watching the steady progress can be fun if you know what you are looking at.

The MiceAge sketch continues to provide a very accurate overview.

rle4lunch

I don't think you were meaning to be offensive, but to each their own. Some of us find the early stuff fascinating, even if it's mostly dirt, watching the steady progress can be fun if you know what you are looking at.

The MiceAge sketch continues to provide a very accurate overview.

It does, but the overhead shots are much more "telling" for me rather than earth-moving equipment. Overhead shots can match my brain up with the proposed sketches much better than horizon view shots of bulldozers. like you said though, to each their own.

I just don't find these videos very earth-shattering or 'moving'. ba-da-dum. I'll see myself out.

britain

I'm enjoying the confusion of the horizontal views. I get little moments of "Oh! People are going to be up that high? Er, wait, no that might be inaccessible berm... Wait! That's water level! So main level is a few feet above that - is that a bridge or a wall?"

But, yes, it's more of a tease than anything satisfying. I want to see a model!!!

D

Deleted member 107043

I just don't find these videos very earth-shattering or 'moving'. ba-da-dum.

Well if it helps Westcoaster has begun adding Pokemon to his construction photo updates, which I find hilarious.

DLR-16_0808-SWL-0014.jpg

NobodyElse

So will this elaborate concrete wall thing house the Fantasmic! dock and be covered in the rockwork we saw in the ROA concept art?

To me, it's hard to tell. (I'm sure looking forward to a more current aerial shot to get posted somewhere.)

I'll note one observation. It's hard to get a proper grasp on where things are due to the "flattening" nature of these photos. A few weeks ago I was able to stop by and take a peek from the M&F structure. I noticed that it made a big difference being able to walk even 50 or 60 feet in one direction or other. Doing so gives you a little better sense of depth and relational positioning of the different elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom