News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

Overlayed the aerial and the mice chat map:
View attachment 147737

Here's something I've been waiting for. Several people have posted here and on other blogs that the turn approaching the little tunnel over the service underpass on the West side of Fantasyland Theater is too tight as depicted on the generally very good graphics from that other place. The area in green is the disputed alleged path for the DLRR and the red is the actual footings being poured. Railroad enthusiasts questioned this and I concurred. In fact, I thought it was the most glaring possible error.

Disneyland SWL-1.jpg

dweezil78

I don't want to start unfounded rumors. But can any of our construction-savvy contributors tell us what these items are?

View attachment 148375

Yes... they appear to be, in order -- a construction crane, a construction worker in a yellow shirt, and a white pickup truck. Not sure what that last thing is, but if I had to guess, I'd go with a droid shack.

Phroobar

Yes... they appear to be, in order -- a construction crane, a construction worker in a yellow shirt, and a white pickup truck. Not sure what that last thing is, but if I had to guess, I'd go with a droid shack.
It's not a droid shack. It's a bee hive for the construction worker bee. It's bigger than it appears.

SSG

I don't want to start unfounded rumors. But can any of our construction-savvy contributors tell us what these items are?

View attachment 148375
The two on either end look like utility vaults, concrete rooms that house gas, water or power controls. The vault gets buried so it's out of the way but workers can access the equipment through a manhole.

Stevek

Here's something I've been waiting for. Several people have posted here and on other blogs that the turn approaching the little tunnel over the service underpass on the West side of Fantasyland Theater is too tight as depicted on the generally very good graphics from that other place. The area in green is the disputed alleged path for the DLRR and the red is the actual footings being poured. Railroad enthusiasts questioned this and I concurred. In fact, I thought it was the most glaring possible error.

View attachment 148374
Cool. I thought those were the footings we could see from the fence by Big Thunder. But heck, pretty close in any case.

SSG

Here are a few close-ups from today's (final) Dateline Disneyland update:

DSC_6983-X3.jpg

DSC_6988-X3.jpg
OK, so on the left by the crane, those are definitely utility vaults. I’d wager they’ll house electrical work, pump houses and the like. Next to the Star Wars-looking ATV (which is a telescoping lift for getting material up to high locations) look to be trench boxes for shoring up excavated areas so it doesn’t cave in. The red thing pulled by the pick-up….dunno. We’ve reached the limit the knowledge I gained working construction for a couple of summers during college.

Old Mouseketeer

I asked for that. Most of my questions have been answered. But behind the white pickup truce appears to be some excavation I can't think of a reason for. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Phroobar

If those utility vaults are above ground now, that is a lot of dirt they will fill in to bury it. Good to see forms being built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom