News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Pam Hates Penguins

Which is a good thing IMO. Disneyland Resort desperately needs some "muscle" added to its content mix. Over the past couple of decades most of the more significant additions to DL Park have been overly cutesy and precious. SW Land will draw new people to DLR who might otherwise assume that it's s place for young kids.

What makes Disneyland special (in my humble opinion), is that it was built on the hard work and imagination of a team of people dedicated to bringing a great mix of stories to life. When I go to Disneyland I am leaving the world behind. The addition of SWL will serve only to fracture the ecosystem that has been built over the years. To place something this non-Disney inside of Walt’s theme park just feels … dirty. Like a money grab. To me, this new expansion says that Disney is fresh out of new ideas for Disneyland.

Curious Constance

I agree. Compare to a similarly sized chunk of, say, Tomorrowland in the late 70s. More attractions.

The Star Wars land is not something I'm following or looking forward to, although I think many of you know that. So sue me. I do occasionally peek into this thread out of curiosity what's happening south of the SW land.

So we have a land that will undoubtedly have some awesome theming. Ambiance? Remains to be seen. I hate being in crowds and I can just see this being the worst thing ever in that regard. Children and dorks everywhere swinging plastic light sticks, as they already do in the rest of DLR. Which brings us to the merchandising. SW land will undoubtedly be loaded with retail space. We've got a restaurant confirmed, but of course. Meet and greets. Duh. And our two big attractions: thrill rides? I'm expecting loud, obnoxious, potentially sickening experiences. Screens. Probably some cool stuff in there, though.

They really should throw in an OmniMover or Peoplemover style attraction in this spaceport place, to balance things out and provide a more relaxing higher-capacity attraction.

You know, you're right. Children and people who are obsessed enough with sci-fi/fantasy to wear a T-shirt or buy a souvenir of their favorite sci-fi movie or show are the absolute worst!

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

You know you're right. Children and people who are obsessed enough with the sci-fi/fantasy enough to wear a T-shirt or buy a souvenir of their favorite sci-fi movie or show are the absolute worst!

Yeessssss...we hates them precious. We hates them.

Disclaimer--Yes I still have my t-shirt from the opening night of Star Wars Episode IV. But I never wear or enjoy it. NEVER!!!

Curious Constance

Yeessssss...we hates them precious. We hates them.

Disclaimer--Yes I still have my t-shirt from the opening night of Star Wars Episode IV. But I never wear or enjoy it. NEVER!!!

Ugh!!! Star Wars clothing is completely horrible! If only you owned something totally cool and hip like a Star Trek t-shirt. Then maybe, I wouldn't mind walking past you in a sea of thousands of people.

George Lucas on a Bench

Ugh!!! Star Wars clothing is completely horrible! If only you owned something totally cool and hip like a Star Trek t-shirt. Then maybe, I wouldn't mind walking past you in a sea of thousands of people.

The Disney Star Wars apparel is mostly atrocious. I can't believe anyone would actually wear it, but then there they all are wearing it...

Stevek

What makes Disneyland special (in my humble opinion), is that it was built on the hard work and imagination of a team of people dedicated to bringing a great mix of stories to life. When I go to Disneyland I am leaving the world behind. The addition of SWL will serve only to fracture the ecosystem that has been built over the years. To place something this non-Disney inside of Walt’s theme park just feels … dirty. Like a money grab. To me, this new expansion says that Disney is fresh out of new ideas for Disneyland.
They aren't even close to out of ideas for non IP attractions. The problem is that IP seems to be what sells...and drives synergy, toy sales, clothing sales, etc. So yes, much like everything that was put into DL originally, it's a money grab. DL wasn't built in an effort to lose money and Walt built many attractions based on well known properties. Thankfully they built many non IP attractions along the way that continue to be incredibly popular. So in reality, the park has always been a mix of IP and non IP. Like it or not, SW, Pixar, Marvel...they are now Disney. Assume you dislike Indiana Jones attraction?

Last edited:

Stevek

And Star Wars brings you back to the real world? That's......odd. It's just one more story added to the mix.
Yeah, about as far from the real world as you get. I think that one of the many problems people have is that it's sooo well know and we've been surrounded by SW for decades. So for some folks, not me, it feels very real world.

BrianLo

Original Poster
i-dSRbkrv-O.png

Phroobar

The addition of SWL will serve only to fracture the ecosystem that has been built over the years. To place something this non-Disney inside of Walt’s theme park just feels … dirty. Like a money grab. To me, this new expansion says that Disney is fresh out of new ideas for Disneyland.

Like Star Tours hasn't? Star Tours has been part of Disneyland for half it's existence. Indy has been there 20 years of it's existence. I can't image Disneyland without a Star Wars presence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom