News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
Height balloons

ClvO1wDUgAAV5RJ.jpg

@universal_core on twitter

Green is clearly the berm, I wonder if the orange one on the right is the Mark Twain. The Reds could be for the cranes.

George Lucas on a Bench

Compared to the density of the rest of Disneyland, it looks like a huge waste of space for two show buildings. It looks like they could shove a couple of more rides in there. I know they like themed environments rather than large number of rides. It's cheaper but not an efficient waste of space.

I agree. Compare to a similarly sized chunk of, say, Tomorrowland in the late 70s. More attractions.

The Star Wars land is not something I'm following or looking forward to, although I think many of you know that. So sue me. I do occasionally peek into this thread out of curiosity what's happening south of the SW land.

So we have a land that will undoubtedly have some awesome theming. Ambiance? Remains to be seen. I hate being in crowds and I can just see this being the worst thing ever in that regard. Children and dorks everywhere swinging plastic light sticks, as they already do in the rest of DLR. Which brings us to the merchandising. SW land will undoubtedly be loaded with retail space. We've got a restaurant confirmed, but of course. Meet and greets. Duh. And our two big attractions: thrill rides? I'm expecting loud, obnoxious, potentially sickening experiences. Screens. Probably some cool stuff in there, though.

They really should throw in an OmniMover or Peoplemover style attraction in this spaceport place, to balance things out and provide a more relaxing higher-capacity attraction.

Last edited:

SSG

This begs a very weird question: I know 'Disneyland is never going to be complete', but at what point is it going to be full? There comes a certain point when Disneyland really doesn't need 100 rides, it needs either more guest space or more gates. There are still tons of areas to fix up, but they don't ever need to turn it into a 7 day park.

Last year during the gate tax drama with Anaheim, the OC Register reported this:

Disney has elbow room inside the two Anaheim parks. California Adventure has approval for 3 million square feet of theme-park space but has used only 900,000, according to Anaheim’s master-plan agreement with Disney. Disneyland already has used 2.6 million of its 3.5 million square feet available, city records show.

If this is accurate—and I have no idea if it is—then 900k sq ft is available at DL. That = 20.6 acres. Reports say the Star Wars land will be 14 acres. There are also reports some land will go toward FL/Frozen expansion. If all that happens, Disneyland would have to be pretty close to built out.

Phroobar

They really should throw in an OmniMover or Peoplemover style attraction in this spaceport place, to balance things out and provide a more relaxing higher-capacity attraction.
I believe there was suppose to be a people mover type ride but it got axed from the budget. It would have added a nice kinetic to the area. Right now it sounds pretty static - big walls and parked ships.

TP2000

Green is clearly the berm, I wonder if the orange one on the right is the Mark Twain. The Reds could be for the cranes.

I believe the Reds are for the tops of the cliffs and rocky spires that will hide the ride warehouses behind them.

star%20wars%20land%20concept%202.jpg

When these height test balloons went up, they would have had survey crews stationed throughout the park seeing what balloons were visible from New Orleans Square, Toontown, Fantasyland, Rivers of America, etc.

D

Deleted member 107043

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianLo

Original Poster

The Battle attraction is going to be an LPS all heights welcome dark ride. Slow-ish in movement, less simulatory like. Screens yes, but see PoTC in Shanghai shows that screens aren't always the devil. That attraction I think will very much appeal as a modern day progression of HM/PoTC. The flight attraction is the answer to what Universal is doing. Fortunately they are doing both so there is something for both demos.

An omnimover would be redundant and a step backwards, I know you'd agree they'd never outdo Haunted Mansion, so why try?

Disneyland needs different great things, it already has Haunted Mansion and PoTC.

The only thing I do think is missing is kinetics. Potter has shown that rides aren't always needed for that though. Hoping for neat effects, ships, walk around AAs etc

D

Deleted member 107043

*sigh* This land sounds so much more Universal than Disney. :grumpy:

Which is a good thing IMO. Disneyland Resort desperately needs some "muscle" added to its content mix. Over the past couple of decades most of the more significant additions to DL Park have been overly cutesy and precious. SW Land will draw new people to DLR who might otherwise assume that it's s place for young kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom