News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

TP2000

Well it's good to see that there is a good amount of acreage going towards a berm/ theming.

Here's some footage of the Disneyland Railroad on its first day of testing along the new tracks, atop the berm that separates Frontierland from Star Wars Land. Star Wars construction sure brought some nice surprises to 60 year old concepts at Disneyland USA, didn't it?!?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
then enter a wacky Muppets mini-land in old timey Italian-American New York City-esque neighborhood (MuppetVision, Rizzo's pizza parlor, Mama Melrose's Ristorante), and then walk through a short tunnel and be in Star Wars Land proper.

You don't go through Muppets to get to SWL. As you pass by Indy or go down Commissary Way you'll stay to the right of a wall that separates MC from the lane that heads to SWL. The city facades are more decorated in the LA style than the NYC style of MC. The city lane will end with a rumored theater facade with Star Wars on the marquee.

Which begs the question... what does Star Tours become then?

Star Wars will be getting the Episodes 8 and 9 additional scenes. That should take it to 2020. Then a year or two after SWL opens, as it eats up the overflow SW fans, it will either be rethemed, moved, or demolished. At least, that's the rumored plan.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Agreed.

I just found this image someone made in the style of a future DHS park guidemap. It sums it up nicely.

SWL-TSL-MAP-OVERVIEW_05.jpg

Here are better maps:

Here's an altered version to more closely conform to @marni1971 's version:

View attachment 209725

And for reference, @marni1971 's version...

View attachment 209738

mickEblu

You don't go through Muppets to get to SWL. As you pass by Indy or go down Commissary Way you'll stay to the right of a wall that separates MC from the lane that heads to SWL. The city facades are more decorated in the LA style than the NYC style of MC. The city lane will end with a rumored theater facade with Star Wars on the marquee.

Star Wars will be getting the Episodes 8 and 9 additional scenes. That should take it to 2020. Then a year or two after SWL opens, as it eats up the overflow SW fans, it will either be rethemed, moved, or demolished. At least, that's the rumored plan.

At DL, I would of liked for them to have left one measley acre for Star Tours in SWL. Then use the space in TL for a new dark ride.

mickEblu

Here's some footage of the Disneyland Railroad on its first day of testing along the new tracks, atop the berm that separates Frontierland from Star Wars Land. Star Wars construction sure brought some nice surprises to 60 year old concepts at Disneyland USA, didn't it?!?

I like what they have done with the new Trail but to be honest I'm not sure I prefer it to what was there before. When it comes to Frontierland theming, it's just hard to beat years of overgrown trees and dense forest. The old Trail was a nice change of pace from the rest of the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

The city facades are more decorated in the LA style than the NYC style of MC. The city lane will end with a rumored theater facade with Star Wars on the marquee.

Love this idea. Kind of like walking up Main Street through a castle and into Fantasyland.

vancee

Are they going to add safety gates to the train? There are some parts of the new path that are few steps away from a ditch of water, high up. If someone falls out (somehow, you never know these days.. parents can't control their children sometimes), and into the water and injures themselves, Disney would be in a big lawsuit. I'd imagine they add some sort of safety precautions to prevent this.

George Lucas on a Bench

At DL, I would of liked for them to have left one measley acre for Star Tours in SWL. Then use the space in TL for a new dark ride.

Then you would have at least two similar simulator rides in the Star Wars land. I also find it highly unlikely that the new land will not feature the robots, who are in Star Tours. So you'd have some weird redundancy where they're working at a space travel agency and also in the other attractions helping in the fight against...whatever. Many people were saying the Falcon ride would make Star Tours obsolete. These are just my theories.

alias8703

Then you would have at least two similar simulator rides in the Star Wars land. I also find it highly unlikely that the new land will not feature the robots, who are in Star Tours. So you'd have some weird redundancy where they're working at a space travel agency and also in the other attractions helping in the fight against...whatever. Many people were saying the Falcon ride would make Star Tours obsolete. These are just my theories.

This. I really can't imagine they won't close Star Tours eventually and retheme it to the new Nemo ride at Tokyo Disney Sea (allowing them to close the submarines & autopia for future expansion) or move it over to DCA for Iron Man.

mickEblu

Yeah all valid points. Ideally, since the Falcon ride is coming 30+ years after Star Tours, it would be so far advanced that we wouldn't even put them in the same category. But I don't think that's the case.

TP2000

Now I'm even more confused. It's been so long since I bothered walking over to see Muppets at DHS. You can walk through Muppets Courtyard to the city-streets facades, right? This view looks at the city streets, where Star Wars Land will have its entrance 50 yards beyond that, right?
DSC09033.jpg

And on this map, the entry is shown there next to the MuppetVision building, with the balloon on the corner.
upload_2017-6-12_21-41-9-png.209738

The city-street facades are so pointless now that there is no Tram Tour. It's even more pointless than the tacky "Hollywood Backlot" corner of DCA. But I do like the idea of themeing one to a big movie palace and having Star Wars on the marquee. That would be a clever way to dress up this entrance to DHS Star Wars Land...
IMG_6910.JPG

BrianLo

Original Poster
I was in DHS a few days ago. I've decided that I really, really, really want the Muppets to take over Star Tours.

Hew very close to satire, break the fourth wall about what they took over and what they are next to. Kind of kills two birds with one stone (what to do with Star Tours) and also to sort of make a bit more loose thematic sense of the neighbours. It's probably the cheapest route too as the more self referential to its former attraction the better.

RMichael21

Now I'm even more confused. It's been so long since I bothered walking over to see Muppets at DHS. You can walk through Muppets Courtyard to the city-streets facades, right? This view looks at the city streets, where Star Wars Land will have its entrance 50 yards beyond that, right?
DSC09033.jpg

And on this map, the entry is shown there next to the MuppetVision building, with the balloon on the corner.
upload_2017-6-12_21-41-9-png.209738

The city-street facades are so pointless now that there is no Tram Tour. It's even more pointless than the tacky "Hollywood Backlot" corner of DCA. But I do like the idea of themeing one to a big movie palace and having Star Wars on the marquee. That would be a clever way to dress up this entrance to DHS Star Wars Land...
IMG_6910.JPG
You're right, once the tram tour closed (and LMA), there really wasn't a reason to go back to that area. It's crazy how open the space is now though, with all of the city facades demolished. While there's a tiny strip right across from Muppet Vision, that's to hide the show building for Sci Fi Dine In. It's crazy how much different the whole area is.

BrianLo

Original Poster

Oh my god... it managed to turn left and not jump the tracks and burst into a fiery ball of fanboy tears? I've been mislead.

180º

Oh my god... it managed to turn left and not jump the tracks and burst into a fiery ball of fanboy tears? I've been mislead.
As a former CM, I can confirm that the trains did in fact jump the tracks and burst into a fiery ball of fanboy tears every morning when making the left turn from the roundhouse to the main track. It was a whole thing— we'd try to get on the BOH shuttle before it happened because it always took at least twenty minutes to clear.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Where the red "IJ" is on the map is where Indiana Jones and Star Tours are. And the "CW" is Commissary Way past the Commissary and the Drive In Sci Fi restaurant. There is a clear path that bypasses Muppet Courtyard to get to SWL. Or, you can turn into the courtyard. It may be possible to get to MC from Star Tours on the other side of the wall. But, the point is, you don't have to go through MC to get to SWL. MC is a cul-de-sac.

upload_2017-6-25_1-42-50.png

Ismael Flores

The way this evening maps show that future area of DHS, it would make sense for Disney to just keep dividing the park Into sections and feature different divisions of the company.
They will already have the Star Wars section, muppets, and part do what is a Pixar area. Hopefully they would be able to expand on the Pixar brand with other movies that are not already represented in the other WDW parks. NEMO is in Epcot and soon ratatouille. I'm surprised they could have found if way of turining the hunny I shrunk the kids play area into a bugs section. Maybe they can add a small cars area like in Paris as well as a monsters inc area. Another section of the park should be dedicated to their main disney division with classic characters. Another section already there is the Indy IP that could be expanded.
The marvel division would be the o to area that would be difficult to include.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom