News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

Meanwhile, in Florida...

hollywood-studios-construction.jpg

Toy Story Land is to the left, SW Land is on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, DL's is going to be in DL, so it will of course be better. I'm not really understanding what the heck MGM/DHS is about anymore. It's kinda like DCA in how it's become a hodgepodge of random crap. Thematically, it's front-loaded. It makes absolutely no sense to go from these Hollywood streets with soundstages, the Chinese Theater, Sunset Boulevard and then suddenly gigantic Toy Story and Star Wars lands. Hollyweird isn't that weird.

TP2000

DL's SWL > DHS's SWL

I will now duck from anyone that comes over from the WDW forum.

I'll take the bait.

The DHS version of Star Wars Land, while a clone of Disneyland's that should be wonderfully fun, seems very oddly placed.

You are going to be in wacky Toy Story Land (rethemed Maters, Midway Mania, and a kiddy coaster) then walk through a short tunnel and be in Star Wars Land. Or, you are going to pass by Star Tours with the At-At out front, then enter a wacky Muppets mini-land in old timey Italian-American New York City-esque neighborhood (MuppetVision, Rizzo's pizza parlor, Mama Melrose's Ristorante), and then walk through a short tunnel and be in Star Wars Land proper. With Star Tours still there back past the Muppets mini-land. And DHS has just doubled down on the Muppets with current refurbishments and re-themed facades/buildings. Um, okay...

It's all very crammed together, with much shorter walking transitions and a more abrupt berm separating Star Wars from the rest of the mish-mash park.

On the bright side, the current DHS construction is massive for a 27 year old park that only has five (5) rides. The DHS ride count is about to almost double, with the addition of two C Tickets in Toy Story Land and two E Tickets in Star Wars Land. This is a park that desperately needs a dozen additional rides, but should be happy with whatever it can get. Still, the way Star Wars Land is positioned here and the abrupt transitions from Muppets! and Toy Story! is going to be really weird. :confused:

TP2000

Meanwhile, in Florida...

hollywood-studios-construction.jpg

Toy Story Land is to the left, SW Land is on the right.

Great photo! And it sums up nicely how the addition of just four rides is taking over half of the entire park. It appears that the DHS version is a solid four months behind the Disneyland construction, if not five or six months. It makes me wonder what the marketing campaign will be like for each version, with Disneyland going first (Spring, 2019?) and DHS going later (Fall, 2019?).

It also reminds me that within just a few weeks our views of the Disneyland version will be completely obstructed by ride warehouses. We should consider a GoFundMe campaign to buy our favorite lady blogger a good drone. :D

Drones will be the only way to get photos at Disneyland by the end of summer.

Last edited:

TP2000

Star Tours wont be staying at its current location at DHS so its a moot point, once SWL opens ST will get rethemed or whatever plans WDW has for that current SW themed section.

That would be nice if it happened. As of yet, Disney hasn't said a word about the future of Star Tours. And it's adding a new destination to the ride this fall for the upcoming movie, which isn't a move Disney typically takes for a ride set to close a year or two later. It would be nice if Disney could address the future of Star Tours on both coasts at D23 Expo next month, but I will be surprised if it comes up.

Which begs the question... what does Star Tours become then?

I'm sure it'll all be fine. None of it is any weirder than a Swiss mountain next to a tropical reef in The Future.

Agreed. But the physical space of the transitions is so much tighter at DHS than Disneyland. Disneyland's Star Wars Land has much longer and grander transition spaces between it and the rest of the park. DHS's land is plopped right next to MuppetVision and Slinky Dog Coaster. Disneyland's expansion has space and breathing room and winding walkways to build suspense. Which is all very ironic considering WDW has the "blessing of size". :eek:

Yeah, abrupt transitions are nothing new for Disney. Now a Star Wars/Muppets/Star Wars transition is kind of odd if it stays.

It is odd. And they just spent a good chunk of money this year strengthening and expanding the Muppets theme there, as part of the overall DHS expansion. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'll take the bait.

The DHS version of Star Wars Land, while a clone of Disneyland's that should be wonderfully fun, seems very oddly placed.

You are going to be in wacky Toy Story Land (rethemed Maters, Midway Mania, and a kiddy coaster) then walk through a short tunnel and be in Star Wars Land. Or, you are going to pass by Star Tours with the At-At out front, then enter a wacky Muppets mini-land in old timey Italian-American New York City-esque neighborhood (MuppetVision, Rizzo's pizza parlor, Mama Melrose's Ristorante), and then walk through a short tunnel and be in Star Wars Land proper. With Star Tours still there back past the Muppets mini-land. And DHS has just doubled down on the Muppets with current refurbishments and re-themed facades/buildings. Um, okay...

It's all very crammed together, with much shorter walking transitions and a more abrupt berm separating Star Wars from the rest of the mish-mash park.

On the bright side, the current DHS construction is massive for a 27 year old park that only has five (5) rides. The DHS ride count is about to almost double, with the addition of two C Tickets in Toy Story Land and two E Tickets in Star Wars Land. This is a park that desperately needs a dozen additional rides, but should be happy with whatever it can get. Still, the way Star Wars Land is positioned here and the abrupt transitions from Muppets! and Toy Story! is going to be really weird. :confused:

Hahah. I said what I said more for what DHS's SWL isn't than for what it is. I don't mind the abrupt transitions like the Plaza Inn next to the Astro orbiter at DL. It's just that when you look at the nice buffer with all of the wilderness theming that will lead to DLs SWL, it falls short. So maybe comparing Land to Land isn't even the right comparison. It's more just DLs approach and the charm that the river, trees and berm bring. They all make for a nice Segway into SWL and add more of a sense of mystery and adventure.

TP2000

Hahah. I said what I said more for what DHS's SWL isn't than for what it is. I don't mind the abrupt transitions like the Plaza Inn next to the Astro orbiter at DL. It's just that when you look at the nice buffer with all of the wilderness theming that will lead to DLs SWL, it falls short. So maybe comparing Land to Land isn't even the right comparison. It's more just DLs approach and the charm that the river, trees and berm bring. They all make for a nice Segway into SWL and add more of a sense of mystery and adventure.

Agreed.

I just found this image someone made in the style of a future DHS park guidemap. It sums it up nicely.

SWL-TSL-MAP-OVERVIEW_05.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom