News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

castevious

Talked to a RR attraction CM tonight (her daughter is dating my nephew). She said the DLRR bridges are all done and they are finishing the track. They will now start testing trains within weeks with a targeted opening in June/July. This is considerably accelerated from what I heard from a RR engineer some weeks ago (he said testing in Sept.). Not sure who to believe. I think the engineer would know more, but this info was more recent.

I heard from a CM on the ROA that they will begin filling the river next week, but that it may take some weeks to remove the submerged dam.

Are you sure all of the bridges are done? The one in Critter Country with the new path to Star Wars land, looks like it still has a bit of a ways to go before it's done.

Old Mouseketeer

Are you sure all of the bridges are done? The one in Critter Country with the new path to Star Wars land, looks like it still has a bit of a ways to go before it's done.

She could have meant structurally complete, or she could be misinformed. I have heard from several CMs over the years that they and their friends learn more/sooner on sites like this than they do at work. And we've certainly seen many examples of misconceptions and misinterpretations from CMs. I try to glean the closest to first-hand info I can get, but that's not easy to get. As I get down to second- and third-hand stuff I find the challenge is to filter it and cross-check it as much as I can.

mickEblu

Thank you very much for sharing. I agree that the rock work here is very impressive, and it proves that the stunning (and larger and grander than Pandora) rock work of Cars Land is not just a one hit wonder for WDI. They really do pour lots of money and talent into environments now.

That said, it's unfortunate this is all for a movie and IP that almost no one cares about. They really are trying to flog the story here, God bless 'em, but it's a story that no kids or adults talk about or obsess about. Do I need to remind everyone of my annual Halloween updates in my very busy trick or treat neighborhood where absolutely no one in the last ten years has ever come to my door dressed as any Avatar character? What do you want to bet those Avatar souvenirs will sell like wool sweaters in July?

Also, those Pandora CM uniforms are boring and cheap looking.

Meanwhile, Star Wars is huge with Americans from 5 to 85. Just last week a neighbor was out teaching his kindergartner to ride a bike, and the kid was wearing the most awesome R2D2 helmet I've ever seen. A 5 year old, his 35 year old Dad, and the old codger next door all bonded over Star Wars.

If Disneyland opens Star Wars Land with the Episode IX movie premiere in early May, 2019, I think the pop culture world will implode under the weight of the biggest event of the 21st century. And the Santa Ana Freeway will be backed up for miles. A shame Colglazier botched the Eastern Gateway parking plan, cause they'll need it.
Thank you very much for sharing. I agree that the rock work here is very impressive, and it proves that the stunning (and larger and grander than Pandora) rock work of Cars Land is not just a one hit wonder for WDI. They really do pour lots of money and talent into environments now.

That said, it's unfortunate this is all for a movie and IP that almost no one cares about. They really are trying to flog the story here, God bless 'em, but it's a story that no kids or adults talk about or obsess about. Do I need to remind everyone of my annual Halloween updates in my very busy trick or treat neighborhood where absolutely no one in the last ten years has ever come to my door dressed as any Avatar character? What do you want to bet those Avatar souvenirs will sell like wool sweaters in July?

Also, those Pandora CM uniforms are boring and cheap looking.

Meanwhile, Star Wars is huge with Americans from 5 to 85. Just last week a neighbor was out teaching his kindergartner to ride a bike, and the kid was wearing the most awesome R2D2 helmet I've ever seen. A 5 year old, his 35 year old Dad, and the old codger next door all bonded over Star Wars.

If Disneyland opens Star Wars Land with the Episode IX movie premiere in early May, 2019, I think the pop culture world will implode under the weight of the biggest event of the 21st century. And the Santa Ana Freeway will be backed up for miles. A shame Colglazier botched the Eastern Gateway parking plan, cause they'll need it.

What I would like to know is what does your 35 year old neighbor do that he can afford a home in Villa Park and how do I get in?

castevious

She could have meant structurally complete, or she could be misinformed. I have heard from several CMs over the years that they and their friends learn more/sooner on sites like this than they do at work. And we've certainly seen many examples of misconceptions and misinterpretations from CMs. I try to glean the closest to first-hand info I can get, but that's not easy to get. As I get down to second- and third-hand stuff I find the challenge is to filter it and cross-check it as much as I can.

A lot of times this is the case but it's also just as easy for wrong information to spread like a wild fire. If you look at the most recent photos or videos of the construction, the bridge looks like it still has a ways to go. However, it does look like they are getting close to laying the track everywhere else.

Stevek

Not to get this thread off topic, but worth mentioning that there were press previews of Pandora in Animal Kingdom today and -- despite a short boat ride (as everyone already knew), the land itself is crazy impressive looking and a good indicator of the level of detail we should be seeing with this project. Sharing video as reference, but check out the threads in the WDW Avatar forum if you're seeking some discussion about it! :)

The Shamen AA is the most amazing AA Disney has done to date...or at least that I've seen. The boat ride is a bit bland, just a lot of bioluminescent plants and some SCREENZ.

180º

This crane is hanging out behind Big Thunder today.
IMG_9896.JPG

rle4lunch

This crane is hanging out behind Big Thunder today.
View attachment 201987

We just spent last Tuesday Wednesday Thursday at DL/DCA. The main attraction building for SWL is huge! Looking at it from the top drop of Thunder, it's very impressive.

That said, DL was way overcrowded for weekdays, and the back half of thunder over to Fantasyland is sorely missing for crowd flow. So many people, not enough walkways. The whole park felt like trying to get thru TL.ugh.

mickEblu

The Shamen AA is the most amazing AA Disney has done to date...or at least that I've seen. The boat ride is a bit bland, just a lot of bioluminescent plants and some SCREENZ.

Yeah definitely a missed opportunity there. I don't mind that it's a sensory experience with no storyline or thrill. But there should have been more to see. Some AA beasts would of been cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom