News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Holy craaaaap. I looked at this again this morning and noticed the doors carved out and the pathway along the interior of the cylinder. I always assumed that was for construction crews but now I'm thinking not, as it doesn't go all the way around, and the doorways just look too permanent in their construction, looking at the bump out on the walls on the left in particular. If the rumors are true that guests will board one vehicle, deboard, and then board another vehicle during this experience, blending theme park ride and escape-room-type experience then this would be an incredible walking scene mid-ride. It would benefit from putting you on the ledge and recreating that feeling and sight line from the still frame attached. If guests passed that scene in a trackless vehicle they would have trouble getting close to the edge or feeling vulnerable, and the vehicle may not even allow them to look down and have that "wow" moment with the set. I'm imagining they could build a real cylinder and then a forced perspective set extension on both the ceiling and the floor to make it go on forever.

The door on the left looks to small to be used by guests, for the one on the right looks like a double door which would be much more suitable for guest use.

upload_2017-3-29_19-7-34.png

jmuboy

And She's followed that up with a second video from inside the park.

Right now I'm more fascinated with the changes seen from inside Frontierland and Critter Country. The work on the new northern berm and the Rivers of America is radically changing the views and vistas from inside the park, and I think it's all a huge improvement. The rockwork and new berm and waterfalls and new railroad route make that northern perimeter seem much more interesting and engaging. Thanks Star Wars! In my humble opinion.

Not overly concerned that they wont happen, but the spots where waterfalls may be coming over the newly built cliffs along the northern portions of the RoA don't really show any really obvious spots where water features will start and flow over. Again, I am only looking at the pics and videos.... and they obviously are not done. Just started to seem more curious to me as I can't locate any obvious spots for a water channel.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Not overly concerned that they wont happen, but the spots where waterfalls may be coming over the newly built cliffs along the northern portions of the RoA don't really show any really obvious spots where water features will start and flow over. Again, I am only looking at the pics and videos.... and they obviously are not done. Just started to seem more curious to me as I can't locate any obvious spots for a water channel.
I remember one of the Disneygeek updates had a picture of some tubing? pipes? that he guessed was for the water feature, over the rocks by the river. It would be too time consuming to find, but I did recall seeing it, so whatever that's worth.

jamesv159

I used one of Disney Geeks recent photos of the RoA as well as the concept art and I believe the areas I circled are the areas where the water will fall. You can kind of even see the opening in the left circle.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender2.jpg

TP2000

Wow, all of this is looking really cool.

I can only imagine the amount of engineering, planning, and construction that this is encompassing. It blows my mind!

Yes, it really is a massive project. And thus far it's making Disneyland northern berm far more interesting and engaging. It replaces what was just a giant wall of trees with a few frozen fiberglass animals.
CYY2JCIUEAAnw2e.jpg

180º

Yes, it really is a massive project. And thus far it's making Disneyland northern berm far more interesting and engaging. It replaces what was just a giant wall of trees with a few frozen fiberglass animals.
CYY2JCIUEAAnw2e.jpg
I totally appreciate the work going into this project. It's on a massive scale and it looks great so far. Still, since you like to throw this "so much better than a massive wall of trees" tidbit out constantly, I'll make it my duty every fifty times or so to say: Some of us liked how simple and naturally beautiful it was before. I thought it was a lovely contrast to the bustle of the rest of the park.

TP2000

I totally appreciate the work going into this project. It's on a massive scale and it looks great so far. Still, since you like to throw this "so much better than a massive wall of trees" tidbit out constantly, I'll make it my duty every fifty times or so to say: Some of us liked how simple and naturally beautiful it was before. I thought it was a lovely contrast to the bustle of the rest of the park.

It was lovely back there, no argument there. But I've long felt it was just so boring and hokey. And it took up a huge part of the park to be boring and hokey, and under-utilized. This new version will have more eye candy, more Imagineering, more engaging vistas.

I imagine there will still be static fiberglass animals and a whole bunch of trees. But aesthetically it will be a big leap forward, and I imagine the storytelling will improve a bit too. Overall a big improvement.

That said, when it opens this summer it's going to be jarring for both fans and critics to see that area without 60 year old growth back there. They are spending a heckuva lot of money to plant mature trees there, and more trees than used to exist back there. But it's not going to look the same as far as tree height/maturity for another decade or so.

It won't look as bleak as the 1950's did...
6.gif

But I think the treeline at the 20 to 30 foot level instead of the 50 to 60 foot level will be jarring. And it will be at least a year or two until the secondary berm behind Star Wars is finished which will add further depth. But by 2019, and certainly the 2020's, that area is going to be much improved aesthetically.

Last edited:

DDLand

It was lovely back there, no argument there. But I've long felt it was just so boring and hokey. And it took up a huge part of the park to be boring and hokey, and under-utilized. This new version will have more eye candy, more Imagineering, more engaging vistas.

I imagine there will still be static fiberglass animals and a whole bunch of trees. But aesthetically it will be a big leap forward, and I imagine the storytelling will improve a bit too. Overall a big improvement.

That said, when it opens this summer it's going to be jarring for both fans and critics to see that area without 60 year old growth back there. They are spending a heckuva lot of money to plant mature trees there, and more trees than used to exist back there. But it's not going to look the same as far as tree height/maturity for another decade or so.

It won't look as bleak as the 1950's did...
6.gif

But I think the treeline at the 20 to 30 foot level instead of the 50 to 60 foot level will be jarring. And it will be at least a year or two until the secondary berm behind Star Wars is finished which will add further depth. But by 2019, and certainly the 2020's, that area is going to be much improved aesthetically.
This really could have ended terribly. We could have had the river essentially annihilated and lost all that history and charm. While shortening the circuit is not optimal, it ended up being much more minimal than rumored.

I'm of the mindset that this is the best case scenario.

This river project clearly is the work of a team of creatives that really care. They have carefully integrated homages to past Disneyland attractions, preserved the intimate scale of the landscape, and are adding new life to a classic experience.

It should remain a peaceful respite from the crowds of Disneyland, and offer precious moments of retreat. It also won't leave guests wondering why they got on a boat to look at trees.

A beautiful compromise.

This river project is just another in a line of Imagineering Dream Projects that have gotten wrapped into blockbuster expansions.

On its own a tasteful Buena Vista Street may never gotten approved, but when it's tacked onto a project that consists of a largely character driven Paradise Pier remake, Cars Land, and a Little Mermaid attraction it's just another line item.

An expansion to Harambe should have been lower on the list of needed work at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Opportunity emerged when an Avatar anchored Project Morpho came up on the docket, and a host of exciting upgrades were approved. Notably a nighttime safari, a concept not attempted for more then a decade, was able to make a bold return.

Tokyo Disney Sea seemed to have lost all hope of a Scandinavian Port, but Frozen has since opened new opportunities. Their Fantasyland expansion also allows them to address their terrible Tomorrowland.

I'm glad there are people that still care. This should be a net positive when all is said and done, and as you point out, it will only get better with time.

Let the trees grow!

Last edited:

SSG

Speculation from MiceChat:

Word is leaking out that when Star Wars Land opens Memorial Day Weekend in 2019, Disney may launch the “Summer Of Star Wars” at Disneyland and Disney World. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Star Wars Land will open to guests only with a separate ticket for the “event” priced at $95 per day. Tickets will be scanned at each of the three entrances to Star Wars Land using the MaxPass system coming online this summer. This would essentially make Star Wars Land an additional gate at the parks for the first three months that would not be covered by annual passes.

http://micechat.com/156606-star-wars-land-news-star-wars-upcharge/

ctrlaltdel

Word is leaking out that when Star Wars Land opens Memorial Day Weekend in 2019, Disney may launch the “Summer Of Star Wars” at Disneyland and Disney World. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Star Wars Land will open to guests only with a separate ticket for the “event” priced at $95 per day. Tickets will be scanned at each of the three entrances to Star Wars Land using the MaxPass system coming online this summer. This would essentially make Star Wars Land an additional gate at the parks for the first three months that would not be covered by annual passes.

Oh boy, this is gonna be fun...

Edit - I've been had.

Practical Pig

That's their annual April Fools Day prank a day early. The reveal is at the bottom of the update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom