News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Curious Constance

The show building is growing.

IMG_4717.jpg

TP2000

The show building is growing.

IMG_4717.jpg

Things are moving right along, aren't they?

Doing the Compare/Contrast with Cars Land construction, which seems to be the closest comparable in terms of scale and scope to Star Wars Land, here's what Cars Land construction looked like in early January, 2011; 17 months before it opened in June, 2012. This is from the Winery, looking straight down what would become Route 66.

January 10th, 2011 - Cars Land Construction - 17 months before Opening Day
CarsLand-011011-AVP.jpg

It would seem to be safe to say that Star Wars Land would be about 18 months from completion, give or take 60 days. That would place it at completion of September, 2018. Let's tack on 90 extra days of prep work and testing just because it's Star Wars, and that has soft openings and company premiere parties happening at Christmas, 2018 with a Grand Opening Celebration in January, 2019.

The WDW version seems to be a good six months behind the Disneyland version, if not a bit more. Which would put WDW's opening in May, 2019 at the earliest.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Things are moving right along, aren't they?

Doing the Compare/Contrast with Cars Land construction, which seems to be the closest comparable in terms of scale and scope to Star Wars Land, here's what Cars Land construction looked like in early January, 2011; 17 months before it opened in June, 2012. This is from the Winery, looking straight down what would become Route 66.

January 10th, 2011 - Cars Land Construction - 17 months before Opening Day
CarsLand-011011-AVP.jpg

It would seem to be safe to say that Star Wars Land would be about 18 months from completion, give or take 60 days. That would place it at completion of September, 2018. Let's tack on 90 extra days of prep work and testing just because it's Star Wars, and that has soft openings and company premiere parties happening at Christmas, 2018 with a Grand Opening Celebration in January, 2019.

The WDW version seems to be a good six months behind the Disneyland version, if not a bit more. Which would put WDW's opening in May, 2019 at the earliest.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but that's a very misleading picture of Carsland. That's the facade and the later half of it to be finished at that! Nearly all steel was in place at that time. We're no where close to that, discounting the river, which needs to be thought of as its own project. No facade steel has really gone in, just steel for the actual show building.

Here's one I could find of the show building of Radiator Springs, which had just been fully roofed 22 months out from opening.

Cars5-081110-AVP.jpg

Even the above is clearly ahead of Star Wars, which doesn't even have any steel for its other ride. We're more like 24 months out from opening (March 2019) if we're taking Radiator Springs as gospel. In Star War's favour, the total amount of rock work is going to be less.

Which, is not a bad thing, no unexpected! The hope is that the construction pace should be improved on this project! Essentially we hope the next 18 months is going to be equivalent to what it took Carsland 24 months to do.

Therefore, I think the best indication will be the catch up. If we give Carsland another 6 months (ie. 16 months from opening) about a third of the rock work was painted, a third was between mesh and sculpted state and one third bare steal. If Star Wars is catching up at the rate I'd expect, that's what our project should look like 6-7 months from now.

nevol

Holy craaaaap. I looked at this again this morning and noticed the doors carved out and the pathway along the interior of the cylinder. I always assumed that was for construction crews but now I'm thinking not, as it doesn't go all the way around, and the doorways just look too permanent in their construction, looking at the bump out on the walls on the left in particular. If the rumors are true that guests will board one vehicle, deboard, and then board another vehicle during this experience, blending theme park ride and escape-room-type experience then this would be an incredible walking scene mid-ride. It would benefit from putting you on the ledge and recreating that feeling and sight line from the still frame attached. If guests passed that scene in a trackless vehicle they would have trouble getting close to the edge or feeling vulnerable, and the vehicle may not even allow them to look down and have that "wow" moment with the set. I'm imagining they could build a real cylinder and then a forced perspective set extension on both the ceiling and the floor to make it go on forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom