News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Ismael Flores

No one is saying it's necessary. It's just makes good business sense. That's all. And Disney is a business, so it's not surprising they are choosing things that make better business sense.

What I find interesting is that quite a bit of people on the fan boards don't like IP attractions but at the same time many of the same always bring up the idea of cloning one when built at other resorts.
Also quite a bit of the ideas thrown around by fans somehow involve IP from older movies. We hear people asking for an Alladin ride, a Beauty and the beast ride, Mickey Mouse rides.
It seems like as long as it's not an IP that was born from recent movies it's ok.

I personally don't mind IP but I prefer that if they decide to build them that they design them so that they have some originality. A step to step retelling of a movie is boring but something like this new Star Wars land is really fascinating. It's not a reproduction of something pulled directly from the movies but instead something new with familiar aspects. Those towering cliffs and rockwork will be very impressing and create a spectacular view once people walk thru those tunnels

Last edited:

rle4lunch

What I find interesting is that quite a bit of people on the fan boards don't like IP attractions but at the same time many of the same always bring up the idea of cloning one when built at other resorts.
Also quite a bit of the ideas thrown around by fans somehow involve IP from older movies. We hear people asking for an Alladin ride, a Beauty and the beast ride, Mickey Mouse rides.
It seems like as long as it's not an IP that was born from recent movies it's ok.

I personally don't mind IP but I prefer that if they decide to build them that they design them so that they have some originality. A step to step retelling of a movie is boring but something like this new Star Wars land is really fascinating. It's not a reproduction of something pulled directly from the movies but instead something new with familiar aspects. Those towering cliffs and rockwork will be very impressing and create a spectacular view once people walk thru those tunnels

You're exactly right. I've been espousing this point for YEARS on here, only to be poo-poo'd and chided. Every.single.attraction in the parks is/was/will be an IP at some point in their life cycle. Guess what, Figment is an IP! So is Space Mountain! Egads!! Big Thunder? Yep, another IP. For those so-called Disney "purists" that don't think that Mr, Toad or Cinderella is an IP, they're sadly delusional.

NOW.... Do I think that Disney needs more imagination in their Imagineering? Absolutely. For me, growing up with going to WDW every 2 years from 1982 through 1988 (at ages 6-12), Disney was pure imagination food. After we returned home from a vacation there, I would have dreams for months afterward of being back there and reliving things, so vivid that I thought they were real events. THAT's what Disney needs to start doing again. You see glimpses of it here and there, but there isn't a full immersion into fantasy as there once was. Perhaps it's not all Disney's fault, as times have changed. Back when I was a kid we still used our imaginations a LOT until we got into our mid teens. Life was admittedly simpler (and scarier; say hi to the possible nuclear war scenario engrained in our brains), and I truly think we (population as a whole) kept their focus MUCH better than today and didn't have the tendencies to be 'squirreled' by the smallest thing (look at that monkey smelling his finger after scratching his butt! cue car crash as a result of looking at their phone). I believe that's one of the main reasons that they are incorporating their tentpole IP's into the parks en masse. They're seizing the BIGGEST movies of the last 10 years (and 40 years with Star Wars; smartest buy that Disney has ever done BTW), and capitalizing on what will most likely be around for the next 25 years or so in our collective memories to relive.

I'm not fooling myself and drinking the SW/Marvel/Toy Story kool-aid, but I'm damn sure not going to cancel my Disney vacation because of some petty purist pride (like that alliteration? lol), because they didn't build ME(!) exactly what I wanted (a new character with dragons riding puppies that wear chainmail and shoot lightning out their a$$). If SWL/MarvelLand/ToyStoryland/AvatarLand, are fun, immersive, quality attractions and lands, then me and my family will be there to enjoy them. Just as long as Disney doesn't fall to Six Flags and Universal Standards of immersion quality (potterland excluded in that statement), then I'm in with whatever they build.

rle4lunch

How is Space Mountain connected to Disney studio IP?

Not a movie IP, but an IP to be sure. Wholly Disney owned copyrights and trademarks that they can market and develop as they see fit. This includes, but isn't limited to; movies/tv shows/merchandising, etc.

although, you can bet your bottom dollar that there's a movie script sitting in a Disney vault somewhere that revolves around a spaceship navigating a mountain, in space, dodging meteors. lol. and I'm sure it's got a killer soundtrack (that might or might not be heard, depending on the day).

rle4lunch

Sorry I thought we were talking about the slow creep of movie based IP across both parks over the past couple of decades.

It's still prevalent, and a relevant discussion. movie IP creep is a sign of laziness, I don't contest that fact one bit. I think the lack of creativity isn't limited to Disney though, it's society as a whole. there are a select few who imagine, create and make boat loads of money doing it, all the while, the masses sit in their multipurpose lounge chair watching youtube and scrolling facebook looking at Tasty recipes that they'll never make, look at workout videos that they'll never try, post incessant rants about being angry about some faux manufactured problem with society, yada yada. Truth be told, we've all got it too good.

Take me for instance. I'm sitting here at work eating my lunch. I've got three windows open on my computer, a smartphone sitting in front of me, and a phone. I've got the world at my fingertips, yet I'm on a Disney blog complaining. lol.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was at the park yesterday and is it just me does that rock wall at the north end of the ROA look really short?

Yes it does. I said the same thing about 200 posts ago. Maybe the designers are playing with scale so that SW Land's massive rock formations look more grand and imposing in comparison?

mickEblu

Yes it does. I said the same thing about 200 posts ago. Maybe the designers are playing with scale so that SW Land's massive rock formations look more grand and imposing in comparison?

With the trees they are going to plant and finished ROA rock wall what do you think we ll be able to see from Rest of the park? I'm wondering if it will just be some of the very tallest rocks/ cliffs of SWL Or if it will be more like how you can see all of the mountains pretty easily from most places in the park.

Professortango1

Not a movie IP, but an IP to be sure. Wholly Disney owned copyrights and trademarks that they can market and develop as they see fit. This includes, but isn't limited to; movies/tv shows/merchandising, etc.

although, you can bet your bottom dollar that there's a movie script sitting in a Disney vault somewhere that revolves around a spaceship navigating a mountain, in space, dodging meteors. lol. and I'm sure it's got a killer soundtrack (that might or might not be heard, depending on the day).

Don't confuse IP with merchandising and branding. An IP based attraction draws inspiration from an outside established property. It uses the general public's familiarity with the property to help tell the story or create the environment. While certain rides might become iconic and inspire fan fiction, merchandise, clones, and spin offs, they remain an original attraction until the ride adapts to incorporate the spin off content into the story-building. Haunted Mansion remains an original attraction whereas Pirates is becoming more and more of an IP attraction with Shanghai's version being a direct IP attraction.

D

Deleted member 107043

With the trees they are going to plant and finished ROA rock wall what do you think we ll be able to see from Rest of the park? I'm wondering if it will just be some of the very tallest rocks/ cliffs of SWL Or if it will be more like how you can see all of the mountains pretty easily from most places in the park.

I fully expect to see the tops of those big rock spires we've seen in the concept art outside of SW Land. At least until the landscaping fully grows in, and that will take years.

rle4lunch

Don't confuse IP with merchandising and branding. An IP based attraction draws inspiration from an outside established property. It uses the general public's familiarity with the property to help tell the story or create the environment. While certain rides might become iconic and inspire fan fiction, merchandise, clones, and spin offs, they remain an original attraction until the ride adapts to incorporate the spin off content into the story-building. Haunted Mansion remains an original attraction whereas Pirates is becoming more and more of an IP attraction with Shanghai's version being a direct IP attraction.

Haunted Mansion has movie rights, and a terrible movie attached to it. As does toad, snow white, et al. They all have extended story lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom