News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Curious Constance

Has anyone ever claimed this? Ever?

Easy to say. Following through with this is a lot harder when you have a multi-billion dollar empire to run and a demanding board to satisfy. One high profile failure could end things quickly.

Especially when theme parks are just a part of your business, and adding IP is not only popular for your theme parks, but also has the added bonus of promoting movies/shows/merchandise, etc.

Earl Sweatpants

Has anyone ever claimed this? Ever?

Easy to say. Following through with this is a lot harder when you have a multi-billion dollar empire to run and a demanding board to satisfy. One high profile failure could end things quickly.
You're assuming my Disney would look anything like Igers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When you have so many great IPs to choose from that can be made into great attractions... why even bother with an IP-less idea? Early Disney didn't have a deep bench. Current Disney has a very deep bench.

There are very few IP-less ideas that don't have a IP in existence that you can leverage.

Sorry, folks, I don't hate the IP invasion. :eek:

Earl Sweatpants

Look, I don't wanna derail this thread any further...I'm not an idiot...I know the IP tidal wave is upon us and only going to get bigger.

Personally I wish it weren't so, but I recognize others don't feel the same way. That's fine. I still enjoy going to the parks and will do so as long as I'm able.

Curious Constance

No one is claiming anything, but it's my understanding that you're saying IP inclusion is necessary to keep up public demand and interest in the park and I was merely giving you two examples where that has not been the case.
No one is saying it's necessary. It's just makes good business sense. That's all. And Disney is a business, so it's not surprising they are choosing things that make better business sense.

Earl Sweatpants

I'm a firm believer there isn't anything that man can't figure out, provided he has the funds required to complete the project, and a good women on the side. Not his wife, someone else. Who lives a state up, who can visit a few times a year. Whatever.
What's that saying...behind every successful man is a strong woman...and just behind her is his wife....or something like that.

D

Deleted member 107043

Look, I don't wanna derail this thread any further...I'm not an idiot...I know the IP tidal wave is upon us and only going to get bigger.

Personally I wish it weren't so, but I recognize others don't feel the same way. That's fine. I still enjoy going to the parks and will do so as long as I'm able.

You and I actually have a lot in common on this topic. I totally agree with you, but it is what it is. I feel like a bit of a sell-out saying this but I've reluctantly accepted that "Disneyland" is no longer just a place that Walt built in Anaheim, but a global brand of theme parks used to mostly promote Disney IP to the public. As others have said, there are very legitimate reasons for operating the business this way, but it sure makes it hard when you see film and cartoon characters almost everywhere when there used to be only a few, mostly in Fantasyland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevek

You and I actually have a lot in common on this topic. I totally agree with you, but it is what it is. I feel like a bit like a sell-out, but I've reluctantly accepted that "Disneyland" is no longer just a place that Walt built in Anaheim but a global brand of theme parks used to mostly promote Disney IP to the public. As others have said, there's very good reasons for operating the business this way, but it sure makes it hard when you see film and cartoon characters almost everywhere when there used to be only a few, mostly in Fantasyland.
Agreed as well. I think many of us, more traditionalists for lack of a better term, would love to see Disney develop rides like Pirates, Mansion, Space, Matterhorn, Thunder...but those days are long gone. At the end of they day, if they continue to build immersive attractions like racers or some of what we are seeing in Shanghai that is tied to an IP, I'm ok with it. There is something to be said for immersing you in a world you have only seen at the movies if it's pulled off well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom