Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Castle Cake Apologist

Uhh... You're missing the point. They gave over a year's notice that Osborne Lights aren't happening in 2016, so people could go to the final year in 2015. If SWW isn't happening in 2016, the logic is that it would have been nice to know earlier so that people could have gone in 2015.

My bad. I was assuming a situation where SWW are still held in 2016 and they announce shortly before that it will be the last year. They are a killer money maker for Disney, it seems odd that they wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity to announce the last chance to attend to cash in on it.

In the same vein, they still only announced OSL closing 4 months early. The vast majority of people book vacations WELL in advance of that, so I'm not sure I follow your logic. All this really did for people was let them know that if they have planned their trip for Christmastime 2016, they're out of luck. The average person isn't going to be able to drop everything and afford a trip to WDW with four months notice. The right thing to do would have been to announce during last year's showing that 2015 would be the final year. Oh well.

britain

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but does anyone have any idea what kind of ride system would be used for the Millennium Falcon and Resistance rides? Maybe @Lee has some good info?

For what it's worth, Miceage predicted a new kind of trackless vehicle for one of the E-tickets. I'm thinking that would be the Resistance attraction (which had "Stormtroopers chasing you" concept art that reminds me of something that might work like the new Remy attraction in Paris).

Piecing together what Jim Hill said about the Millennium Falcon attraction and my own conjecture, the queue will make it look like you're in the Falcon (but you won't actually in the big set piece seen in the concept art) and hidden hallways will lead you and your party to one of many cockpit simulators. The other thought mentioned on one of these threads is that the cockpits would actually be suspended vehicles (like the 20 K ride at Tokyo DisneySea). I'm thinking 'no' on that just because it would be hard to pull off an interactive "you are steering the ship" effect with that on-track set up.

But who knows? We have a long wonderful time to speculate! I'm hoping for interesting C's and D's too!

AEfx

Uhh... You're missing the point. They gave over a year's notice that Osborne Lights aren't happening in 2016, so people could go to the final year in 2015. If SWW isn't happening in 2016, the logic is that it would have been nice to know earlier so that people could have gone in 2015.

Except that SWW is being replaced by SW365, so I see why it's not such a big deal.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but does anyone have any idea what kind of ride system would be used for the Millennium Falcon and Resistance rides? Maybe @Lee has some good info?

Would be neat to see some sort of Mission Space 2.0, but where when you moved the control stick and/or other buttons in the "cockpit", it actually controlled the ride cabin. You keep the same central rotor and make it so (despite what you do with the control stick) all of the story lines in the vehicles sync up and all of the vehicles go to "warp speed" (spinning the rotor) at the same time producing the effective g-force effect, but between such linked scenes, the rotor is essentially fully stopped so the individual ride vehicles could move independently. I doubt it would happen given the luke warm response Mission Space gets, but it could be fun...

AEfx

Would be neat to see some sort of Mission Space 2.0, but where when you moved the control stick and/or other buttons in the "cockpit", it actually controlled the ride cabin. You keep the same central rotor and make it so (despite what you do with the control stick) all of the story lines in the vehicles sync up and all of the vehicles go to "warp speed" (spinning the rotor) at the same time producing the effective g-force effect, but between such linked scenes, the rotor is essentially fully stopped so the individual ride vehicles could move independently. I doubt it would happen given the luke warm response Mission Space gets, but it could be fun...

To be honest, I'd rather them focus on just making an awesome, "wow" ride more than working on "tricks" like that. I really think that the market research that says that everyone wants rides to be like video games is misguided and not really that accurate.

BigThunderMatt

Yeah no. Disney isn't going to create another vomit comet with one of their most valuable properties. TDO has made some bad decisions in the past but you can bet they're not going to stupid enough to make something that will cause more than mild dizziness in the most sensitive of individuals.

PizzaPlanet

It would have to be less intense. I think disney learned their lesson on that one...

AEfx

Is it? The appeal of SWW for the fans is largely the special entertainment, merch, and stars from the films. Ian McKellen won't be walking around Star Wars Land 365 days/year.

Most of the folks at the level that do SWW are easily found at regional shows throughout the year, and of course the actual Star Wars Celebrations. I don't know if you have actually ever done it at SWW, but while they are "free" (as in included in admission) you basically spend a good hunk of the day waiting even if you magically get one of the fastpasses. It's cheaper to pay $25 to get them at a regional show than waste Disney admission. The majority of guests don't actually ever get a single autograph.

As to entertainment, nothing really special either - I'm sure the 501st will be around weekly once Star Wars Land is open as well. The other stuff either has or will have permanent equivalents. Plus, you know, actual rides and Star Wars themed restaurants, etc., not just a lame overpriced breakfast at Sci-Fi.

With merch, again, it's going to be a year-long extravaganza. They are gonna sell all the SW merch they could ever dream. And people won't be sweltering in 3 or 4 hour lines for the chance to buy it.

Basically, there is just no reason to continue them once Star Wars is a permanent fixture, looking to be such a major presence in the park. Disney would much rather spread those guests out through the year, as Star Wars weekends have overtly ridiculous crowds that defy what the offerings really are when you get down to it.

Epcot has flowers and booze year-round and yet they still hold F&G and F&W seasonally.

That's a nice sound byte, but it's in no way an equivalent situation to Star Wars weekends.

Cesar R M

Yeah no. Disney isn't going to create another vomit comet with one of their most valuable properties. TDO has made some bad decisions in the past but you can bet they're not going to stupid enough to make something that will cause more than mild dizziness in the most sensitive of individuals.
And here I was thinking that Mission Space was more about the thrill and feel of a real ship in space than just something "for fun".

britain

Yes. Two triple floor structures will be built as an earlier part of the work. One then the other.

My understanding is Music will be built first, then Film.

Music and Films as the name of the Parking structures? Are the lots named that way now? I've never parked there before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom