1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Discussion in 'Studios Redevelopment' started by CheekBoys, Aug 15, 2015.

1. roj2323

roj2323 Premium Member

The name has more to do with the theme of the ride and almost nothing to do with the theme of the building facade. The name will not be changing.

2. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

Are you sure it won't be changing?

I'm aware of the theme of the ride and why midway is in the name, but I'm also aware that the plan last I heard was to remove it from the Florida version.

egg likes this.
  3. clemmo

clemmo Well-Known Member

I have to think though if everything goes as planned they'll want or are already considering a "phase 2" with a third attraction sort of like how HP had phases 1 and 2 with a now 3rd one possible for D.C. area. Obviously this would be far off but maybe in the 2020s at some point. Would they have room or a designated expansion pad or is it going to be tough to expand someday?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

How do you know if it's relatively brief? Even at 2 hours at night after-hours, that's 4 hours of riding E-Ticket rides and extending the role-play into a fully immersed planetary environment.

Also, we get it. You don't like this. How many dozens of posts will there be in this thread and the resort thread from you which is just a variation of "I don't like this"?

And the resort thread is here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-all-inclusive-star-ship-resort.926270/

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  5. Casper Gutman

Casper Gutman Well-Known Member

Nothing in the post you're responding to is negative, and it ends on a positively upbeat note. Try actually reading what I wrote.

And my general attitude towards this in those "dozens of posts" has been it's not for me, it seems like it could be neat, I simply hope it doesn't come at the expense of other SW developments. You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder because my adulation isn't pronounced enough, but I get the impression you tend to react like that.

S 2, Mike S, RobidaFlats and 2 others like this.
  6. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

An important point.

This is a hotel. Not an attraction. And should not be seen as one lest it starts a trend.

PrestonR7, BPL, Mike S and 4 others like this.
  7. DarthFiscus75

DarthFiscus75 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't this rumored resort have a completely different budget under the resort division and not take away from the parks division?

8. L.C. Clench

L.C. Clench Well-Known Member

I think it's a little late for that.

9. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

Doesn't sound like a coaster to me. ;)

"He’s more forthcoming about the second ride, which involves the Millennium Falcon. “We’re going to give you an opportunity to not just fly on it but to actually be at the controls,” he says.

Trowbridge leads his guests to an SUV for a short trip to a nondescript warehouse. No signs signify what’s going on in the building; if there were any, fans would no doubt be sifting through the trash bins outside. Trowbridge heads into the main space of the warehouse, where a round, black sphere resembling a small Death Star sits. Inside the malevolent-looking structure, the Imagineers are testing a prototype of the Millennium Falcon ride. A ladder leads up to a crude version of the cockpit, made with plywood, foam, and thumbtacks. It’s surrounded in front by a screen that gives the Falcon’s riders the illusion that they’re in some kind of docking bay, ready for takeoff. From there, they can go for a test run in an Imax-like environment, navigating their way through tunnels and out into space, where they must dodge the Imperial fleet’s TIE fighters."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...alactic-theme-park-quest-to-beat-harry-potter

egg, Mike S and Bill Cipher like this.
  10. mhochman

mhochman Member

Which does not necessarily mean interacting with the controls.

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  11. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Yeah I read that wrong. You have to trace the chain far back to see it's the hotel. I hadn't done that and assumed it was a discussion of the ride given the thread topic. The hotel won't be in either of those locations.

12. WhatJaneSays

WhatJaneSays Well-Known Member

There will be interaction with the controls on the Falcon ride. You will be able to influence the actions/outcome of your ride, unlike Mission Space which is fixed regardless of your actions.

Princess Leia, Mike S and Andrew C like this.
  13. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

This will probably happen to me...

14. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Logic suggests that is impossible so I'll believe it when I see it. We've seen gross exaggerations or outright lies from Disney Marketing.

Remember Bob Iger suggesting we would be riding on a breathing banshee on Flight of Passage?

FerretAfros, alissafalco and Furiated like this.
  15. L.C. Clench

L.C. Clench Well-Known Member

So we're going to get Triceratops Spin with a screen and a Dragon's Lair style influence system.

solidyne likes this.
  16. WhatJaneSays

WhatJaneSays Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what part of that is impossible? The ride system was designed with this mechanic in mind, which is why it's a fleet of small semi-autonomous simulators rather than a more midsize vehicle sim like Star Tours. While high quality, real time rendering of multi-user input control for simulators has existed for a long time ... that's not 100% what this ride intends to be. The explanation to me was your route was predetermined but your actions, reaction time, and skill would determine how you preformed on the ride. You can't crash or not reach your destination, but you can marginally mess up on the way there and that can effect your ending.

egg likes this.
  17. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Finally, the concept of impossible comes into the discussion. I've stayed out of this because I have no inside knowledge of what is going to happen. However, it doesn't take a Masters Degree to understand that you cannot directly respond to 6 "Pilots" at the same time or even one for that matter. It has to be a guided set up, if not the same as M:S needs to be quite similar, just with different ride vehicles. If not, then I will be pleasantly surprised, but, I don't expect to be surprised.

18. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

The question is, with 6 people in the vehicle what will each person do? Not all 6 can be piloting.

Vinmann likes this.
  19. *Q*

*Q* Well-Known Member

Well, you need one person to pilot, one person to control weapons, one person to shout profanities in an alien language, one person to hit the overhead control panel every time a system clunks out, one person to constantly freak out and quote your odds of success, and a one-man (or one-woman) committee to critique every little thing the pilot does.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  20. uncle jimmy

uncle jimmy Well-Known Member

In the movies it always seem that it breaks down, someone or something(s) are chasing them, they have to attack or fire back at someone.
    I'm picturing that 2 people pilot, 2 control weapons, 2 control repairs.

Maybe its like Test Track, what you do before will determine the ride? So while in the Queue, the 6 people will each do things that will control and or affect the ride. Like bringing on too much cargo or not wanting to get repairs or deciding a route that ignores a toll/ tax stop... These things you and your team decides before hand would change and affect the ride during it. Just an idea.

Vinmann and Princess Leia like this.