1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Discussion in 'Studios Redevelopment' started by CheekBoys, Aug 15, 2015.

1. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

They can't even take care of the four parks they have. Why bother with a fifth?

2. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Because the third would have stayed a diverse mix of IP and experiences. Not dominated by a single one.

3. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

I hardly think one land will dominate the park.

4. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

I'm thinking a decade or so down the line.

Lord_Vader, brb1006, Sped2424 and 9 others like this.
  5. Casper Gutman

Casper Gutman Well-Known Member

An entire park based on one IP would be risky, but it would have let them really innovate in terms of immersion. What if you were assigned a role in the narrative when you entered the park and that determined how cast members related to you? (I believe Disney was working on systems capable of enabling this kind of theme park storytelling a few years ago). What if several rides tied into one another to form a loose storyline? It would have offered some really intriguing possibilities.

Now, of course, the placement of Star Wars Land ensures that when its a wild success (which it will be) and the films continue to be wild successes (which they will), the only question will be whether TSL or Muppets gets invaded first (hope its TSL). The situation in Disneyland is even worse. I don't think there's a Hogwarts Express in the offing to fix this problem.

It's absurdly shortsighted - no studio in Hollywood understands transmedia franchise filmmaking better then Disney, and yet they are utterly incapable of grasping that the parks can play an integral role in that sort of storytelling.

6. jmuboy

jmuboy Well-Known Member

With the glacial pace Disney moves and the amount they are investing through 2019 - and the investments coming to Epcot and for the 50th - lord knows if any of us will ever see a day TDO wants to invest another 1 billion in SWL part 2.

El_Tomato, Mike S and HMF like this.
  7. huwar18

huwar18 Well-Known Member

I agree. I feel Disney is setting this park up to be a Star Wars park. This is just the first step. In my opinion, I think this is the test phase before massive overhaul. However, I think it would be a long ways down the road.

Maerj likes this.
  8. Homer fan

Homer fan Active Member

That makes perfect sense. Instead of being a 5th park, this will just become Star Wars park eventually. If that's the case, hopefully rides like ToT and RnR can be included or moved to a different park. This is the better approach, as they do have three other parks that need to be upkept better as it is.

9. the.dreamfinder

the.dreamfinder Well-Known Member

I believe a certain @ParentsOf4 fellow made a strong argument for a fifth gate. Of course, there is still content and theme of that gate and the location, along with other creative and design questions.

10. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

I am a huge Star Wars fan and would personally love a park that is primarily Star Wars, but with that said I don't think it's something Disney should do. It's just like Universal and Harry Potter. I think they have done has made good use of the franchise, but personally would not want to see them do more, although I think it's possible they still will. I would be ok with a Star Wars land expansion beyond what is currently being built, if it part of that was removing or consolidating some of the other Star Wars stuff that is in the park.

11. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

The current rumor over on Orlando United of more Potter is a Hogsmeade expansion that takes over Dragon Challenge. Possibly one big ride and a smaller one. Since that land could literally not be used for anything else but Potter I'm fine with it. After this though anything else should go to Site B or just not be done. Personally I've lost interest in seeing the Ministry of Magic and would rather another IP take over Fear Factor. Maybe one that also takes place in London.

Kman101, Bill Cipher, S 2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Dan deesnee

Dan deesnee Member

I think a Pixar Park makes sense. Move the Pixar rides from HS to the new park, scrap Toy Story Land and put that in Pixar Park instead. Then take all the space freed up by removing the Pixar stuff from HS and the Toy Story Land land, and the great movie ride, and the Indiana Jones experience, etc. and expand HS to include not only Star Wars but also Marvel. Then, put a unique transportation system to allow guests to easily and relatively quickly go from Pixar Park to HS, and vice versa similar to the Hogwarts Express.

Just my two cents.

jt04 likes this.
  13. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

If the rumor is true that Pixar's stay is limited at DHS then Pixar is being assimilated into the WDAS collective or will be a 5th gate IP. Doesn't seem to be another path. I'd welcome a 5th gate someday.

14. El_Tomato

El_Tomato Active Member

So, after SWL is done, what will happen to Launch Bay? And will that ugly stage in the middle of the park be removed, along with the First Order march?

sunsetblvd26 likes this.
  15. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

With the Hogsmeade expansion, are we looking at a Forbidden Forest ride? Or maybe something to do with Prisoner of Azkaban (Whomping Willow, Shrieking Shack, etc)? I'm trying to think of the timeline of the HP attractions. It's Book 4 for Hogsmeade and Book 6 for Diagon Alley?

Mike S and uncle jimmy like this.
  16. truecoat

truecoat Well-Known Member

It seems odd that a $200 million expansion is looked at as limited.

maroonmol, Mike S, jt04 and 2 others like this.
  17. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

All SWE expansion is long term. I'd doubt we would see any pre-2025. A fifth gate is about as likely as DL getting a third right now. (Their chance went down, not vice versa)

Kman101, flyerjab, maroonmol and 7 others like this.
  18. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Here's the problem with a Pixar Park: The Pixar movies are all over the place setting wise -- past, present, future; and with different genres. And so, a Pixar Place will have it's own MK-like separate 'lands'.... unless you do a DHS and make the park Pixar Studios. But if go that latter route, then there's no place for Disney Animated movies that might fit very well into a Pixar Park, like Inside Out or Coco. And you have the vice versa... Someone will go to "Pixar Park" and be miffed that Merida isn't there and you have to explain she's at the Disney park.

19. Dan deesnee

Dan deesnee Member

I'm not really sure what you mean. The Disney animated movies are also all over the place setting wise, character wise, etc. but they obviously found a way to make it work, and work quite well. I don't see an issue with Pixar Park being separated into "lands". I think people would prefer it. Also, why not just move Merida to Pixar Park? Seems like a super easy solution. Let's face it, Pixars presence in the Disney World parks right now is not extreme outside of Hollywood Studios which, as I had mentioned, can be moved to Pixar Park leaving increased land for Star Wars and Marvel to expand into.

20. MCast

MCast Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed in the prior 455 pages of this thread, but isn't it strange for Star Tours to be disconnected from SWL? It seems the Muppets Courtyard blocks it from flowing. Do they plan to overlay Star Tours with another IP at some point?