1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

'Star Wars' Han Solo spinoff in the works with 'Lego Movie' writers/directors

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by Tony Perkis, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

August has literally nothing coming out (well, it does, but nothing big). That's probably what helped Guardians win the box office for so long last go around. While that wouldn't have worked this year (too close to Spider-Man and Thor 3), Disney should have scheduled Pirates 5 for August just so it has a chance to survive.
    This is what's coming out in May (in terms of big pictures)
    • Guardians 2 [5th]
    • King Arthur [12th]
    • Snatched (Amy Schumer/Goldie Hawn comedy) [12th]
    • Alien: Covenant [19th]
    • Pirates 5 [26th]
    • Baywatch [26th]
    Guardians should hold the top spot for at least 2 weekends, depending on the reviews of Covenant. Just my guess, but King Arthur is probably going to be the first flop of the year.

Here's what June holds:
    • Wonder Woman [2nd]
    • Captain Underpants [2nd] (will probably do okay for movie goers with kids until Cars comes out)
    • The Mummy [9th]
    • Cars 3 [16th]
    • Transformers 5 [23rd]
    • Despicable Me 3 [30th]
    • The House (Amy Poehler/Will Ferrell comedy) [30th]
    Pirates has a week, if that, to be #1 at the box office. I don't think it will flop, but it definitely won't perform as well as other movies (like Guardians, Wonder Woman, and probably Transformers).

2. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

Iger dropped some details about the events in the movie...

Iger said the Alden Ehrenreich-starring film will chronicle Solo's life between ages 18 to 24 and explore how the beloved smuggler went about "acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookie." Iger added, "You'll also discover how he got his name."

I am really hoping they build a good story for this film. There are just so many things we know are in Han's past I would hate the film to simply be a vehicle to bring these details to the screen without a good story to support it.

Princess Leia likes this.
  3. tk924

tk924 Well-Known Member

As a huge SW fan, I'm not excited for this movie. This runs along the same lines with what the prequels did to Vader. Part of the excitement of characters like Vader and Han in the original trilogy was that they had a mysterious background. We don't necessarily need to see every detail of how they came to be.
    But, I will still go to see it. I have to. SW is in my DNA.

lazyboy97o likes this.
  4. danlb_2000

5. Princess Leia

6. danlb_2000

The Justice League movie recently lost it's director during post production.

7. Princess Leia

8. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member

Hate that for Snyder and his family. So sad! Suicide is never the answer. Just hope Lucas Films can make Han Solo right!

9. Princess Leia

After Rogue One, I'm just surprised that something like creative differences is bringing production to a halt (though I know that it also had some reshoots). Edwards had control over the plot of that film, and from what I gathered, he was the one who suggested that
    that the entire main cast of the film die

It was a bit more in the production/writing phase, rather than the filming stage, but a parallel that I'm thinking of is Ant-Man. Edgar Wright had his own vision for the film, but Disney didn't think it tonally fit, so they parted ways with him, but kept parts of his script.

It will be interesting to see what remains from Miller and Lord in this film.

10. Princess Leia

11. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member

Im sorry but this film is shaping up to be a mess. I have yet to see a film change directors more than midway shoot end up to be anything more than a tonal mess.

12. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Especially since the tone is what seems to be the issue. Trying to rework that without starting all over seems a bad idea.

13. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis Well-Known Member Original Poster

This will be the first SW film I actively hope fails. Lord and Miller were the only reasons this could be good.

14. danlb_2000

I was thinking more about the effect of replacing a director, but not the cause. Here is an article about 17 films that changed directors after shooting had started. The list includes Pixar's Brave.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...t-changed-director-after-shooting-had-started

15. Princess Leia

16. Princess Leia

17. danlb_2000

"Help us Opie-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope." .... Someone had to do it. :)

Seriously, I think he is a good choice. I often forget how impressive his directing credits actually are.

WhatJaneSays and Princess Leia like this.
  18. Princess Leia

Impressive directing credits, and a background with George Lucas (American Graffiti) and Lucasfilm (Willow).

I am really relieved about Alden though. It sounds like he has the integrity of the film in mind, when the former directors maybe didn't understand the material as well as they should have.

19. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

So if Howard directs it, does that push back the Willow sequel?

20. ChampDisney

ChampDisney Well-Known Member

Wow! These guys just blew their chance of ever making a Star Wars film again in their lifetime! Just the fact that they were bickering like a bunch of little girls to Lucasfilm (who knows the material better than anyone because they are Lucasfilm!) proves that these guys were unfit to direct a Star Wars standalone.

That's a shame. I'm sure now they'll get on to make that lame 21 Jump Street/Men in Black crossover.. if they're still feeling frisky over space aliens... :cautious: