1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

'Star Wars' Han Solo spinoff in the works with 'Lego Movie' writers/directors

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by Tony Perkis, Jul 7, 2015.

1. erasure fan1

erasure fan1 Well-Known Member

I guess the only story I would like to see is right before a new hope so 29 to 32 would be good. I just don't think a teenage (or early 20s) Solo is all that appealing.

2. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Premium Member

The Hollywood reporting is saying these are the current 3 up for the role -

Alden Ehrenreich, he was one of the highlights of Hail, Caesar!

[​IMG]

Jack Reynor, he is known for his work in Transformers: Age of Extinction and the upcoming Sing Street.

[​IMG]

Taron Egerton, the star of The Kingsman and Eddie the Eagle.

[​IMG]

3. RandomPrincess

Young Han has been cast -

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/05/star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-young-han-solo

Ehrenreich, 26, recently appeared in Hail, Caesar! and is also playing the lead in Warren Beatty’s long-gestating Howard Hughes movie.

[​IMG]

Ehrenreich is nearly a decade younger than Harrison Ford (then 35) was when he first portrayed the swashbuckling pilot of the Millennium Falcon in the original Star Wars, released in 1977. Ford reprised the role in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and more recently in The Force Awakens. Talking with EW’s Anthony Breznican late last year, Ford offered this piece of advice for the next actor to pick up Han’s blaster: I would say, ‘Talk to your director. Watch the movies. And welcome aboard. Make it your own.’”

4. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Hopefully this movie won't be karaoke night. Too bad we didn't clone River Phoenix at his death in '93. He would be old enough now to play young Han Solo.

5. RandomPrincess

He would be too old. He would be in his 40s.

phruby likes this.
  6. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Not unless the clone was born in 1994. That would make him 22. Unless Disney got those accelerated cloning tubes from Lucasfilm.

7. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

The HAN SOLO Screenplay Has Been Described As The Best One In The STAR WARS Series To Date
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi...ay-has-been-described-as-the-best-one-a143068

Princess Leia likes this.
  8. erasure fan1

erasure fan1 Well-Known Member

I agree with the comment "pretty unnecessary". That said, I really hope they blow my mind with this movie. The comments are a good sign so here's hoping for the best.

9. Dead2009

Alden Ehrenreich to play Han Solo in three movies?
    http://moviehole.net/2016107095han-solo-alden-ehrenreich

10. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

So this movie isn't being done in legos?

Tori likes this.
  11. Dead2009

12. RandomPrincess

IMG_3575.JPG First look at the cast - http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/21/han-solo-movie-cast-photo/
    Alden Ehrenreich
    Woody Harrelson, Game of Thronesstar Emilia Clarke, Atlantaauteur Donald Glover (as Lando Calrissian), Westworld actress Thandie Newton (not shown), and Fleabag star Phoebe Waller-Bridge, with Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca. Shooting started Feb. 20

ElreTigo likes this.
  13. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

2 things.
    1. How did I miss the Thandie Newton announcement? She's going to be great in whatever role they put her in
    2. The EW article says that it's going to be released May 2018. I thought it was scheduled for December of that year?

ElreTigo likes this.
  14. ElreTigo

ElreTigo Well-Known Member

Isn't she supposed to play a younger Maz Kanata?

15. RandomPrincess

The same actress could do a younger version. I think the original Maz actress is about 10 years younger than Thandie.

16. ElreTigo

ElreTigo Well-Known Member

Ah, true. I didn't realize their age difference.

17. Princess Leia

Lupita Nyong'o is 33, Thandie is 44, so about 10 years. Not like Lupita's age would make any difference since Maz is an animated character :p
    It would make a ton of sense to feature Maz in this movie, so I hope they're able to work around Lupita's schedule for this.

RandomPrincess and ElreTigo like this.
  18. WhatJaneSays

WhatJaneSays Well-Known Member

May 2018 was always the official penciled in date, but there was a very strong rumor that if Avatar 2 vacates it's December 2018 spot the Han Solo movie will claim it. That may still happen as there has been minimal word from Cameron & Co. lately if December 2018 is even a possibility anymore.I personalty doubt a 2018 release for Avatar 2.

SW has preformed well in it's mid-December slot and Disney is very predictable with it's release schedule. Avengers: Infinity War is also slated for May 2018 and I can't imagine that Disney will decide to compete against themselves for such an overlapping demographic.

19. Princess Leia

Got it. I agree with you about Avatar 2- they haven't even started filming yet. Due to all of the technical pieces that will need to be put together, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out Spring 2019 instead (Earth Day, perhaps?)

As for Disney not cannibalizing film release dates (even though Avatar isn't theirs, they'll be promoting it at Pandora), Guardians 2 and Pirates 5 come out in May this year, and The Last Jedi & Mary Poppins Returns will both be released this December. While the latter 2 won't be sharing the same audiences (though I'll be seeing both), Guardians and Pirates definitely will have a shared base.

20. WhatJaneSays

WhatJaneSays Well-Known Member

GotG and PotC do have some overlapping demos, but not as many as they would have if PotC5 came out in timely fashion. PotC doesn't seem to be pulling as much cross generational (or gender) traffic as it did last go around. I do think it's not the wisest decision to put them out so close together; Disney kind of scheduled themselves into a potential issue this year with the GotG2-PotC5-Cars3 trifecta. (Thinking PotC might be the weakest of the 3 I'd have moved it to mid/late July.)