News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
A few other things worth mentioning.

i-NsD2xdt-O.png

The counter clockwise tree clearing continues. Here is the other end of the old Nature's Wonderland tunnel (which is apparently staying). The two West entrances will come around either side of this.

i-r5Pv73Z-O.png

i-vr6p6HM-O.png

More backstage appearing as the berm is eaten away.

i-qWfSk9S-O.png

ROA is drained

i-JnqwsVs-O.png

So this answers the question of how they are going to be able to take down the construction walls along ROA. Very Smart! It excited me until I realized that it's going to block a great construction viewing angle. I guess that's the point.

(via Mint Crocodile)

BrianLo

Original Poster
Thank you very much @BrianLo for sharing those photos with us. They are fascinating to see.

This is so exciting! Thank goodness for the Mickey & Friends parking structure. At least until the big warehouse ride buildings arrive and start blocking the view a year or so from now.

Agreed. I'm happy they seem to be starting with the Millennium Falcon buildings first, the Battle Attraction will pretty much put an end to the parking structure views (as it is partially designed to do).

Short term loss for long term gain. The better job they do the worse our construction angles will become - but the better sightlines will be in the long run. I think we'll be pretty much limited to aerials to see the actual Star Wars village construction as the show buildings will go in first.

D

Deleted member 107043

Side stepping for a second - I'm always a bit surprised at how shallow the ROA is whenever I see it drained.

TP2000

It's interesting to remember that the Rivers of America got a publicly-touted remake and plussing just a few years ago. That's the one Tony Baxter oversaw and Disney made a big deal with the media about how the Rivers of America was now divided up into distinct sections that were themed and landscaped to represent four distinct American rivers; the Mississippi, the Rio Grande, the Columbia and the Potomac.
riversofamerica.jpg

(Although to be honest, it all still looked the same with 50 year old overgrown trees and Indian manequins and fiberglass animals posed amongst random bushes. The entire river complex came closest to looking like the Potomac, but that's because the Potomac is mostly unremarkable and lazily plods through flatlands full of trees without much to look at. Disneyland's Rivers of America looks nothing like the Columbia, and the Rio Grande is a huge stretch too.)

But that plus-up and refurbishment only lasted five years. Most of those things marked "New" on the map above have now been removed or torn out, and won't return in that same format again. It was all a waste of money, although how could anyone approving the project back in 2009 know that Iger would buy Lucasfilm in 2012?

D

Deleted member 107043

Nice recap TP, although I would argue that for Disney "plussing" should rarely be viewed as a waste of money, but the cost of operating their parks in a Disney-like fashion. If you think about the cost and maintenance of the most recent ROA refresh it probably lasted longer and was less expensive to operate than many temporary shows, parades, and firework spectacles that have come and gone at DLR in recent years. The Mad T Party and ElecTRONica come to mind.

D

Deleted member 107043

On another note, whatever happened to the live ponies? Did they ever even make an appearance?

TP2000

On another note, whatever happened to the live ponies? Did they ever even make an appearance?

Very briefly. I remember seeing them in 2010. Although it was weird to have been on this boat ride for 10 minutes going past static and obviously plastic animals with a few jiggling Indian manequins, and then all of a sudden there were these live horses walking around behind the tee-pees.

Here's a report with photos of the live horses in the Indian Village back in 2010, from our old Laughingplace stomping ground. http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-1045-15.asp

Old Mouseketeer

A few other things worth mentioning.

i-NsD2xdt-O.png

The counter clockwise tree clearing continues. Here is the other end of the old Nature's Wonderland tunnel (which is apparently staying). The two West entrances will come around either side of this.
(via Mint Crocodile)

Great pictures and details. One correction--this tunnel predates Nature's Wonderland. Until the SF&DRR was re-routed further to the North for iasw in 1966, this tunnel was for the railroad leading from Frontierland to the route immediately behind Casey Jr/Storybookland where a service road now runs. So far as I know, this tunnel dates to 1955 or at least some years before iasw. And both the West entrances to SWL will be West of this tunnel.

Old Mouseketeer

A couple of new details from my rebel spies. The new Transportation Center (motor pool) next to Ball Road is nearing completion. This will replace the buildings in the foreground of pictures from M&F Parking Structure. Winston Gate will close in a week or so. The frontmost building inside Winston Gate, including the Security Desk will be demolished soon. The facilities costume issue location has been moved into the main Entertainment Building and the lockers are moving to the bottom level of M&F. The interesting thing is that the recycling center has moved to the small triangle near Katella and the Alpine Motel, under the big brown water tower behind Carsland. No word yet on progress relocating Horticulture to the West Side from Indy up to Splash.

Interesting tidbit--there's a building permit issued by Anaheim for new "temporary" kennels for Security's K-9 canines next to Indy. The amount is $100K. My spies tell me they were temporarily located on the North side of M&F and they look nice. I think is great for these terrific dogs. I've been told they can detect both drugs and gunpowder/explosives. They are a great asset for our safety when visiting the resort.

Old Mouseketeer

Very briefly. I remember seeing them in 2010. Although it was weird to have been on this boat ride for 10 minutes going past static and obviously plastic animals with a few jiggling Indian manequins, and then all of a sudden there were these live horses walking around behind the tee-pees.

Here's a report with photos of the live horses in the Indian Village back in 2010, from our old Laughingplace stomping ground. http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-1045-15.asp

I heard a couple of details from CMs from the Mark Twain and Circle D. In recent summers, there was a real Indian horse from the Lakota reservation in South Dakota. Her name was Nakota, which is also the type of horse she was. She was a beautiful "paint" with markings on her coat that looked like she was splashed with white paint. When she was not in residence, another horse with "a day off" from the MS Streetcars could be displayed. I know at least one Mark Twain captain shared this knowledge with guests in the Wheelhouse. A CM I know visited Circle D before it closed. Sadly, Nakota was adopted out last year, hopefully to a wonderful new home.

BrianLo

Original Poster
A couple of new details from my rebel spies. The new Transportation Center (motor pool) next to Ball Road is nearing completion. This will replace the buildings in the foreground of pictures from M&F Parking Structure. Winston Gate will close in a week or so. The frontmost building inside Winston Gate, including the Security Desk will be demolished soon. The facilities costume issue location has been moved into the main Entertainment Building and the lockers are moving to the bottom level of M&F. The interesting thing is that the recycling center has moved to the small triangle near Katella and the Alpine Motel, under the big brown water tower behind Carsland. No word yet on progress relocating Horticulture to the West Side from Indy up to Splash.

Interesting tidbit--there's a building permit issued by Anaheim for new "temporary" kennels for Security's K-9 canines next to Indy. The amount is $100K. My spies tell me they were temporarily located on the North side of M&F and they look nice. I think is great for these terrific dogs. I've been told they can detect both drugs and gunpowder/explosives. They are a great asset for our safety when visiting the resort.

Thanks so much, that's awesome information!

jamesv159

Why will they be moving the lockers to the parking structure if Cast Members will not be able to leave and enter the park from this entrance anymore? Or are they making a new entrance?

Phroobar

That's what I thought. The red ones are still pending. They should take the opportunity to expand Winnie the Pooh a little since construction goes right up to it.

Overhead2-031316-AVP.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom