News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

TP2000

Meanwhile, in Orlando...

The more the aerial photos come in of the sister project out at DHS, the more I think there are going to be some pretty noticeable differences between these two lands that were once thought to be clones.

Here's a recent photo of the left-side entrance to the land, from the MuppetVision courtyard area and a new mini-land called "Grand Avenue" that will have what is left of the old Streets of America facades and a new wine/beer bar called Baseline Tap House.
star-wars-galaxys-edge-air-09202017-6.jpg

That big cement wall at the end of the street is the land's entry portal, the same entrance at Disneyland that takes you from Critter Country under the berm and new railroad trestle and up a pathway into Galaxy's Edge. The tunnel at DHS has a short dogleg curve, before landing into the land with the Stormtrooper ride immediately on your left. The tall cement wall just past the entry portal is the actual Stormtrooper ride facility, with no real buffer area between.

The whole thing at DHS just looks so smooshed together (smooshed is a technical term in the architectural engineering profession, I believe). At DHS you will literally walk right into the land and BAM! it begins.

But at Disneyland, you pass the canoe dock, walk alongside the River for a bit, turn left under the railroad trestle and pass through a tunnel under the berm. Then you come out and walk along a S-curve path that eventually gets you to a big open area that leads to the Stormtrooper queue across the way, as noted in the orange arrow on the left side of this image.
SWL-Aerial-Paths.jpg

There's a whole bunch more space in the Disneyland version on the left side of the land. The Stormtrooper queue and ride buildings sit right up against MuppetVision at DHS, but are quite a ways away from Winnie The Pooh's similar ride building at Disneyland.
maxresdefault.jpg

With every image and photo update that comes in from each coast, I just get the feeling that Disneyland's version is going to have more room and more build-up. And I have similar assumptions that grow stronger with each aerial photo that the space on the opposite side of the land, the "village" area in front of the Millenium Falcon ride, is going to be noticeably bigger with a longer entry portal than the DHS version.

And finally, why the heck don't we have any good aerial drone footage of the Disneyland version? Where's the college kid who spent his beer money on an HD drone camera to fly over Star Wars from a launch pad at the Shell station on Ball Road?!? Where's the retired dentist in a Cessna flying out of Fullerton airport while his wife snaps pics on her iPhone 7 out the window for us?!? How come the Disneyland fan community is so bad at getting up in the air over Disneyland, while the WDW fan community gets monthly aerial updates??? :confused:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Meanwhile, in Orlando...

The more the aerial photos come in of the sister project out at DHS, the more I think there are going to be some pretty noticeable differences between these two lands that were once thought to be clones.

Here's a recent photo of the left-side entrance to the land, from the MuppetVision courtyard area and a new mini-land called "Grand Avenue" that will have what is left of the old Streets of America facades and a new wine/beer bar called Baseline Tap House.
star-wars-galaxys-edge-air-09202017-6.jpg

That big cement wall at the end of the street is the land's entry portal, the same entrance at Disneyland that takes you from Critter Country under the berm and new railroad trestle and up a pathway into Galaxy's Edge. The tunnel at DHS has a short dogleg curve, before landing into the land with the Stormtrooper ride immediately on your left. The tall cement wall just past the entry portal is the actual Stormtrooper ride facility, with no real buffer area between.

The whole thing at DHS just looks so smooshed together (smooshed is a technical term in the architectural engineering profession, I believe). At DHS you will literally walk right into the land and BAM! it begins.

But at Disneyland, you pass the canoe dock, walk alongside the River for a bit, turn left under the railroad trestle and pass through a tunnel under the berm. Then you come out and walk along a S-curve path that eventually gets you to a big open area that leads to the Stormtrooper queue across the way, as noted in the orange arrow on the left side of this image.
SWL-Aerial-Paths.jpg

There's a whole bunch more space in the Disneyland version on the left side of the land. The Stormtrooper queue and ride buildings sit right up against MuppetVision at DHS, but are quite a ways away from Winnie The Pooh's similar ride building at Disneyland.
maxresdefault.jpg

With every image and photo update that comes in from each coast, I just get the feeling that Disneyland's version is going to have more room and more build-up. And I have similar assumptions that grow stronger with each aerial photo that the space on the opposite side of the land, the "village" area in front of the Millenium Falcon ride, is going to be noticeably bigger with a longer entry portal than the DHS version.

And finally, why the heck don't we have any good aerial drone footage of the Disneyland version? Where's the college kid who spent his beer money on an HD drone camera to fly over Star Wars from a launch pad at the Shell station on Ball Road?!? Where's the retired dentist in a Cessna flying out of Fullerton airport while his wife snaps pics on her iPhone 7 out the window for us?!? How come the Disneyland fan community is so bad at getting up in the air over Disneyland, while the WDW fan community gets monthly aerial updates??? :confused:
I couldn't agree with you more. It's a shame DL doesn't get more aerial coverage (you know...unless workers are in peril across the resort). If only we had our own version of BioReconstruct or Blog Mickey.

And you're right. The queue portion of B.E. in DHS does smoosh right up next to/behind Muppets which is a head scratcher since wasn't DL supposed to be the one area struggling for land space?

I guess the difference is negligible to execs so long as the show buildings can be similarly sized and laid out.

TP2000

I couldn't agree with you more. It's a shame DL doesn't get more aerial coverage (you know...unless workers are in peril across the resort). If only we had our own version of BioReconstruct or Blog Mickey.

And you're right. The queue portion of B.E. in DHS does smoosh right up next to/behind Muppets which is a head scratcher since wasn't DL supposed to be the one area struggling for land space?

I guess the difference is negligible to execs so long as the show buildings can be similarly sized and laid out.

Yup. And I have no doubt the rides themselves, once you get inside each building, will be identical on each coast. The ride buildings and their footprints do seem to be identical in each park. It's the open areas in front of and between each ride, and entry pathways into and out of the land, that seem to be smooshed at DHS.

I just discovered Blog Mickey, it's a great resource for Star Wars pics! https://blogmickey.com/2017/09/phot...galaxys-edge-attractions-land-september-2017/

Look how close the Stormtrooper ride is to MuppetVision! The buildings run right up against each other, almost literally sharing a wall. If the Muppets have a loud party on a Saturday night, the Stormtroopers are gonna call the cops!
star-wars-galaxys-edge-air-09202017-4.jpg

star-wars-galaxys-edge-air-09202017-12.jpg

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yup. And I have no doubt the rides themselves, once you get inside each building, will be identical on each coast. The ride buildings and their footprints do seem to be identical in each park. It's the open areas in front of and between each ride, and entry pathways into and out of the land, that seem to be smooshed at DHS.

I just discovered Blog Mickey, it's a great resource for Star Wars pics! https://blogmickey.com/2017/09/phot...galaxys-edge-attractions-land-september-2017/

Look how close the Stormtrooper ride is to MuppetVision! The buildings run right up against each other, almost literally sharing a wall. If the Muppets have a loud party on a Saturday night, the Stormtroopers are gonna call the cops!

Muppets and Star Wars...hmmmm...Maybe that's where the Porgs came from!

britain

I wonder if SWL was approved for that spot, but there might have been a "will we or won't we" keep the Muppets discussion that was worked out a little later.

Little Green Men

@marni1971 Can we get any clarity?

No Name

I love you guys, but you're testing my sanity. Just notice how the Battle Escape showbuilding physically couldn't fit as close to Critter Country as it is to Muppets. The area isn't wide enough. The pathway has to curve around the river before there's room for a showbuilding alongside it. They didn't shorten RoA just for kicks and giggles.

The false assumption here is that the showbuilding is closer by necessity in DHS, which future aerials will prove not true. It was a choice on DHS's part. And it's further by necessity in DL. Or do we not like that thought?

BrianLo

Original Poster
We've covered this back and forth a few times both in this forum and up above.

The layout in DHS is different than DL because there is no functional reason it needed to maintain the same entrance length as DL. It's not an IOA->USH potter type situation though. Aesthetically it will be more meandering versus a grand reveal in DHS.

DHS has more than enough room to clone it, but that's poor design, things need to be adapted to make more sense in the park they are in. I see it as a positive.

But make no mistake, DHS received the clone. Situations easily could have been reversed if this was being designed today.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And finally, why the heck don't we have any good aerial drone footage of the Disneyland version?

There's a prohibited fly space over DL and WDW. Both are centered on the castles. The prohibited space is only a little more than half a mile radius. In WDW, all the parks except the MK is outside that space. At DL, well, obviously DL is fully within that prohibited space.

You can fly into prohibited airspace with permission and paperwork, but, it's a lot more easy to not worry about it and fly over DHS.

TP2000

@marni1971 Can we get any clarity?

@marni1971 is a fabulous resource, obviously. But I'm not sure that we need him to weigh in, as the aerial photos of the last couple months speak for themselves. I'm simply going off of aerial photos taken from similar angles of the identical ride buildings on each coasts.

At DHS the Stormtrooper ride smacks right up against MuppetVision and Grand Avenue.

But at Disneyland, the identical Stormtrooper ride building sits quite a ways from the Winnie The Pooh building and the entry portal from Critter Country.
20170723_111011-cropped.jpg

There also appears to be some noticeable differences in building placement and perimeter location at Disneyland compared to DHS, creating more room inside the land itself for Disneyland's version compared to DHS. But I'll wait for the DHS construction to catch up a bit more before we dive into that topic.

Regardless, these two lands are clearly not clones. There are sizeable differences in placement and elbow room between the two projects.

TP2000

I love you guys, but you're testing my sanity. Just notice how the Battle Escape showbuilding physically couldn't fit as close to Critter Country as it is to Muppets. The area isn't wide enough. The pathway has to curve around the river before there's room for a showbuilding alongside it. They didn't shorten RoA just for kicks and giggles.

The false assumption here is that the showbuilding is closer by necessity in DHS, which future aerials will prove not true. It was a choice on DHS's part. And it's further by necessity in DL. Or do we not like that thought?

Whatever the reason, there's a lot more room at Disneyland between the land entry portal and Stormtrooper ride. At DHS, they are smack next to each other. At Disneyland, there's a big chunk of open land there.

The D23 model showed the Disneyland version (as told to me by the Imagineer who joined me on the viewing platform at the back of the room for 10 minutes of chatting). That open space between Critter Country and the Stormtrooper ride is shown here on the D23 Disneyland model.

19956271_1582914101760185_6296853541837492875_o.jpg

At the DHS version, that open space doesn't exist. It may work better at DHS from a visual perspective, or it may work better at Disneyland with more room to create sightlines and open areas. We'll have to see in 2019.

Regardless, I find it to be an interesting development for WDW and the "blessing of size" that doesn't really exist at DHS but that we had been led to believe not only existed, but would make the Disneyland version inferior.

TP2000

There's a prohibited fly space over DL and WDW. Both are centered on the castles. The prohibited space is only a little more than half a mile radius. In WDW, all the parks except the MK is outside that space. At DL, well, obviously DL is fully within that prohibited space.

You can fly into prohibited airspace with permission and paperwork, but, it's a lot more easy to not worry about it and fly over DHS.

Ah, okay. That explains why the retired dentist in his Cessna isn't getting his wife to take photos with her iPhone.

But that doesn't explain why the plucky college kid with the decent HD drone can't launch a recon mission from the Shell station on Ball Road. Don't tell me he finally got a date on Saturday night and has given up drones and video games!

TP2000

These boneheads tried it.

That's hysterical that they tried that sitting in the bed of their truck in the Disneyland parking lot. I have a hunch they knew exactly what would happen, but needed blog material and did it anyway.

I'll say this again... what we need is a smart but punky college kid with an HD drone he got for Christmas to launch from Ball Road somewhere and do a quick 3 minute flyover. He can't have a Disney blog so that he isn't beholden to the Mouse for freebies and keeping his AP payment plan from cancellation. We can start a collection to pay him and his buddies with pizza and a pony keg for each quick HD flyover he does monthly through the spring of 2019.

I have half a mind to drive over to Fullerton Junior College right now and put up some fliers on the bulletin boards looking for that individual. :D

TP2000

Speaking of bonehead blogs...I saw one recently of a guy who tried to "sneak into Star Wars Land" through the doors on Big Thunder Trail. He opened the wooden door, only to be met with a metal door and security keypad.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I hope he at least tried the security keypad. I would have immediately entered 1977, and wouldn't be surprised if it opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom