News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Andrew M

Mainly because from our perspective we can see.. it's one size all the way around. So it looks to be uniform in material.. which pretty much eliminates fiberglass.. and aluminum might be viable, but at what cost to make huge drawn beams like that? And still doesn't explain why not using more conventional dimensional stuff like tubes.

Well, they do make fiberglass structural shapes like beams, plates and angles that when finished look exactly like primed and painted steel and then can be bolted together to look like that. However you're right it, probably would be faster and cheaper just to have it built in plain ol' steel. Like you said there are some larger but fairly lightweight steel sections that could be selected that have the same appearance as heavier grade steel.

Perhaps there's a part of the ride that one of the sides gets blasted and the insides are exposed which would explain why it looks like that, or if they do indeed move around than that would also be a good reason.

180º

I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment with all these theories on big movement on these AT-ATs.
?? I couldn't care less. I was just thinking of reasons why they would build it out of structural steel.

When it comes to Star Wars Land, I'm here for the construction, not the result. I'm really not looking forward to this becoming a part of Disneyland, but that discussion is for the Wookiee and Rebels thread.

flynnibus

Premium Member
?? I couldn't care less. I was just thinking of reasons why they would build it out of structural steel.

Skin vs skeleton.. your support/skeleton needs to support heavy or dynamic loads.. your superficial skin giving your appearance doesn't need to support those loads. worst case they need to handle vibrations/movement.

Heck, at looking at something 50ft away in a show lit building.. You can use painted foam glued to stretched canvas and most people couldn't tell :)

180º

Skin vs skeleton.. your support/skeleton needs to support heavy or dynamic loads.. your superficial skin giving your appearance doesn't need to support those loads. worst case they need to handle vibrations/movement.

Heck, at looking at something 50ft away in a show lit building.. You can use painted foam glued to stretched canvas and most people couldn't tell :)
Totally. What mostly confounds me is the hull. I could see maybe constructing the legs out of steel, but such heavy steel for the body of the thing? Like I said, maybe they're storing heavy equipment in there, but at this point I doubt it.

TP2000

Our favorite lady atop the parking structure captured this earlier today, before the rain arrived...

Lotso stuff going on all over this project; Star Wars, AT-AT's, Rivers of America, Indian Village, trees, etc., etc.

Honestly, I'm already over the AT-AT's and really enjoyed Mr. Crane moving a new forest into place at the 9:00 mark of this video. All of those mature trees must have cost TDA a fortune! Anyone who has ever had their backyard professionally landscaped with mature trees (me in 2007) knows how much landscape architects and their contractors charge for just a handful of mature trees like this. But to purchase a couple hundred trees on a project this size, we're talking millions and millions of dollars.

Nice job, TDA. Putting your money where your mouth is on this one.

And yet, all those trees are now blocking our view of the Rivers of America part of this huge project. Suddenly the Indian Village and Tom Sawyer Island are hidden from view, and we won't see them again until the Mark Twain, Columbia and Canoes begin operating this summer. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment with all these theories on big movement on these AT-ATs.

I agree.
If they were going to articulate, I don't believe they would be fully assembled - framed out - already, as they are.
It's odd...
It's exciting to see them, and yet they don't compute.
They appear to be constructed of I beams as noted. That's odd.
The legs are nearly bolt upright, no bend. Even if a façade is placed over the legs to give the appearance of a bend, it can't be much.
Odd.
These AT AT's look structural, load bearing, rather than something designed for movement.

truecoat

Our favorite lady atop the parking structure captured this earlier today, before the rain arrived...

Lotso stuff going on all over this project; Star Wars, AT-AT's, Rivers of America, Indian Village, trees, etc., etc.

Honestly, I'm already over the AT-AT's and really enjoyed Mr. Crane moving a new forest into place at the 9:00 mark of this video. All of those mature trees must have cost TDA a fortune! Anyone who has ever had their backyard professionally landscaped with mature trees (me in 2007) knows how much landscape architects and their contractors charge for just a handful of mature trees like this. But to purchase a couple hundred trees on a project this size, we're talking millions and millions of dollars.

And yet, all those trees are now blocking our view of the Rivers of America part of this huge project. Suddenly the Indian Village and Tom Sawyer Island are hidden from view, and we won't see them again until the Mark Twain, Columbia and Canoes begin operating this summer. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.

I'm pretty sure they saved a bunch of trees from before.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The legs are nearly bolt upright, no bend. Even if a façade is placed over the legs to give the appearance of a bend, it can't be much.
Odd.

Yes, in contrast with the DHS build where the kink in the leg is part of the beam. I expect the wrap to give some sort of 'knee bend' to make them not look like they are on chopsticks.. but as you say, they can only go so far.

HauntedMansionFLA

Is the building at the 6:45 mark a backstage building?

The Mur

Was fortunate to hear a panel this last weekend about Pirates and it included Tony Baxter. He was talking about people including himself that would regularly climb the Swiss Family Tree House as they could look into the pit that was the Pirates building. He said it was just like making people who make regular treks to the Mickey and Friends garage to look into Star Wars Land!

Old Mouseketeer

I think it is, I believe the cement foundation in front of it is the Falcon ride.

I've written extensively about this area throughout this thread. The two-storey building being framed out is at the NE corner of SWL construction. That corner was ID'd in the MC graphic as expansion. But it is entirely taken up by the new building and the recently completed single-story white building next to it. They are directly to the West of ToonTown.

Earlier in the thread I posted my compilation of the various backstage services that will need a home, These include facilities that have been displaced by construction and do not yet have a permanent home as well as new support facilities for SWL.

According to my rebel spies, these buildings look more like permanent structures that have been added in the last ten+ years, especially on the East side of DCA.

Old Mouseketeer

Was fortunate to hear a panel this last weekend about Pirates and it included Tony Baxter. He was talking about people including himself that would regularly climb the Swiss Family Tree House as they could look into the pit that was the Pirates building. He said it was just like making people who make regular treks to the Mickey and Friends garage to look into Star Wars Land!

LOL!!! I remember doing exactly that! I remember looking down and seeing the parade floats parked on the dirt sometime after the land was cleared, but possibly not excavated yet. This included one of Walt's little electric cars--we had just seen him in the parade! At some point we rode the train after the HM house and RR tunnel had been built but the show building and the back/West side of the tunnel had not yet been enclosed.

I didn't get to go to Disneyland that often, even though we lived miles away (unless we had out-of-town visitors, in which case I was the self-appointed tour guide!). But I think I rode the Skyway at least once to look into construction of the New Tomorrowland. Man, I thought they would never get that finished. Imagine my despair when they took out the Monsanto House. I wanted to live in that house!!!

TP2000

Another update from our favorite lady...

Oops, it's gone now.

Hmm... the video dissapeared from YouTube, and she had mentioned in the comments she was having a hard time getting it to "stick" on YouTube once uploaded. But it was a new video with some neat perspectives from Big Thunder and Critter Country areas. I'll keep an eye out and if it re-appears we'll try again.

Last edited:

SSG

Iger spoke at a USC tech conference today. It seems we will have material for SWL for quite a while:

When Disney acquired Lucasfilm, it originally envisioned three new “Star Wars” films. But the company’s creative team is now working on “Star Wars” stories that will go well beyond Episode 9, he said. The team is thinking about “what could be another decade and a half of ‘Star Wars’ stories,” he said.

http://ht.ly/uRFf30acuwQ

180º

Another update from our favorite lady...

Oops, it's gone now.

Hmm... the video dissapeared from YouTube, and she had mentioned in the comments she was having a hard time getting it to "stick" on YouTube once uploaded. But it was a new video with some neat perspectives from Big Thunder and Critter Country areas. I'll keep an eye out and if it re-appears we'll try again.
I saw it when it was up. It looked like they were laying rebar all along the river floor, so the dirt river's days are numbered and we'll hopefully see concrete soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom