'Star Wars Galactic Nights' special event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Think I just found the primary reason for it: "It’s Star Wars: Galactic Nights, taking place in the midst of this year’s Star Wars Celebration!"

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/e...actic-nights/#/drawer=drawerPartyDatesDetails

That's right. SW Celebration is going on at the same time and they want in on the action. They'll be at SW Celebration during the day so why not make the price point higher than 1 day at MK in the evening. Why should downtown Orlando get all the $$$?

It was either Disney put together an evening package or the organizers do it (like the organizers of Gay Days create their own after hours party). Either way, Disney gets paid.

Tom P.

Something else. I notice that pricing is $129 for adults and $124 for children. Oooh, $5 off. I've noticed this being the trend for children's tickets. When is Disney just going to admit that they don't want to give discounts to children any more and make it all one price?

Brad Bishop

I can only hope that they have a "Very Special Ticketed Event" to the Star Wars Merchandise Tent. You pay something like $100+ to stand in line to buy Star Wars crap before everyone else - It was a regular thing at SWW.

YodaMan

"Will this event be recurring?
Yes. Star Wars Galactic Nights will return for select dates and we look forward to sharing more information in the future."

I am Timmy

Meh. Looks rather thin on "special" events unless you are big into M&G's and shows/talks. This looks like a bunch of stuff that used to be offered for free during Star Wars Weekends that has been repackaged as a hard ticket event for $129 (plus tax). No thanks.
Star wars weekends were amazing! Why did Disney decide to stop them?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Star wars weekends were amazing! Why did Disney decide to stop them?

They never officially announced why, but, it's likely because: 1. The area in which they would have a lot of SWW stuff was the Streets of America, which is now a construction zone; and, 2. DHS now has daily the kind of stuff you'd see at SWW: characters, fireworks, props.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They never officially announced why, but, it's likely because: 1. The area in which they would have a lot of SWW stuff was the Streets of America, which is now a construction zone; and, 2. DHS now has daily the kind of stuff you'd see at SWW: characters, fireworks, props.
The last SWW I attended was about 6 years ago. I dont recall there being anything significant in SoA pertaining to SW. Did that change over the years?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The last SWW I attended was about 6 years ago. I dont recall there being anything significant in SoA pertaining to SW. Did that change over the years?

I've never been. I'm relating what I've been told. When you went, where did they hold out door events?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not really and I have been at the Studios for all but a handful of the SWW days.

The event began to take over more and more of the park as years went on and crowds seem to grow faster then they could expand it. I could not imagine them trying to do a free SWW in this day and age given the current state of the park and the rate the event was growing.

It got to the point where it almost was not fun any more. In the beginning you could do pretty much everything in a single day as long as you got there maybe an hour before rope drop. Toward the end, doing everything even in 2 days was pretty tight.

If you wanted to do autographs and there was anyone there of any notoriety, getting int to line at 2:00 AM +/- was pretty close to a necessity.

Photographs with all the characters turned into waiting in one endless line after another in the hopes that the character you wanted would still be there.

The shows were pretty much the same deal. Want to see Ray Park's show at 1:00 PM....better get in line by 11:30.

Last edited:

21stamps

I think there's a market for this. SW is just so popular right now.

I keep reading posts of people saying that attendance at Hollywood Studios is way down.
I don't follow those things, does anyone know if that is actually the case?

Kevin_W

As another poster pointed out, this sounds a lot like what used to offered with regular admission during Star Wars Weekends. I'm glad we got to go to a couple of those before they went away.

I am Timmy

Thank you for responding. I do miss the Hoopla, dancing with the characters was fun. And the parade.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yep. According to the current schedule MK, Epcot and DHS have fireworks including with admission tonight, tomorrow and well into the future.

Indeed.

And while folks decry "the fashion show" of characters popping out on stage, well, a parade is nothing more than a fashion show that moves past you. Instead of themed floats, you get a large screen montage. And then, on top of that, you do get a sort of parade with the First Order March.

All for free!*

*Free as being defined by some as paying to enter the park.

I am Timmy

Not really and I have been at the Studios for all but a handful of the SWW days.

The event began to take over more and more of the park as years went on and crowds seem to grow faster then they could expand it. I could not imagine them trying to do a free SWW in this day and age given the current state of the park and the rate the event was growing.

It got to the point where it almost was not fun any more. In the beginning you could do pretty much everything in a single day as long as you got there maybe an hour before rope drop. Toward the end, doing everything even in 2 days was pretty tight.

If you wanted to do autographs and there was anyone there of any notoriety, getting int to line at 2:00 AM +/- was pretty close to a necessity.

Photographs with all the characters turned into waiting in one endless line after another in the hopes that the character you wanted would still be there.

The shows were pretty much the same deal. Want to see Ray Park's show at 1:00 PM....better get in line by 11:30.
I remember standing in a separate line just to get exclusive star wars collectibles - and they would only let a certain number of people in to look around at a time. Those people had piles of stuff in their arms to buy, since there was no limits then. If you didn't get there early, there was nothing left. My boys still have all the stuff we bought at those things, we always bought collectibles.
For Darth Vader pics, he hat to stop about every 15 min. or less because of the heat, but he was only there for a fixed time. We barely made the cut off to get pics with him, and I felt so sorry for the people behind us - either no Darth Vader pic or try and fit it in later and miss something else.
And the autographs! Getting there before dawn's crack to stand in line for a fastpass for an autograph later, my family would split up so we could in more than one line. My kids did get to meet Jake Lloyd, he was so sweet and really talked to them. I can see how this would become a nightmare the last couple of years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I remember standing in a separate line just to get exclusive star wars collectibles - and they would only let a certain number of people in to look around at a time. Those people had piles of stuff in their arms to buy, since there was no limits then. If you didn't get there early, there was nothing left. My boys still have all the stuff we bought at those things, we always bought collectibles.
For Darth Vader pics, he hat to stop about every 15 min. or less because of the heat, but he was only there for a fixed time. We barely made the cut off to get pics with him, and I felt so sorry for the people behind us - either no Darth Vader pic or try and fit it in later and miss something else.
And the autographs! Getting there before dawn's crack to stand in line for a fastpass for an autograph later, my family would split up so we could in more than one line. My kids did get to meet Jake Lloyd, he was so sweet and really talked to them. I can see how this would become a nightmare the last couple of years.
Did all that myself. The last time we did autographs Billy Dee Williams and Ray Park were there. My wife got in the Ray Park line and in Billy's at 3:00 AM. I was the second to last person to get a FP for Billy Dee. We were done at that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom