Star Wars at Disneyland

mharrington

Original Poster
This was from the same LA Times article in which Tom Staggs blew down the rumor of MagicBands coming to Disneyland:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...eyland-but-no-magic-bands-20150521-story.html

According to the article, Tom Staggs "declined to offer details but said he does not plan to remove any favorite features to make room for new 'Star Wars' attractions." He said, "We will look at 'Star Wars' to be a plus while not taking away from things that people love."

Now, it does not go into detail on what they mean by "favorite features", but it is possible to try and guess. Toontown is a "favorite feature" that "people love", certainly families and small children. Also, with Innoventions closed, gutted and not reopening until at least NEXT October (in 2016!), it also lends another possibility about where Star Wars anything could go.

On the other hand, he may have been referring to favorite features as only E-ticket rides.

GiveMeTheMusic

This was from the same LA Times article in which Tom Staggs blew down the rumor of MagicBands coming to Disneyland:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...eyland-but-no-magic-bands-20150521-story.html

According to the article, Tom Staggs "declined to offer details but said he does not plan to remove any favorite features to make room for new 'Star Wars' attractions." He said, "We will look at 'Star Wars' to be a plus while not taking away from things that people love."

Now, it does not go into detail on what they mean by "favorite features", but it is possible to try and guess. Toontown is a "favorite feature" that "people love", certainly families and small children. Also, with Innoventions closed, gutted and not reopening until at least NEXT October (in 2016!), it also lends another possibility about where Star Wars anything could go.

On the other hand, he may have been referring to favorite features as only E-ticket rides.

Toontown is not a favorite feature, and no one at Disney has any qualms about razing it. Staggs chose his words carefully but reading into them is useless at this stage, other than to say @WDW1974 has been right about Toontown. It's on the chopping block for a massive Star Wars expansion.

That could change of course, but it's still the plan.

kap91

I like toontown but it's a way better thing to raze then autopia and the subs which was in a previous plan

Still say a Star Wars land isn't a good fit for a park based on timeless genres but what do I know.

George Lucas on a Bench

Is there any need to build a new SW attraction? As much as I love SW and would dig to see something awesome done with it, I feel like we've all been assuming they would add new attractions since the acquisition of LFL. Realistically, I've been expecting a preview in the Magic Eye Theater, character meet and greets, props and merchandise. Maybe new stuff in Star Tours II. According to Iger, the focus is promoting their new movies. They really have no reason to add anything else. I remember the rumor they would be taking out the Autopia and Submarines and replacing with a speeder bike ride through Endor, after the 60th. Does anyone actually see them doing that?

mharrington

Original Poster
Is there any need to build a new SW attraction? As much as I love SW and would dig to see something awesome done with it, I feel like we've all been assuming they would add new attractions since the acquisition of LFL. Realistically, I've been expecting a preview in the Magic Eye Theater, character meet and greets, props and merchandise. Maybe new stuff in Star Tours II. According to Iger, the focus is promoting their new movies. They really have no reason to add anything else. I remember the rumor they would be taking out the Autopia and Submarines and replacing with a speeder bike ride through Endor, after the 60th. Does anyone actually see them doing that?

My thoughts exactly.

And of course, Toontown has to be closed for the fireworks, and so would a Star Wars land, if built back there. That doesn't make sense. Also, I think and hope that the new fireworks show will stick around for as long as Remember Dreams Come True and Magical both did, if not longer. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I'm not sure if the new fireworks show was created with consideration to the new land.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

My thoughts exactly.

And of course, Toontown has to be closed for the fireworks, and so would a Star Wars land, if built back there. That doesn't make sense. Also, I think and hope that the new fireworks show will stick around for as long as Remember Dreams Come True and Magical both did, if not longer. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I'm not sure if the new fireworks show was created with consideration to the new land.

You underestimate WDI's ability to plan for logistics like fireworks. Just one solution would be making the land at least partially indoors. The fireworks issue is a surmountable one.

TP2000

And of course, Toontown has to be closed for the fireworks, and so would a Star Wars land, if built back there.

No, it wouldn't have to close. If the land was built inside a warehouse "show building" sitting on the footprint of Toontown, there would be no reason to close for fireworks. Or rain. Or anything.

Indoor lands have been built at several Disney parks, but never in Anaheim because of the perfect climate here. But Little Mermaid land at Tokyo DisneySea is entirely indoors, with multiple attractions, shops, restaurants and a large theater show all under the same roof.

Mermaid-Lagoon.jpg

Disneyland Paris also does a similar thing with their Studios park, with multiple attractions, shows, dining and park infrastructure all clustered together inside big buildings.

Star Wars Land at Disneyland could begin where the Big Thunder Ranch and Festival Arena is behind Thunder Mountain, and then lead into a massive building or complex of buildings that take over the "backstage" area and the current land that Toontown sits on. Once a visitor enters Star Wars Land and walks a hundred yards into it, they could be indoors for the majority of their visit and experience a ride or two, a restaurant, shops, and perhaps a theater show. There's a huge amount of land to be used there.

6NmFmAC.jpg

Figments Friend

No, it wouldn't have to close. If the land was built inside a warehouse "show building" sitting on the footprint of Toontown, there would be no reason to close for fireworks. Or rain. Or anything.

Indoor lands have been built at several Disney parks, but never in Anaheim because of the perfect climate here. But Little Mermaid land at Tokyo DisneySea is entirely indoors, with multiple attractions, shops, restaurants and a large theater show all under the same roof.

Mermaid-Lagoon.jpg

Disneyland Paris also does a similar thing with their Studios park, with multiple attractions, shows, dining and park infrastructure all clustered together inside big buildings.

Star Wars Land at Disneyland could begin where the Big Thunder Ranch and Festival Arena is behind Thunder Mountain, and then lead into a massive building or complex of buildings that take over the "backstage" area and the current land that Toontown sits on. Once a visitor enters Star Wars Land and walks a hundred yards into it, they could be indoors for the majority of their visit and experience a ride or two, a restaurant, shops, and perhaps a theater show. There's a huge amount of land to be used there.

6NmFmAC.jpg

But....but....

...that land is supposed to be for 'Discovery Bay' !

;)

cheezbat

I like toontown but it's a way better thing to raze then autopia and the subs which was in a previous plan

Still say a Star Wars land isn't a good fit for a park based on timeless genres but what do I know.
I completely disagree. Toontown is a much better fit in DL than the severely outdated Autopia and Subs. I just rode both last week and feel their time has come. Both are expensive to run and take up a large chunk of real estate.

I too don't really like the idea of Star Wars land in DL. I think it would be better in DCA.

kap91

I completely disagree. Toontown is a much better fit in DL than the severely outdated Autopia and Subs. I just rode both last week and feel their time has come. Both are expensive to run and take up a large chunk of real estate.

I too don't really like the idea of Star Wars land in DL. I think it would be better in DCA.

Now see I think the subs and autopia are one of the most beautiful places in the park. I can't bear to think of the lagoon and practical forest ripped out. Sure update autopia but it's still a huge attraction kids, teens, and even adults love.

The subs are still one of the coolest and most unique rides out there. No way they should go.

But I definitely agree that Star Wars, or any land based on one IP doesn't belong in Disneyland park.

cheezbat

Now see I think the subs and autopia are one of the most beautiful places in the park. I can't bear to think of the lagoon and practical forest ripped out. Sure update autopia but it's still a huge attraction kids, teens, and even adults love.

The subs are still one of the coolest and most unique rides out there. No way they should go.

But I definitely agree that Star Wars, or any land based on one IP doesn't belong in Disneyland park.
I'll agree with the astheticsof the subs, but Autopia is a smelly eyesore. Yes it's far prettier than Tommorowland Speedway in MK, but it's just so junky. I just rode it this past trip and its not anywhere near quality Disney levels I've come to expect in their parks. Rip it out. Build a smaller Cars version in Radiator Springs.

kap91

I'll agree with the astheticsof the subs, but Autopia is a smelly eyesore. Yes it's far prettier than Tommorowland Speedway in MK, but it's just so junky. I just rode it this past trip and its not anywhere near quality Disney levels I've come to expect in their parks. Rip it out. Build a smaller Cars version in Radiator Springs.

Compromise: put whatever ride you want in place of autopia, but don't you dare cut down any trees, and preserve the ability for kids to feel like they're in control.

rle4lunch

It's very hard to not fall asleep on the subs at night. the air is stagnant and the "underwater" scenes, whilst once technologically advanced, look cheap and dated and are hard to see. autopia really stinks. I grew up in the 80's and remember the early 80s cars smelling like that and would give me a headache. same goes for autopia, instant headache walking thru there. update with electric motors on the cars with fake engine sound effects would be inexpensive and easy to do.

dweezil78

It's very hard to not fall asleep on the subs at night.

That's kinda why I like riding the subs at night! Such a chill, mellow experience and IMO, far more immersive than riding during the daytime as the sunlight hitting the surface always breaks the illusion for me.

The ride itself isn't that mindblowing though and it would be great to have a wider view from the seat and not have to hunch over the whole time. I'm coming up on 40 and my neck/back kills by the time I get off of that thing!!! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom