standby lines closed?

bayoutinkbelle

Original Poster
I didn't see this topic in the first few pages, so pardon me if it's been done. Also, it's been a looooong time since I've been around this forum.

A friend and I suddenly had last Friday open, so we visited three parks. Because of this, we didn't bother with FP+, and really didn't need it. Lines were 25-30 minutes tops.

But, when we got to Studios, we found the standby line at Tower closed and the FP+ line almost out of the queue. No notice out front about what was going on, huge crowd filled with some angry people who couldn't get on the ride and a poor cast member left to explain it all.

Does this happen a lot with FP+? I was extremely surprised, honestly. And disclaimer, I'm not a FP+ fan but I've used it a time or two.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

bayoutinkbelle

Original Poster
If the Stand-by line is closed leaving just a Fast Pass line, doesn't that then make the Fast Pass line the new Stand-by ???

Definitely looked that way to me. :)

It was just odd and seemed to be handled badly. The cast member seemed overwhelmed by the crowd of would-be standby riders who were trying to find out what was going on. It was such a mess that I turned away before being able to find out exactly what was happening.

But the rest of our day was great!

Jon81uk

My assumption would be that it had just come back from a breakdown and/or not working at full capacity.

If a ride breaksdown for more than 10 minutes or so they usually close the queues anyway. If it had just re-opened when you passed they might have re-opened the fastpass queue only, but as people had been waiting to get back in, the backlog of people filled the queue. By keeping the standby queue closed they can work on getting all the FP people onto the ride promptly and then re-open standby once everything is back to normal.

EvilQueen-T

We were at studios over the weekend of the 14th and ToT had 1/2 of their ride cars go down so they only allowed people with fast passes in but the wait with the fast pass (since everyone was a fp) was over 40 minutes. They gave us the option of waiting or taking a paper fp for a single ride on one of the other fp rides in the park.

dreamfinder

They did it a few times with FEA when that first opened. They had so many people in the FP+ line they couldn't take any more standby riders and still get the line through before park close. It's pretty rare, but as pointed out usually involves a ride closure for some duration of time that requires them to get it back to status quo before they will take more standby.

Rob562

We were at studios over the weekend of the 14th and ToT had 1/2 of their ride cars go down so they only allowed people with fast passes in but the wait with the fast pass (since everyone was a fp) was over 40 minutes. They gave us the option of waiting or taking a paper fp for a single ride on one of the other fp rides in the park.

Yeah, we were at Studios on Sunday and one side of Tower was having issues off and on all day. Wait time was often posted as 180 minutes, and the gate to Standby was closed a few times we went by.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom