Standard vs Preferred room

Last year I think I made the mistake of paying extra $ for the preferred room at ASMusic. I was under the impression that only by paying the extra $ were we assured 2 double beds and that we would also be closer to the pool and laundry area. Then when I got there I read somewhere that all the rooms were already double beds. The pool we were located "near" was closed. And when I finally needed to use the laundry facilities on the 3rd day, it was nowhere near our room. In fact it was quite a hike to carry the laundry back and forth. I just don't want to pay the extra money next time if I'm really not getting the benefits from it. Does anyone know about this?
TIA

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Most rooms in Disney, not just AS Movies have 2 double beds...unless you ask for a king room. Preferred Room refers to proximity to the foodcourt/bus stop and depending on the layout of the resort, the pool. If you want to be close to the pool/laundry area, your best bet is still to get a preferred room.

Every time I have gone and not paid the extra, I have ended up on the outskirts of the resort...a hike and a half away from civilization. For what it is worth, a preferred room won't guarantee you easy laundry access, but it will at least keep you from being in the boondocks.

Upvote 0

Theresonly1

I have been in both standard and preferred. I would always pay the extra
$$ to get the preferred if available. Being Closer to the food court is much better if you use the drink stations, and at the end of a long day its nice not to walk so far back to your room.
As far as the room itself, they are the same...it's all a matter of location.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I paid for a preferred room once (all they had available). It was nice, but not worth the extra money. You can simply request the closest room available to the main building. 9 times out of 10 your room will be almost as close as the preferred room.

Upvote 0

natolij02

We had preferred room last year at POP and a standard room at POR in 2002 for our honeymoon.

Our room at POP was VERY close to the main building and the pool and at POR we really had quite a walk to refill our mugs, and catch the bus. I would go with preferred and if something happens with your location like the pool being closed (especially if you were not informed of this in advance) then I would be inclined to talk to the CM's at the front desk and see if they can do anything for you like move you or give you a "freebie" of some sort.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We just got back from Movies. We paid the extra for the pref. room and we were not that close to the buses/food court/lobby. Back in the day it used to be Fantasia was the pref. location now all of Toy Story and Dalmation are pref. But many rooms at Dalmation are close to Mighty Ducks.

We had to walk over to Music to get tatoo's for the girls (they were broke down at Movies--don't ask). We realized that the back rooms at Mighty Ducks were closer to the main pool/buses/food court at Music, plus had the pool for Mighty Ducks/laundry area as well.

Upvote 0

Philo

I'm not a big fan of paying extra for 'preferred' rooms / locations (excluding a Savannah view at AKL which is worth it!). I know you may have to walk a little further to the food courts / bus stops etc but it's not really that bad - perhaps a little different if your with a few young kids but even then, it's only a little more walking. I would rather save the money and spend it on something you can enjoy.

Upvote 0

HollyBelle

We usually pay for the standard rooms, and while we are farther from the bus stops/food court, it doesn't really bother us because we don't tend to frequent the food court and we almost always drive ourselves to the parks.

I will say though, that we paid the extra one time for preferred at Coronado and it was supposed to include a "water view" (whether it be lake or pool) and it really wasn't worth it. We were on the first floor and back in an alcove, we couldn't see the lake unless we walked out of our room, and down the path to it, and the pools were nowhere near us. I'd say we'll probably continue to take our chances with standard.

Upvote 0

imamouse

I am sensitive to noise and the preferred rooms at the value resorts are so close to the pools that I have a hard time going to sleep. Look at the resort layout and request a bldg to suite your needs.

Also note that not only the two bldgs closests to the main pool are now preferred - they've extended the catagory to blocks of rooms in certain blgs at Pop (all of 60s and some 50s are preferred at PC - perhaps more).

Upvote 0

disneydiva72

I'm not a big fan of paying extra for 'preferred' rooms / locations (excluding a Savannah view at AKL which is worth it!). I know you may have to walk a little further to the food courts / bus stops etc but it's not really that bad - perhaps a little different if your with a few young kids but even then, it's only a little more walking. I would rather save the money and spend it on something you can enjoy.

Im so with you on this one, when it comes to the all star resorts its not that much closer, not close enough to pay extra at all.

Now when we stay at Caribbean Beach I am a preferred room girl all the way....lordy it is farrrrrrrrr if you get stuck in Trinidad South.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

Im so with you on this one, when it comes to the all star resorts its not that much closer, not close enough to pay extra at all.

Now when we stay at Caribbean Beach I am a preferred room girl all the way....lordy it is farrrrrrrrr if you get stuck in Trinidad South.

I always put on my reservation "anywhere but Trinidad South please!!!!"

=) It really is so incredibly far away from anywhere!!!! But that's why they're retheming it to PotC...to increase it's popularity!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom