SSE descent star curtain

RSoxNo1

Totally agree. The descent in the 94 version actually gave me goosebumps. It was one of the few attractions that i walked out of feeling inspired and overwhelmed by such emotion. Not to mention a more sophisticated and powerful narration, but that's another debate.

Now I just make angry faces in the camera so when I watch the video during the descent, I can remind myself of how much I dislike the changes.
For me, the goosebumps started right as Jeremy Irons said, "On this our Spaceship Earth". The timing for the reveal was perfect as was the music. This can all be fixed, even with the current narration and crappy video screens.

RSoxNo1

I believe they intended to use those triangle shapes as video screens of some sort to show various events in history or something to that extent. Unless I misread or something.
I love that idea. While we're at it, why not have the video screens on the vehicles also show some important moments in history as well, make it ever changing, add a musical backdrop and call it a day.

RSoxNo1

I kinda like the video end. It is fun, and I like the stylised cartoony look of it. Not as fun as a real-set descent, but in and of itself, it is fun. It does get old fairly soon.

Two things about the oft heard complain people simply resent change:
- Yes, people do get emotionally attached to Disney. This is a good thing. WDW is about experiences and emotion and memories. It would serve Disney well (serve us well) if it would acknowledge this even when it is not about selling retro merchandise. I resent that I can not pass on my childhood memories to the next generation. My dad took me to EPCOT, because I was mesmerised by it before it even opened. The FW that we loved I can't show to his grandkids.
- No, change for the better is commonly recognised. Who complaints about the change to the magnificent Star Tours 2? Or about closing Sounds Dangerous? Nobody does. But we do moan when Imagination is destroyed for an inferior version, or when Horizons is closed.
Yes, it's fun - it would be a great thing for the post show.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Man, I'll freely admit that I had a strong, nostalgic tie to the Cronkite version, as that was the one I remember most, even though I've ridden every version. I just pulled up the Irons version from Martin's vids though, and MAN, I forgot how great that was.

So, is this new starfield light thingy just a bandaid while they put something else in there, or is this our new underwhelming vision of SSE?

aladdin2007

Surrounding guests in the new descent they see an abstract version of the traingular panels that make up the surface of the exterior sphere. The panels explode into a burst of energy representing the genesis of the next great idea.

from the imagineering field guide to epcot. So it was clear Imagineering had a plan, but thanks to TDO and Siemens...unfinished.

HMF

For me, the goosebumps started right as Jeremy Irons said, "On this our Spaceship Earth". The timing for the reveal was perfect as was the music. This can all be fixed, even with the current narration and crappy video screens.
What they really should have done was gotten Tom Fitzgerald ( who wrote both the Cronkite and Irons version) to write the script for the 07 version. Though Fitzgerald has had a lackluster tenure as a Creative Executive (He was the main force in advocating video screens in lieu of AAs ) he is a pretty good writer, at least with the Spaceship Earth scripts.

HMF

Surrounding guests in the new descent they see an abstract version of the traingular panels that make up the surface of the exterior sphere. The panels explode into a burst of energy representing the genesis of the next great idea.

from the imagineering field guide to epcot. So it was clear Imagineering had a plan, but thanks to TDO and Siemens...unfinished.
My only response when I read that, .

misterID

What they really should have done was gotten Tom Fitzgerald ( who wrote both the Cronkite and Irons version) to write the script for the 07 version. Though Fitzgerald has had a lackluster tenure as a Creative Executive (He was the main force in advocating video screens in lieu of AAs ) he is a pretty good writer, at least with the Spaceship Earth scripts.

Tom should have stuck with writing. His big contribution to EPCOT so far has been his redo of the current Imagination.

HMF

Tom should have stuck with writing. His big contribution to EPCOT so far has been his redo of the current Imagination.
I don't believe that Tom was (At least not directly) involved with the Imagination debacle, Producer on JIYI was Orin Shivley, Producer on JIIwF was Kathy Mangum. He was involved in HISTA, however. Oh and he also wrote Horizons. Don't think I am a Tom apologist, far from it actually, I believe the worst Creative Executive in WDI now.

copcarguyp71

Wow, watching Martins video reminded me of how much heart SSE once had. It truly inspired, informed and immersed you in the experience. These days...well, not so much. I am now sad and let down where I was marginally satisfied with SSE these recent years I now realize how much better it really was. I guess I lost touch with what it once was...apparently so has Disney :oops::(

WDITrent

Did Michael Sprout script SSE 2007? Because I'm not a big fan of some of his works (not including his script for Tower of Terror).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Too late. They heard...

EPCOT Death Star[/URL
Nope the Hasbro deal will overule the Lucas deal at SSE.

nerfearth.jpg

Polydweller

The current version was made in part by Siemens the current sponsor...
Yep, and Siemens wanted everything that represented AT&T out of there. I much preferred the old decent but that was all about communications concepts and the kind of things AT&T was doing. Even Irons spiel had to go because it described the original theme of the ride. It's what happens when a new sponsor takes over and good ideas change because the new sponsor wants them out.

HMF

Did Michael Sprout script SSE 2007? Because I'm not a big fan of some of his works (not including his script for Tower of Terror).
No, SSE 07 was penned by Pam Fisher who later actually did a pretty good job on the 09 Hall of Presidents but I think that was more because of Doris Kearns Goodwin assisting her.

HMF

Yep, and Siemens wanted everything that represented AT&T out of there. I much preferred the old decent but that was all about communications concepts and the kind of things AT&T was doing. Even Irons spiel had to go because it described the original theme of the ride. It's what happens when a new sponsor takes over and good ideas change because the new sponsor wants them out.
That's absurd, Spaceship Earth 1994 could have been sponsored by virtually any major communications company, It was by no means a glorified AT&T commercial. I highly doubt AT&T had as much input into it's versions of SSE that Siemens apparently had on the 07 version. If Siemens indeed dictated the descent and dialouge it just shows how little they understand about the attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
And to think...I was told that I had blinders on! I will just say that if you think that my opinion branches out beyond the CURRENT TOPIC, I'm afraid you would lose a lot of money betting on it. But continue to twist the intent if it makes everyone feel better.
Current topic is to discuss strange additions to a lacklustre, budget starved finale.

You do know the touch screens and animations work just as well in Innoventions in Disneyland? They don't need a ride to work. I've said it years ago, but its akin to removing all props and figures In the HM graveyard scene and putting a tv in each Omnimover instead.

The Empress Lilly

You do know the touch screens and animations work just as well in Innoventions in Disneyland? They don't need a ride to work. I've said it years ago, but its akin to removing all props and figures In the HM graveyard scene and putting a tv in each Omnimover instead.
SSE's final scenes consists of looking at yourself as a video projection plays tricks with a mugshot of you.
HM's final scenes consists of looking at yourself as a video projection plays tricks with a mugshot of you.

/devil's advocate :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom