SSE descent star curtain

MerlinTheGoat

I truly believe that a ride on Spaceship Earth 1994 made you look how far we have come as a species and make one hope for the future. A ride on Spaceship Earth 2007 can make one question how far we have fallen as a species and make one fear for the future. At least that's how I read it.
I completely agree, that's exactly how I see it. '94's SSE was uplifting and successfully walked through man's incredible achievements, the descent painted a bright and shining future for us too. Literally bright and shining, the city of light and the sweeping orchestral score was incredibly moving.

None of that with the new cartoon. As I said, it just looks like a very bad internet flash video knockoff of the Jetsons.

HMF

I completely agree, that's exactly how I see it. '94's SSE was uplifting and successfully walked through man's incredible achievements, the descent painted a bright and shining future for us too. Literally bright and shining, the city of light and the sweeping orchestral score was incredibly moving.
In retrospect, The only thing that dated SSE 94 at all was the line "As we greet the 21st Century" and the rotating News cycles. Take that out and it could have lasted another 25 years at least.

Pixiedustmaker

I remember the old Spaceship earth ride had a video of some Israeli politician (prime minister?) saying, "the state of Israel will survive!" Not being very educated in world history at the time, it sounded dramatic and inspiring, but now with the current state of the world, I could see some guests from certain countries being offended. Maybe that had some to do with the changes?

Anybody know the politician or the speech?

MerlinTheGoat

In retrospect, The only thing that dated SSE 94 at all was the line "As we greet the 21st Century" and the rotating News cycles. Take that out and it could have lasted another 25 years at least.
I pretty much agree. If the descent needed any tweaks, it only needed minor ones. Not a complete removal of the scenes outright. Not to mention a complete dumbing down of the script (and even musical score).

Actually I feel SSE's 94 descent quite accurately ended up predicting the way technology is just now starting to really go, at least in part. People have become more connected than ever through the internet. Fiber optic communication lines are getting ever more popular now and that was basically covered with all the fiber optic lighting effects. Even video phones are starting to become more feasible and popular with internet, smartphones, and even smart TV's that have webcams attached.

At worst, i'd say all the descent scenes really needed was perhaps some very minor updates to the interior decor. Mostly the shape of the TV screens in fact and little else. What they did to the ride in 2007 actually makes it feel far more dated than what was there before. THAT is some bull.

The one thing i'd say is an improvement is the huge video at the beginning with the early humans hunting the mammoth. I'll definitely admit that it looks darn cool and is better than what was originally there. It's a shame we couldn't have just gotten this plus some simple but effective upgrades to the finale without actually changing the dialog, music, or removing any scenes.

The '94 version of SSE just stands as a shining example of how to do a PROPER update to an attraction. The 2007 version stands as a perfect example of how not to do it. I honestly feel Epcot would truly have continued to stand strong in this day and age had all the classic attractions followed the trend set by SSE '94.

HMF

I pretty much agree. If the descent needed any tweaks, it only needed minor ones. Not a complete removal of the scenes outright. Not to mention a complete dumbing down of the script (and even musical score).

Actually I feel SSE's 94 descent quite accurately ended up predicting the way technology is just now starting to really go, at least in part. People have become more connected than ever through the internet. Fiber optic communication lines are getting ever more popular now and that was basically covered with all the fiber optic lighting effects. Even video phones are starting to become more feasible and popular with internet, smartphones, and even smart TV's that have webcams attached.

At worst, i'd say all the descent scenes really needed was perhaps some very minor updates to the interior decor. Mostly the shape of the TV screens in fact and little else. What they did to the ride in 2007 actually makes it feel far more dated than what was there before. THAT is some bull.

The one thing i'd say is an improvement is the huge video at the beginning with the early humans hunting the mammoth. I'll definitely admit that it looks darn cool and is better than what was originally there. It's a shame we couldn't have just gotten this plus some simple but effective upgrades to the finale without actually changing the dialog, music, or removing any scenes.
I will admit I do like some of the minor cosmetic changes in the first few scenes especially The AAs and costumes (done by Eddie Sotto's aunt I believe) Starting with the roman scene there become certain minor nitpicky type staging changes I don't agree with Lack of chariot projection, Too many props, Lighting in the Rome scene, I think that the new turban on the lead Islamic scholar looks too much like an onion, Censoring the rennaisance statue is idiotic, I am not too fond of how Michelangelo was re-staged, I feel that the paper boy talking to the wall is ridiculous also bringing the subject of the Civil War makes it too closely tied to one countries history and hurts the broader story, Same with Jesse Owens in the cinema, Mainframe scene is pretty cool though I must say that dressing the Black female scientest in yellow tights and go-go boots is preposterous and maybe even borderline racially insensitive. Wozniak scene is OK and I am amazed they managed to get that car up there. Matrix Tunnel is impressive but the effect has some not so great side effects. The only thing that I can say actually gave me a sense of awe in 07 is the Blue star field and of course the descent quickly takes that awe away with the embarrassing Jetsons cartoon. Overall, The narration is painful, the music is decent but has no where near the emotional depth of the 94 score and the overall mood of the attraction has gone from majestic to meh.

HMF

What was originally planned for the 2007 descent?
As far as we know what is there now with just a few more lighting effects. Nothing really of substance, Nothing to restore the greatness of what used to be the most powerful experience a theme park ride has ever provided.

MerlinTheGoat

I believe they intended to use those triangle shapes as video screens of some sort to show various events in history or something to that extent. Unless I misread or something.

JustInTime

I believe they intended to use those triangle shapes as video screens of some sort to show various events in history or something to that extent. Unless I misread or something.

I understood the triangles as a rush job. Did you know you can see where they put them up with chicken wire in some places? It's sad.

Goofyernmost

Didn't see anything like whats in the pic last week, or before. Looks new to me o_O .

Did you ever ride any of the previous incarnations of the ride? It is understandable that you wouldn't know what you were missing, if you haven't seen what was there before.

I've ridden them all and the last part of the ride has never been very impressive. Some loved it, I understand, but, it's a puzzle to me why! It was a few minor, very small, scenes but the computer screen putting you, personally, in the ride is much more fun. Some folks just don't like change at all.

I also seem to recall the star curtain has been there since it reopened to it's current incarnation. Unless, you are referring to some other place on the ride.

pipenut

Didn't see it last time I was on it so I'm not sure exactly where in the decent it was. (Confession... I was playing with the screen 'cuz Dame Judy Dench told me too!)

Is it wrong to think that any visual addition - temporary or not - is a good thing vs the black hole that is there now? ;)

MerlinTheGoat

I've ridden them all and the last part of the ride has never been very impressive. Some loved it, I understand, but, it's a puzzle to me why! It was a few minor, very small, scenes but the computer screen putting you, personally, in the ride is much more fun. Some folks just don't like change at all.

I also seem to recall the star curtain has been there since it reopened to it's current incarnation. Unless, you are referring to some other place on the ride.
The star curtain hasn't been there, it's a new thing. At least it wasn't there any previous time I rode the newest incarnation of SSE.

And I don't dislike change, I dislike downgrades. Downgrades that can be judged on an objective level. I've ridden them all as well (well except for the Vic Perrin narration which was before I began visiting WDW). I find the current descent the very definition of a downgrade (along with the terrible script and forgettable musical score). The 1994 version of SSE is a supreme piece of proof that people are willing and eager to accept change when it's done right and enhances the experience overall. Having ridden the Cronkite version numerous times before the '94 redo, I will readily state that the '94 version is an immense improvement. It took an already great ride and upgraded in every possible way and making the attraction objectively superior.

The version from 2007 on the other hand took an excellent ride and brought it down to a far lower level. I still think the attraction is "good", but what remains good about it is basically what has been there from the beginning. The redo has little in the way of improvements. What little has actually improved was addressed in this topic and given proper praise (the best of which I feel is the mammoth video). But the further through the ride you get, the more the downgrades start piling on and on, until finally you're left with a completely empty descent sequence with a corny and badly animated internet flash video.

As I've said numerous times, the "choose your own future" concept was originally executed a hundreds times better and in a far more impressive scale in Horizons.

I won't blame anyone for liking the new version. But just because they can't see the merits of the old version doesn't mean the criticism is at all unfair or from someone who just "dislikes change". Again if we dislike change just for the sake of disliking change, one wonders why many of us prefer the 94 version over the previous versions. Myself and others have stated objective reasons why we think the 07 version is a substantial downgrade from the 94 version. Those points stand and I think they're entirely fair and well-reasoned.

Is it wrong to think that any visual addition - temporary or not - is a good thing vs the black hole that is there now? ;)
I guess it might seem a bit of an improvement, so that's probably fair. But until the descent is addressed on a substantial level, this is still duct tape and chewing gum to cover up their cheapness (even if it's somewhat more visually appealing duct tape and chewing gum).

donaldtoo

I've, also, ridden all except the Perrin version. The Irons version is definitely an upgrade from the Cronkite version, but I don't understand how this latest version can be seen as anything other than a downgrade.

Goofyernmost

Didn't see it last time I was on it so I'm not sure exactly where in the decent it was. (Confession... I was playing with the screen 'cuz Dame Judy Dench told me too!)

Heck, I think it was a good idea. It made people stop thinking about how due to the steep descent we were all about to die. :p And yes, the have had that look into the future before, most obvious in Horizons. That one, however, didn't have my face in it. That makes me "special"! :oops:

The Empress Lilly

I kinda like the video end. It is fun, and I like the stylised cartoony look of it. Not as fun as a real-set descent, but in and of itself, it is fun. It does get old fairly soon.

Two things about the oft heard complain people simply resent change:
- Yes, people do get emotionally attached to Disney. This is a good thing. WDW is about experiences and emotion and memories. It would serve Disney well (serve us well) if it would acknowledge this even when it is not about selling retro merchandise. I resent that I can not pass on my childhood memories to the next generation. My dad took me to EPCOT, because I was mesmerised by it before it even opened. The FW that we loved I can't show to his grandkids.
- No, change for the better is commonly recognised. Who complaints about the change to the magnificent Star Tours 2? Or about closing Sounds Dangerous? Nobody does. But we do moan when Imagination is destroyed for an inferior version, or when Horizons is closed.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Considering we just had a full ride through with the lights on at EPCOT 30 event.. including the decent. We know with 100% certainty it wasn't there.

Watch and enjoy

Goofyernmost

Considering we just had a full ride through with the lights on at EPCOT 30 event.. including the decent. We know with 100% certainty it wasn't there.

Watch and enjoy

Just watched the video...amazing by the way...check minutes 13:30 thru 14:45. The part I was talking about was clearly there. It is possible that I am identifying something other then what the Poster was asking, but those are the star light curtains was thinking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom