SSE descent star curtain

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just on Twitter now... A large star curtain has gone up track right in Spaceship Earths descent. I honestly have no idea why, given the mess of this part of the ride, it could be third shift again trying to scrape together some improvements or it could be something else. If anyone's about today can they grab some pics?

cjkeating

Not wanting to be controversial, but I rode Spaceship Earth for the second time this year. The first was the revamped version before I had discovered Disney forums and I did not recall any problems with the descent so on my return I was interested to see what my point of view would be of it. Whilst I haven't done any research into what was there previously - I do realise it wasn't just an interactive screen - I didn't see any problem with the descent as it currently is. You spend the entire time touching or watching the screen in front of you so I didn't see why there should be anything other than a black tunnel... =/

aladdin2007

Wow rode it not even a week ago and that was not there,,however there is a star curtain right after where the pepperghosts use to be that has been there for a few months now, thats not the same one is it? The pic link above looks different to me but not sure......,,but everything in the decent was looking the worst ever, messed up curtains, dust, crud, you name it. Time to get rid of all that scrap metal and trash already.

muteki

Wow rode it not even a week ago and that was not there,,however there is a star curtain right after where the pepperghosts use to be that has been there for a few months now, thats not the same one is it? The pic link above looks different to me but not sure......,,but everything in the decent was looking the worst ever, messed up curtains, dust, crud, you name it. Time to get rid of all that scrap metal and trash already.

Didn't see anything like whats in the pic last week, or before. Looks new to me o_O .

Not wanting to be controversial, but I rode Spaceship Earth for the second time this year. The first was the revamped version before I had discovered Disney forums and I did not recall any problems with the descent so on my return I was interested to see what my point of view would be of it. Whilst I haven't done any research into what was there previously - I do realise it wasn't just an interactive screen - I didn't see any problem with the descent as it currently is. You spend the entire time touching or watching the screen in front of you so I didn't see why there should be anything other than a black tunnel... =/

Did you ever ride any of the previous incarnations of the ride? It is understandable that you wouldn't know what you were missing, if you haven't seen what was there before.

MerlinTheGoat

If you've never seen any other incarnation of the ride, all I can tell you to do is go watch Martin's Tribute of the 1994 version of Spaceship Earth (Martin's site should always be your first priority if you're ever wanting to see what old versions of rides were like)-
http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=274

It shows the old descent sequence from about the time of 12 minutes in and onward until the ride unloads. There were several show scenes that aren't there anymore. While the scenes with the city weren't an amazing piece of tech (it was said to be quite a simplistic model), they still managed to be extremely visually pleasing as there was a lot of fiber optic type effects and lighting. What is there now can't compare. And the original soundtrack only further enhances the scene with its sweeping and powerful score. The scene was also better in person as videos can only tell you so much about a scene.

The video that replaced all these sets just doesn't do it for me. It looks like a rather badly animated and rather stupid flash video from the internet. I find it literally like a far worse version of Horizon's "Pick your Future" thing.

wiigirl

Interesting....
75.gif

The MaD Hatter

If they're not going to do anything to properly fix the descent, then the least they could do is add an 'off' option for the video. I'd rather sit there in the darkness and stare at the garbage in the ceiling than have to watch that awful video again. ("Who knew board meetings could be so fun?" UGH!) Even if you don't select any of the options on the screen, they still force the video on you. :mad:

MerlinTheGoat

If they're not going to do anything to properly fix the descent, then the least they could do is add an 'off' option for the video. I'd rather sit there in the darkness and stare at the garbage in the ceiling than have to watch that awful video again. ("Who knew board meetings could be so fun?" UGH!) Even if you don't select any of the options on the screen, they still force the video on you. :mad:
I actually agree. The video to me is painful to watch and i'd literally rather stare at the wall than watch it. What was there before was at the very least very visually appealing. I don't see why it had to be taken out.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I thought I noticed that star cuitain back on October 17 to 20. Actually, we both noticed it...but I didn't get a picture and I forgot to post about it. Just like the Twitter picture, back between 10-17 and 10-20.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I actually agree. The video to me is painful to watch and i'd literally rather stare at the wall than watch it. What was there before was at the very least very visually appealing. I don't see why it had to be taken out.

I like the video only because I'm usually riding with one of my kids who gets a huge kick out of seeing himself in the video. Indeed, the smiles and giggles make that my favorite part of the ride.

On the other hand, when I'm riding without one of my kids...well, I just close my eyes, and imagine what used to be. Oddly, what pops into my head is the Jeremy Irons-version's visuals while with Tomorrow's Child as the soundtrack.

baymenxpac

this is sort of the point. the interactive screen wasn't even supposed to be there. so instead of seeing how you would SAVE TIME BY SEEING HOW YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO COOK IN THE FUTURE, you used to be treated to a descent that encapsulated the majesty of everything you just witnessed.

that's how the old descents felt. there was a slow build all the way up, as you saw man, his humble beginning, and his feats and accomplishments of centuries of work. then the reveal. the beautiful climax of seeing the earth from space, then the descent brought you back down with a decrescendo that sort of filled your soul.

now you get a cartoon.

HMF

If you've never seen any other incarnation of the ride, all I can tell you to do is go watch Martin's Tribute of the 1994 version of Spaceship Earth (Martin's site should always be your first priority if you're ever wanting to see what old versions of rides were like)-
http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=274

It shows the old descent sequence from about the time of 12 minutes in and onward until the ride unloads. There were several show scenes that aren't there anymore. While the scenes with the city weren't an amazing piece of tech (it was said to be quite a simplistic model), they still managed to be extremely visually pleasing as there was a lot of fiber optic type effects and lighting. What is there now can't compare. And the original soundtrack only further enhances the scene with its sweeping and powerful score. The scene was also better in person as videos can only tell you so much about a scene.
It really is emotional watching that, It's devastating that something so wonderful could be so reduced. Riding SSE 94 changed my life and brought tears of joy. Riding SSE 07 made me angry and brought tears of anguish. As for the new star curtain, it's progress, I guess, but it still does not make up for what we lost.

spacemt354

Chili's
It really is emotional watching that, It's devastating that something so wonderful could be so reduced. Riding SSE 94 changed my life and brought tears of joy. Riding SSE 07 made me angry and brought tears of anguish. As for the new star curtain, it's progress, I guess, but it still does not make up for what we lost.

Totally agree. The descent in the 94 version actually gave me goosebumps. It was one of the few attractions that i walked out of feeling inspired and overwhelmed by such emotion. Not to mention a more sophisticated and powerful narration, but that's another debate.

Now I just make angry faces in the camera so when I watch the video during the descent, I can remind myself of how much I dislike the changes.

MerlinTheGoat

Aye, the descent along with the music was incredibly uplifting and (to use an already overused word) epic. Gives me chills and makes my spirits soar. It's was always a wonderful ride to go on at both the beginning and end of a day at Epcot.

I will say it's at least still a good ride underneath all the mess that was made. I'd still take the current incarnation ANY day over the Time Racers concept (yuck). But it needs help. At least unlike what happened with many other Epcot rides, changes could more easily be made to shift the tone and style back to the 94 version. The other Future World attractions are either gone or gutted beyond repair, they'd have to basically start anew fixing other aspects of Future World. SSE's framework is still intact and could be easily salvaged in the right hands.

HMF

Totally agree. The descent in the 94 version actually gave me goosebumps. It was one of the few attractions that i walked out of feeling inspired and overwhelmed by such emotion. Not to mention a more sophisticated and powerful narration, but that's another debate.

Now I just make angry faces in the camera so when I watch the video during the descent, I can remind myself of how much I dislike the changes.
I truly believe that a ride on Spaceship Earth 1994 made you look how far we have come as a species and make one hope for the future. A ride on Spaceship Earth 2007 can make one question how far we have fallen as a species and make one fear for the future. At least that's how I read it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom