Trip Report Spoiler Alert. No Pandora, but Flowers and Gardens and Waves Galore.

Time for my first trip report!!! Exciting! First off going to tag some people in no particular order. :) @21stamps , @figmentfan423 , @Gabe1 , @betty rose , @littleroo, @Tony the Tigger , @donaldtoo, @Mr Ferret 88 , @Tuvalu , @TheMouseFan , @blgauger , @bee , @Cesar R M , @Songbird76 , @StarWarsGirl , @MinnieM123 , @MOXOMUMD , @ajrwdwgirl , @93boomer , @Courtney6682 , @amjt660 , @Doc Disney , @Goofyernmost @everybody:)

If you haven't read the ptr here is a link to it. :)
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/our-hopefully-pandora-thrown-in-f-g-trip-2017.925406/

The planning for this trip May 19-27 started in November last year after I received a precious pin code in my email. I couldn't say no to that. ;)

Eventually I ended up getting a better rate when the AP discounts came out(dh had an AP at the time), so I rebooked for the same resort, The Cabins at Fort Wilderness. :happy:

Who was going: me, dh, and the 4 kiddos(dd15, ds13, dd9, dd6). Who we were leaving at home(3 dogs, 3 cats, 1 cockatiel, and a dear SIL who was housesitting for a price. ;))

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
SIL came down to our abode in PA from NJ on Wednesday night, the 16. The plan was for us to leave when dh was done with work around lunch time on Thursday. I had packed the week before and had all the luggage down and packed in the car by the time dh came home 1 hour ahead of schedule!!:) Would that extra hour mean we would get to our overnight destination in Savannah an hour earlier then we expected?? Well, we live in South Central PA so we do have to drive through VA which in the past has been a bad state to drive through for us. Got stuck on 95 last summer without any movement due to a massive pile up. This was at 3 in the morning.

Luggage packed with a curious sniffing pup(Hershey), wondering what is going on .
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
The clock is 30 minutes fast. I hate being late for anything. ;) The radio station got changed by the time we were down the driveway. (Overplayed song).

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
We had checked google maps before we left and decided to take I-81 and take that into VA instead of driving around DC. Figured we would be around DC by 2 and were worried about traffic. Well, we had no issues at all until we decided to cut over to 95. We figured we wanted to avoid Charlotte rush hour and thought we were far south enough in VA where it would be safe to take 95. Ummm, yeah, well....let's just say that didn't work out as we had planned. Apparently DC traffic had moved to Fredericksburg and about 20 miles south. Stop and go traffic. Not a fun way to start a road trip. But we were able to make up time as we got closer to Richmond. :)

By twilight we had passed this.
IMG_0441.JPG
No clue how it stays in business. Hardly any cars are ever there. :confused:

We made it to The Hyatt Place in Savannah by 10:30 and all of us were tucked in by 11. :)

After eating a light breakfast there by 7 am. (First ones there. :)), we got back in the car and were excited to take the remaining 4 hour drive to our happy place.

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
We had no issues with our drive in GA and an hour and a half after breakfast we saw this.
IMG_0443.JPG
I could hear the angels singing. :angelic: We of course had to stop at the Florida Welcome Center and use the facilities. :oops:

And then a couple of hours later we passed by this. The huge volcano that has a tendency to cause car accidents because it is like way to close to I-4. :confused:
IMG_0444.JPG

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
We had only moderate traffic on 4 so cannot complain about it. Not long after we passed "Not Kilauea" we saw this.
IMG_0446.JPG

We took the entrance across from Crossroads. There was a truck on my right so I couldn't get the best shot. :( Nonetheless we were HOME!!!!:)

We passed by the entrance to Golden Oak which is where I would park myself if I had a hundred spare millions. ;)
IMG_0448.JPG
And then we got to our resort entrance.
IMG_0450.JPG
We gave the kindly security guard our name and ID and were off to check-in. I did online check-in but we needed to get our cart and our parking pass. If you want a cart you need to reserve in advance. They can sell out as the person behind us found out. :rolleyes:
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
I'm in!! :) Can't wait to read more!
Thanks for reading! Been catching up on yours.:)
Actually, I think it's probably a lot more fun at Fort Wilderness, than at Golden Oak. :happy:
You are most definitely right! Plus we get fancy watercraft right to MK while they have to wait for some schoolbus-like van to drive them to TTC where they are corralled into security.;)
YES!!!! Let the fun begin!!! I'm so excited for this report!
Hope it meets your expectations.:)
Following!! I cant wait to see your pictures!
Thank you! I have been really enjoying your semi- live one. :)

21stamps

SIL came down to our abode in PA from NJ on Wednesday night, the 16. The plan was for us to leave when dh was done with work around lunch time on Thursday. I had packed the week before and had all the luggage down and packed in the car by the time dh came home 1 hour ahead of schedule!!:) Would that extra hour mean we would get to our overnight destination in Savannah an hour earlier then we expected?? Well, we live in South Central PA so we do have to drive through VA which in the past has been a bad state to drive through for us. Got stuck on 95 last summer without any movement due to a massive pile up. This was at 3 in the morning.

Luggage packed with a curious sniffing pup(Hershey), wondering what is going on .
View attachment 208679 View attachment 208680 The clock is 30 minutes fast. I hate being late for anything. ;) The radio station got changed by the time we were down the driveway. (Overplayed song).

Cute dog!! I have a Maltese, is that a Bichon?

MySmallWorldof4

Original Poster
I've never stayed at the Fort :jawdrop: so I look forward to seeing your pictures and reading about your experiences.
I tried to take lots of pictures knowing there do not seem to be that many trip reports based out of the Fort.:)
I'm in! Not sure how much I'll be participating though until we're back!!
No worries. Don't know how far I will get til you are back. Between bouncing around reading everyone else's reports and obligations here at home I don't expect to be done too quickly. I will look forward to your comments when you get home.:)
Thanks for the tag! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your adventures!
I loved your past reports! Thanks for following!:)
Hello @MySmallWorldof4
Thanks for the tag
I will be following along for sure

Other than 2 Hoop de Do's I have spent no time anywhere near Fort Wilderness in my trips to WDW
It is fun to see the setup and how things work

Please keep the pics coming
And of course thanks for sharing your trip with us

Max
I love all your comments and look forward to them Max!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom