Splitsville bowling moving into Downtown Disney West Side

PhilharMagician

I assume it's "regular" bowling and not candlestick? I've never heard of it before but it looks nice. And to those of you that pay upwards of $6 a game......damn!!! In NY, even the expensive places are only $4.00-$4.50.

Where we occasionally bowl, there is no charge for shoes and $3.50 per game.

Mukta

I currently drink/bowl at Lucky Strikes. I can see this place being a lot of fun for families during the day and a lot of fun with the 21+ crowd at night.
I probably won't visit it unless it turns into an adults only atmosphere at night, since I do have a Lucky Strikes near my home. I do hope it becomes part of the Water Park + add on to tickets.

majortom1981

the other thing to note about Splitsville is it isn't set up like most bowling alleys... the lanes are set up in groups of 4 or 5 and they are "isolated" if you will from the next set of lanes. This allows a more intimate atmosphere for your and your party...so while the space is huge, the ratio is more like 3 Splitsville Lanes for every 4 regular bowling alley lanes in the same amount of space. Our Splitsville also have lanes jutting off in different angles to make the area more interesting. I've only been to ours though so it might be a setup that is unique to Tampa.

I imagine the upstairs would be used more for the lounge/bar/dining room/billiards.

I would hope then this place sets it up more like 300 where the lanes are all along the walls like a regular bowling alley BUT have the whole middle open to the bar . This way the only thing limiting the number of lanes is the length of the building.

300 has pool tables and tables and things in the middle of the building. Its basically one gigantic open space with the lanes on either side.

Pioneer Hall

I think the idea is pretty good, and will give people something to do if they just don't want to walk around and show. I believe that the WWoS alley was supposed to have a ridiculous number of lanes, something around 100. My assumption is that Disney knows that the demand will be pretty high and will work with that. I expect at least 30 lanes to be built, and possibly even go as high as 40 or so.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the idea is pretty good, and will give people something to do if they just don't want to walk around and show. I believe that the WWoS alley was supposed to have a ridiculous number of lanes, something around 100. My assumption is that Disney knows that the demand will be pretty high and will work with that. I expect at least 30 lanes to be built, and possibly even go as high as 40 or so.

Yep the WWoS version was hardcore bowling, and was upwards of 100 lanes. This is much different though, and is more about the experience thrown in with proper food and drink. I think this will be massively popular. Combined with the Dine-In movies over at the AMC, this will give DTD an impressive lineup of some interesting twists on standard offerings. If only we could get a reimagineering of Disney Quest to complete things, and a new Cirque show.

devoy1701

Yep the WWoS version was hardcore bowling, and was upwards of 100 lanes. This is much different though, and is more about the experience thrown in with proper food and drink. I think this will be massively popular. Combined with the Dine-In movies over at the AMC, this will give DTD an impressive lineup of some interesting twists on standard offerings. If only we could get a reimagineering of Disney Quest to complete things, and a new Cirque show.

are you trying to throw us hints?

Flight Safety

I've always wondered when this would happen, but figured they would never go through with it due to the fact that there will be an incredibly long wait. I previously bowled on a league at my local alley which hosts 60 lanes and anytime on a Friday or Saturday night it's crawling with teenie boppers and getting a lane (if you want to deal with those teenie boppers) is nearly impossible. I can't imagine how this is going to work out. Hopefully they will be prepared for the demand.

Alektronic

I have been to the Splitsville at Channelside, it was a nice place like a upscale bowling alley with good food and good drinks. It was like a nightclub with an bowling alley inside. I remember there was a dress code after 9 or 10 and I think it was 21+ on Friday and Saturday nights, but it could have changed by now. It will be interesting to see how they run the one at DTD.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've always wondered when this would happen, but figured they would never go through with it due to the fact that there will be an incredibly long wait. I previously bowled on a league at my local alley which hosts 60 lanes and anytime on a Friday or Saturday night it's crawling with teenie boppers and getting a lane (if you want to deal with those teenie boppers) is nearly impossible. I can't imagine how this is going to work out. Hopefully they will be prepared for the demand.

The key point is that this is more than just bowling, it is a nightlife center - so think lounges, bars, dining, billiards, and bowling. It is not going to be a hall full of lanes with a fast food outlet tucked in the back corner. I think the target audience is going to be those who want to do more than just bowl. Age restrictions at certain times, along with reservations may well be used.

Flight Safety

This would be nice.

Im still having trouble feeling comfortable with the ammount of lanes they can or will put in the place. Think about this, bowling isn't something that's under a time clock, and most people pay per game rather than per hour. What happens when you have a family of 5 or 6? Bowling a whole game takes a while and with a limited number of lanes, Disney sized crowds, etc. I'm worried.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a good chance they have a way of making this work and I'm hoping I'm prop Ed wrong.

Flight Safety

The key point is that this is more than just bowling, it is a nightlife center - so think lounges, bars, dining, billiards, and bowling. It is not going to be a hall full of lanes with a fast food outlet tucked in the back corner. I think the target audience is going to be those who want to do more than just bowl. Age restrictions at certain times, along with reservations may well be used.

I hope you're right. I would like it a lot but you had me right, I was indeed picturing a fast food joint tucked in the corner.

Missing20K

From what I understand these types of bowling alley/nightclub businesses purposely build fewer lanes than demand would dictate in order to have people wait an hour or more to bowl so that they linger and purchase liquor and food, play billiards and other games, which tend to have higher profit margins than the bowling alone. This was from a friend who managed a lucky strike near Denver, CO.

Flight Safety

I just checked out thier website www.splitsvillelanes.com and its a lot different than I imagined. They've got a lot more space in DTD than any of the pictures show. Im actually excited about this now. With all that extra space, I would imagine they will make this a sort of flagship location.

Any word ona time frame?

maxairmike

Yes, the WWoS alley was going to be targeted at PBA tournaments and such, not much of a recreational place. Splitsville sounds like a very strong addition to me. Just doing a basic scale comparison with a 50-lane place where I used to live with the Virgin building, it looks like they would have space for roughly 32 lanes if they just went wall to wall along one side of the store. And another thing to consider is that the physical lanes plus the equipment area behind them would take up roughly 1/4-1/3 of the floor space on either level. I would guess that because of that (in addition to other reasons given), there won't be two levels of lanes, unless a second set of lanes is incorporated into the other features, which may actually be entirely possible depending on how they approach it.

WDWmazprty

I just checked out thier website www.splitsvillelanes.com and its a lot different than I imagined. They've got a lot more space in DTD than any of the pictures show. Im actually excited about this now. With all that extra space, I would imagine they will make this a sort of flagship location.

Any word ona time frame?

I just looked at the site also and it looks really nice!

I would call it 'cozy bowling' from the way the lanes are setup and everything. Doesn't look like its the typical lanes all side by side type bowling. Plus the addition of the restaurant, games and everything else makes it look more like a club or restaurant with bowling lanes conveniently placed throughout the locale. I like it.

Flight Safety

Yes, the WWoS alley was going to be targeted at PBA tournaments and such, not much of a recreational place. Splitsville sounds like a very strong addition to me. Just doing a basic scale comparison with a 50-lane place where I used to live with the Virgin building, it looks like they would have space for roughly 32 lanes if they just went wall to wall along one side of the store. And another thing to consider is that the physical lanes plus the equipment area behind them would take up roughly 1/4-1/3 of the floor space on either level. I would guess that because of that (in addition to other reasons given), there won't be two levels of lanes, unless a second set of lanes is incorporated into the other features, which may actually be entirely possible depending on how they approach it.

That made more sense to me for WWoS. I always thought it would be kinda cool.

From the looks of the pictures on the Splitsville website, I would imagine they will spread things out and have 2 to 4 lanes placed together in different areas rather than the usual wall of lanes.

Flight Safety

I just looked at the site also and it looks really nice!

I would call it 'cozy bowling' from the way the lanes are setup and everything. Doesn't look like its the typical lanes all side by side type bowling. Plus the addition of the restaurant, games and everything else makes it look more like a club or restaurant with bowling lanes conveniently placed throughout the locale. I like it.

Ditto!

mwebb4

Looks like a good idea

I think this will work well. Good reuse of a large building. Also glade to see they had some pause for the whole demolish Pleasure Island project. Let's hope they keep some elements of it. I personally enjoyed the comedy club and obviously the adventures club was a personal favorite. Went to PI & the west-side last year with my wife for a rare child free night and it was completely dead. Such a waste. We had money to spend and was looking for something to do but didn't need to eat a second dinner. The current bus system to get there and back from Caribbean Beach was pretty horrible also. We easily spent more time waiting for a bus and riding on a bus then we did at Downtown Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom