Splash Mountain's Health

Raj Morganberg

Original Poster
Just returned - and concerned about the overall health of Splash Mountain. Been on it over 50 times these past 15 years - and it's really showing its age with bad or missing audio, mechanics that don't work (hopping Brer Rabbit), Laughing Place water spits (that weren't working)and lack of big splashes at the end of the plunge - to name a few. I know it goes down about once every 12-18 months for major retooling - but it may need a complete rehaul. All that running water has to do a number on the mechanics, electronics, and plumbing. It's one of our all-time favorite rides. Please Disney - put the splash back into Splash Mountain.

Kramerica

Well, it's a classic. So we know they won't pull a test track and completley retheme the ride. Which is good. Perhaps they think the once a year quick overhaul is enough? Or maybe they're waiting for the new fantasyland to open before a long refurb so that it takes less of the pressure off? Who knows. But I agree. It's looking pretty worn out and needs a huge refurb.

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah Splash has been in horrible shape for several years now. The last extensive closure it received was early last year and it wasn't to address any of the serious show issues that have been present for years now. The only reason the ride was closed was to install lap bars on the logs ala Tokyo Disneyland. Nothing else was really fixed sadly and that precious downtime was completely squandered. A few months ago the lack of maintenance really took its toll and the entire Riverboat scene broke completely during regular show hours to such an extent that even casual park goers didn't notice. This was addressed soon after, but a multitude of figures all throughout the ride still either don't move or only partially move. From the second drop beyond the ride is a complete mess, especially the Laughing Place.

Splash is going to need an extensive amount of closure time very soon, probably even notably longer than Big Thunder had to fix all the problems it has (Splash has tons of animatronics and water features that need fixing). One hopes that this will come very soon with Big Thunder now freshened up somewhat and part of New Fantasyland opening this holiday. If not then we're looking at yet another disappointing year of a Splash Mountain on life support.

Well, it's a classic. So we know they won't pull a test track and completley retheme the ride. Which is good. Perhaps they think the once a year quick overhaul is enough? Or maybe they're waiting for the new fantasyland to open before a long refurb so that it takes less of the pressure off? Who knows. But I agree. It's looking pretty worn out and needs a huge refurb.
Few people think it should be rethemed. Besides Tokyo's, WDW's is the best version of the ride when it's in 100% working order. It should just be kept in proper working order, something that it hasn't been for the last several years. They failed to address the broken show elements last time it went down for rehab.

Raj Morganberg

Original Poster
Yeah Splash has been in horrible shape for several years now. The last extensive closure it received was early last year and it wasn't to address any of the serious show issues that have been present for years now. The only reason the ride was closed was to install lap bars on the logs ala Tokyo Disneyland. Nothing else was really fixed sadly and that precious downtime was completely squandered. A few months ago the lack of maintenance really took its toll and the entire Riverboat scene broke completely during regular show hours to such an extent that even casual park goers didn't notice. This was addressed soon after, but a multitude of figures all throughout the ride still either don't move or only partially move. From the second drop beyond the ride is a complete mess, especially the Laughing Place.

Splash is going to need an extensive amount of closure time very soon, probably even notably longer than Big Thunder had to fix all the problems it has (Splash has tons of animatronics and water features that need fixing). One hopes that this will come very soon with Big Thunder now freshened up somewhat and part of New Fantasyland opening this holiday. If not then we're looking at yet another disappointing year of a Splash Mountain on life support.

Few people think it should be rethemed. Besides Tokyo's, WDW's is the best version of the ride when it's in 100% working order. It should just be kept in proper working order, something that it hasn't been for the last several years. They failed to address the broken show elements last time it went down for rehab.
Merlin - Keen insights. Nice recap.

dave&di

Any ideas when the next refurb is? It should be due soon? I heard due to the closure of BTMRR For refurb WDW were keen to not close SM at the same time. True?

Rasvar

If they are going to do a big rehab of Splash, I would expect it would start at the beginning of January after a holiday season is done. Nothing is scheduled that I know of but it is not like they can't throw the things on the schedule fast. Heck, DL just tossed Indy into a major rehab with one months notice starting in a few weeks. If you do it in January, you can probably do a good rehab in five or six months and have it back for summer. Similar to how Disney just redid Matterhorn. I suspect that any major rehab won't start until 2014, if it happens.

FettFan

Yeah. Hopping Brer Rabbit has been looking shoddy for a few years now. Poor guy looks like his neck is broken or something.

They need to replace the mechanism entirely....as much as I dislike the Nemo overlay for The Living Seas, at least their animatronic anglerfish is impressive.

secondstartotheright

Last time I rode several of the AA's in the opening "how do you do" scene weren't working. Like, just hanging there. Same goes for the riverboat scene and brer fox/ alligator at the end. And the jumping fountains weren't working, either...sad to see so many of these classic rides in such bad condition :( hopefully after the fantasyland expansion is complete it'll receive a refurb.

Rinx

[quote="Raj lack of big splashes at the end of the plunge [/quote]

They did minimize the effects of the geysers when the logs go down due to complaints of people getting too wet at the beginning of the ride. Also, so that there is anticipation of getting wet at the end of the ride and not already be soaked and experience the attraction wet.

The Empress Lilly

Splash was crap when I rode it a few months ago. I didn't even enjoy it, save for the drop.

With Thunder done, and FLE opening this fall, my money's on an extensive Splash refurb beginning in January.

Tip Top Club

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll mention it again here. I ride splash usually about once every two weeks or so, and Last night it looked the best that it has in ages. There was more movement from the Laughing Place Brer Bear then I've seen in years, I had no audios or noticeable animatronic problems. The Kuka Rabbit was back after about a month long hiatus as well. Brer Bear's fish was working, the Alligator in the finale was working, things I haven't seen work in a long time.

The only glaring problem were the turtle fountains, which have been off for ages.

Obviously there's still a lot of work to be done, but that was a very positive ride.

It should be noted that the splash at the end was toned down on purpose, and I much prefer it that way. I have no desire to get soaked, just a little spritz will do just fine, and it makes the ride much more accessible to those who don't want to get wet, but still want to experience it. (Which it one of the reasons I don't go on Kali) If I want to get wet, I'll do it properly at Popeye and Blutos or Dudley Do-Right.

Magenta Panther

I think Splash needs to be refurbed and plussed. The AAs look very dated even when they do work. I think new figures should be sculpted, or at least the faces. AAs have come a long way since Splash opened, and that wonderful ride should benefit from the latest technology.

Goofnut1980

Splash would be the last mountain needing the overhaul. They just redid Space a few years back if you remember. Then Big Thunder a few months back.. So I bet it will get the love it needs shortly. But no matter the condition.. I love some WDW... No matter if a bubbler is or isn't working, I just glad I'm at Disney and not at work!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom