Splash Mountain with animation off

Brer Oswald

Yes, those are the segments.
The main chorus singing 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah' during the riverboat finale also has 'alternative' lyrics...instead of '...my oh my, what a wonderful day..' as the song was originally written, the Attractions' version goes '...it's our time for celebratin' today..'.
Just a slight modification made by John to have the tune fit the story they were telling within the Attraction experience.

You may already know this, but the recording session for that finale featured Disneyland Cast Members singing for all the critters that appear on the riverboat and on the river banks.
A 'casting call' went out to CMs to show up at the studio and volunteer their time to sing some verses of the song for the finale.
Whenever i hear it, i have to wonder how many of those Cast Members are still working for Disney!

-
I just listened to the DL soundtrack and could it be that the CMs sang Zipadeedoodah in WDW and not DL? The singers at DL just sound way to professional in comparison to WDW, although their voices might be absent from DL's audio loop which is weird.

Bairstow

How 'obsessed' am i....?
Well, how about this for a fun story -

When visiting a locally owned theme park with a couple of friends, we decided to ride their typical 'log flume' ride offering.
You know the type...in bright blue troughs and a barely any theming.

As we boarded our fiberglass 'log' and were about to begin our ride, one of my friends made a joke saying that as we go along i should recite the entire ride-through audio and songs from 'Splash Mountain' to make it more entertaining.

-

So I'm not the only one who does this?

Figments Friend

I just listened to the DL soundtrack and could it be that the CMs sang Zipadeedoodah in WDW and not DL? The singers at DL just sound way to professional in comparison to WDW, although their voices might be absent from DL's audio loop which is weird.

DLs original 'Splash', the first version built, had Cast singing the finale...yes.
It is one of those 'legends' you hear about when you get interested in certain things.
I have read about it a few times when come across marketing articles related to the building of the Attraction, as well as from CMs who remember the 'casting call' going out for volunteers.

The WDW version of 'Splash' , the second one built a few years later after DLs, used new recordings but I have always suspected based on the finale 'Zip-a-Dee' audio that the mix included some of the original CM vocals used for DLs.
They sound very similar ( to my ears, at least..) if you hear the vocals for the finale song without the different backing tracks.

-

Brer Oswald

DLs original 'Splash', the first version built, had Cast singing the finale...yes.
It is one of those 'legends' you hear about when you get interested in certain things.
I have read about it a few times when come across marketing articles related to the building of the Attraction, as well as from CMs who remember the 'casting call' going out for volunteers.

The WDW version of 'Splash' , the second one built a few years later after DLs, used new recordings but I have always suspected based on the finale 'Zip-a-Dee' audio that the mix included some of the original CM vocals used for DLs.
They sound very similar ( to my ears, at least..) if you hear the vocals for the finale song without the different backing tracks.

-
I think most of the songs in WDW contain at least some of the DL audio. How do you do is most likely just the same voice actors reprising their roles (mostly Jess Harnell) but rerecorded for extra polish. I'm pretty sure Brer Porcupine's part was intended for DL as it's in the demo and in the official soundtrack, but it was probably one of the animatronics moved by that legendary Imagineer who I can't think of the name of but you probably know off the top of your head (the one that reposition most of the animatronics and removed 10). That is probably why that part of the song was removed and was brought back for WDW. As for the other songs, Laughing place was probably rerecorded and Zipadeedoodah sounds like they just added additional audio to DL's.

Wow, I really do have a problem. :oops:

Figments Friend

So @Figments Friend , what's your opinion about the deletion of "Sooner or Later" from the ride soundtrack as they moved from the demo version?

The designers may have felt the song didn't fit well with the scene ( or scenes ) they were planning as the Attraction went through its lengthy design phase.
It's like making a movie, in that you plan a lot of scenes but in the end you end up cutting a few out.
It must have been planned to be included or they would not have bothered to record the demo I've heard.

In a way, the version of the song recorded for the DL Attraction expressed hope and belief that Brer Rabbit would return home.
So it was a tune reflecting 'hope'.
It was probably decided that within the context of the ride experience 'story' that a more threatening tone was needed to be felt in a scene before the final plunge to create some anxious foreshadowing.
Thus the more foreboding 'lamenting' tune sung by the parent critters to their young'uns in the DL Attractions pre-final lift hill scene was given precedence over using the 'Sooner or Later' tune.

It does the job well within the context of the scene....that 'lamenting' song.
The song lyrics warn of the dangers to come if one wanders off to the Laughing Place...which fits the 'story' of the ride perfectly.
You need to create a bit a tension before the 'big plunge', exspecially after the happy goofiness and glee of the previous 'Laughin' Place' scene.

I found it interesting how that 'warning of danger' scene with the parent critters and their young was only used in the Original at DL.
It was not carried over to other versions of 'Splash Mountain'.

So my thoughts besides those..?

It's nice to have a unique scene in the DL version , that creates a sense of danger to come.
WDWs has a quick moment pre-final drop with Brer Fox gloating over the capture of Brer Rabbit, but it does not create the same sense of foreboding doom as the DL version does in my opinion.
What is interesting though is that when I am riding WDWs version of the Attraction, I don't miss DLs 'lamenting' scene at all within the context of experiencing the ride.
WDWs version is a completely different experience to me.
A whole different animal.
The pacing is different, the scenes more fleshed out and complex, and even the drop seems different ( slower compared to DLs seemingly faster ' bullet shot' drop ).
So while it makes me curious as to why that 'lamenting' scene was not included in the WDW version, I am perfectly happy with it being a 'Disneyland Exclusive'....just like the entire rides soundtrack!
:)

-

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

The designers may have felt the song didn't fit well with the scene ( or scenes ) they were planning as the Attraction went through its lengthy design phase.
It's like making a movie, in that you plan a lot of scenes but in the end you end up cutting a few out.
It must have been planned to be included or they would not have bothered to record the demo I've heard.

In a way, the version of the song recorded for the DL Attraction expressed hope and belief that Brer Rabbit would return home.
So it was a tune reflecting 'hope'.
It was probably decided that within the context of the ride experience 'story' that a more threatening tone was needed to be felt in a scene before the final plunge to create some anxious foreshadowing.
Thus the more foreboding tune sung by the parent critters to their young'uns in the DL Attractions pre-final lift hill scene for given precedence over using the 'Sooner or Later' tune.

It does the job well within the context of the scene....that other 'lamenting' song.
The song lyrics warn of the dangers to come if one wanders off to the Laughing Place...which fits the 'story' of the ride perfectly.
You need to create a bit a tension before the 'big plunge', exspecially after the happy goofiness and glee of the previous 'Laughin' Place' scene.

I found it interesting how that 'warning of danger' scene with the parent critters and their young was only used in the Original at DL.
It was not carried over to other versions of 'Splash Mountain'.

So my thoughts besides those..?

It's nice to have a unique scene in the DL version , that creates a sense of danger to come.
WDWs has a quick moment pre-final drop with Brer Fox gloating over the capture of Brer Rabbit, but it does not create the same sense of foreboding doom as the DL version does in my opinion.
What is interesting though is that when I am riding WDWs version of the Attraction, I don't miss DLs 'lamenting' scene at all within the context of experiencing the ride.
WDWs version is a completely different experience to me.
A whole different animal.
The pacing is different, the scenes more fleshed out and complex, and even the drop seems different ( slower compared to DL ' bullet shot' ).
So while it makes me curious as to why that 'lamenting' scene was not included in the WDW version, I am perfectly happy with it being a 'Disneyland Exclusive'....just like the entire rides soundtrack!

-
Do you know if DL originally had Sooner or Later when it opened? I've heard that they took it out after a year and replaced it with burrows lament, but the oldest POV I can find is from 1990.

Figments Friend

That I do not know for certain.
I have always been under the impression that the lament has always been present from opening day but it is possible a switch was made.

The demo version i listen to of 'Sooner or Later' for the DL Attraction was clearly sung by the same voice performers, as the same 'characters' ( mother and children ) so it is entirely possible.

It would be a fun fact to find out if that did indeed happen....if the songs were switched out and the AAs re-programmed / animated to create the scene we know today.

-

LongLiveTheKing

How creepy would it have been if the music was playing before each sceen and right before they turned the corner it stopped? If those guys had shut up and not been incredibly annoying it would have been slightly unsettling with the silent ambience, sound of running water and the frozen animatronics.
Man, those guys are annoying.
Seriously. I'd be in hell if I was sat behind them.

LongLiveTheKing

Just shows you how much Disney cares about maintenance nowadays /s :rolleyes: I'd probably be stuck between laughter and fear if this happened to me.
Two weeks ago, and possibly still now, the Disneyland Splash Mountain actually had three animatronics in the dark that should have been lit up, the owl at the end wasn't working and the past Brer Rabbit had a broken right eye so it looked like he was looking in opposite directions half the time.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Two weeks ago, and possibly still now, the Disneyland Splash Mountain actually had three animatronics in the dark that should have been lit up, the owl at the end wasn't working and the past Brer Rabbit had a broken right eye so it looked like he was looking in opposite directions half the time.
I actually noticed what you were talking about when I rode at the beginning of the month. Just a little disappointing for my first time riding that version.

Figments Friend

@Figments Friend I recently gained a new appreciation for DL's Splash soundtrack. The instrumental of it is surprisingly amazing :inlove:

Is'nt it fantastic..?
I so prefer it to the 'Fromtierland' appropriate music done for WDW's version of the Attraction.

The 'Disneyland Original' of 'Splash Mountain' is one of my favorite ride soundtracks.
Very bouncy and happy, with a jazzy undertone.
Just marvelous to listen to.

Very glad to hear of your recent 'discovery' of it!

-

Brer Oswald

Is'nt it fantastic..?
I so prefer it to the 'Fromtierland' appropriate music done for WDW's version of the Attraction.

The 'Disneyland Original' of 'Splash Mountain' is one of my favorite ride soundtracks.
Very bouncy and happy, with a jazzy undertone.
Just marvelous to listen to.

Very glad to hear of your recent 'discovery' of it!

-
While I absolutely adore the bluegrass style of How Do You Do?, mainly because of the Harmonica, banjo, and just the overall snappiness of it, and I do prefer WDW's Splash on a ride perspective, DL's soundtrack just knocks it out of the park! I mean the instruments are just so well used especially in the ride exit version of Zipadeedoodah! Jess Harnell did a really good polished job of voicing Brer Rabbit in WDW which I love, but imo he reaches perfection in DL's Zipadeedoodah, particularly the soundtrack version. :inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom