1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Splash Mountain Sign (Complete)

Discussion in 'Scrapbooking and craft' started by yaksplat, Sep 11, 2014.

1. yaksplat

yaksplat Well-Known Member Original Poster

Thanks. I'd love to do this sort of thing full time, but somehow I don't see someone wanting to spend $2500 on a sign like this. My time is free for myself, family and friends, but for everyone else, it runs about $60/hr. :D

Tough part about things like this is that 95% of the work was done between 10pm and midnight. Wife and kids are asleep and I'd rather do this than watch TV.

I need to find another project. Any ideas out there? I do want to make some acorn lamps from splash mountain that I saw somewhere on this site...

Missymoe4 likes this.
  2. Icebergtip

Icebergtip Well-Known Member

It turned out amazing! Wow!!

yaksplat likes this.
  3. wsmith1978

wsmith1978 Well-Known Member

Absolutely incredible!! Best gift ever. You should be very proud of this.

yaksplat likes this.
  4. Tylerb08

Tylerb08 Member

This is the most amazing thing I've seen being made. I love to make things and the next time I take a trip to the parks I'll be on the lookout for something I can recreate. Thanks for the encouragement!!

yaksplat likes this.
  5. PinnySmart

PinnySmart Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing!

yaksplat likes this.
  6. Uncle Lupe

Uncle Lupe Well-Known Member

Top notch! If I tried that i'd end up with the Homer Simpson spice rack. If you could make a mold and build it from resin, oh well.

yaksplat likes this.
  7. yaksplat

Hey, you never know. This was my first attempt at carving something outside of sharpening a stick on the sidewalk when I was a kid.

As far as making a mold, that is an interesting thought. But this thing is pretty big. That's a ton of resin.

8. lilfritzy

lilfritzy Active Member

Looks awesome!!

yaksplat likes this.
  9. Seattlemick

Seattlemick New Member

This is awesome, I've been looking for a pattern as I'm not so great a drawing, what did you use for a pattern? and what kind of wood?
    thanks for posting and your time. ~Steve

10. yaksplat

This was all free hand drawing on the wood with pencil. The wood is basswood, which is excellent for carving. It doesn't dull the tools as much as harder woods and is relatively easy to remove material. That being said, I still had to sharpen everything quite a bit with a leather strop. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

MOXOMUMD likes this.
  11. WDW Zandt

WDW Zandt New Member

I'm actually curious, since you did mention this is your first carving project, what tools did you primarily use? I was wondering if this is more hand carved or power tooled (or a decent mixture of both)

12. yaksplat

This was done with 100% hand tools beyond the initial planing and joining of the planks. The raw boards were jointed square and the planed parallel. I used a router to make a strong finger joint which you can see in some of the pictures of the unpainted wood. I had to add a couple more layers for Beer Rabbit. I would have added one more layer for his nose if I planned it better. it looks a little odd from the side, but from head on I was able to give it some depth. The carving tools that I used were from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UXXTTK

Once the carving was done I did sand down the letters to get the remains pencil marks off.
    The Polynesian signs that I did were all A single layer thick which would have been a much easier first project.

jangirl likes this.
  13. WDW Zandt

WDW Zandt New Member

Wow, very impressed with your craftsmanship. Can't wait to see how your other projects turn out!

yaksplat likes this.
  14. kevlightyear

kevlightyear Active Member

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is SO COOL! I'm so impressed with your talent and dedication!

yaksplat likes this.
  15. yaksplat

Thanks. It was a fun project.