1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Splash Mountain fall refurbishment 2017

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sped2424, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Uncle Lupe

Uncle Lupe Well-Known Member

Well that sucks!! Have first trip in 6 years during September but had already put that bug in our daughters ear. Just have to drown my sorrows on another ride.

ChrisM and dreamscometrue like this.
  2. DisneyJeff

DisneyJeff Well-Known Member

Not for everyone. Many people died while BTM was closed. I'm not implying any correlation between these events, just saying. (Many people die everyday.) :p

3. EricsBiscuit

EricsBiscuit Well-Known Member

I cringe every time someone says "but my vacation is during that refurb!" They don't realize that the attractions need maintenance. The same people who complain that WDW has terrible maintenance then complain that the ride is going down for a refurb. Makes no sense

4. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

I'm sure there's a direct causal link.

TeriofTerror and DisneyJeff like this.
  5. FullSailDan

FullSailDan Active Member

I think a lot can be said for the types of rides WDW operates vs Uni. Many of the Universal rides do not have the animatronics or the level of detail in their themeing (paintwork, props, etc) that Disney does. The spaces between those screens/scenes are often just painted a glossy black or brown and of course fixing those screens aren't terribly time consuming either....

Kman101, rushtest4echo and googilycub like this.
  6. rushtest4echo

rushtest4echo Well-Known Member

I agree that some of Disney's rehabs are ridiculously long, and that they purposely wait to just fix stuff during the rehab. They also don't always bring a ride back on line with all of the effects which sucks. This upcoming downtime for Splash is backstage/infrastructure related though I'm sure they'll spruce up the ride too.However, it's a lot easier to refurbish newer rides, and Universal's average age for their rides is probably half that of WDW's. They also don't need to maintain hardly any robotics (as the poster above pointed out). It's also a lot easier to just replace a projector, oil a motion base and clean a screen, so more than half of Universal's SCREENZ rides are quite easy to keep up. For comparisons sake, when was the last time Star Tours had a refurbishment besides the overlays? Has it ever? Coasters like Everest, SDMT or Thunder Mountain are obviously WAY harder to maintain than a few completely unthemed B&M's (that aren't well maintained either).

Much harder with actual practical effects- which is probably why Jurassic Park, ET, Dudley, Cat in the Hat, and others almost constantly have broken effects throughout that nobody seems to cry about incessantly. ;)

Besides, with stuff like Kong, Jaws, BTTF, ET (at Hollywood, and here at some point), Hulk, Dragons - they ran them into the ground (Dragons is on life support and has been for almost a decade, as was Hulk up till the track replacement). I seem to recall both Kong and Jaws constantly missing effects for months on end, and needing several months long rehabs at regular intervals. Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Again, I'm not disputing that Disney lets too many maintenance things slip towards some huge extended rehab- they do. But Universal isn't exactly a model of upkeep. They're much worse at maintaining practical effects- the water rides being the worst offenders. Popeye, Jurassic, and Dudley come out of rehab with broken effects that aren't addressed.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

"Here lies Fred Smith
    Up by the fountain
    Missed his last ride
    On Disney's Splash Mountain."

8. Tk0021

Tk0021 Active Member

This sucks. My girls were to short to ride it last year. We were going to ride it for the first time in September.

9. Oriolesmagic

Oriolesmagic Well-Known Member

I did completely forget about the static bird in the final scene but I didn't notice any of the other issues (thankfully). Perhaps I just wasn't keeping a good enough eye out. Thanks!

10. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

Universal is able to have faster turnaround times, because it doesn't take long to clean screens! :)

11. andysol

andysol Premium Member

Do people just read the first sentence and then respond? :cautious:

brb1006, cheezbat, jgg and 1 other person like this.
  12. rushtest4echo

rushtest4echo Well-Known Member

Tough to be a Bug is a weird one, but I'm not sure if anyone much cares when it gets an occasional rehab. And it's only gone down a couple of times since AK opened for a month or two at a time aside from the limb issues (which is terrible, no excuse for that garbage). Hall of Presidents is a special case, much of the show is completely re-tuned and re-worked every 4 years. I'm not entirely sure of the rehab schedule for it when we don't have a new President, but I'm pretty sure it's only down for that period of time when we get a new President. I wouldn't really attribute that to any laziness on Disney's part. Between the new script/story, animations, narration, speeches, placement of the animatronics and the total refurbishment of their costumes probably really does take quite a long time. Rock'n Rollercoaster's rehabs are kind of odd due to all of the swamp coolers that need 100% uptime or the ride is down. I'd imagine that between the LSM's and cooling that there is a lot of annual maintenance that needs to be done and it's not really an overnight job. You've got me on stuff like Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl, but they don't usually go down every year do they?

Oh I certainly applaud Universal's efforts to keep Jurassic in decent condition. But over the years I'd say I've never actually ridden it with all effects working (and that includes back when I used to need to ride it for show checks ;) ). The parasaurolophus is often not working, which really harms the "off course" part of the story. The raptor cage doesn't always trigger, though I'm not sure if that's a timing issue all the time, because I've seen it work several times throughout the day only to hear people say it didn't work when they rode the same day. The through-the-ceiling T-rex didn't work for quite some time (almost the whole time I worked there, though that wasn't more than a year or so). The finale T-rex is often stationary, but that's usually due to idiots standing up and shutting down the animation more than anything else. And of course the stuff from Hollywood's version (the fence, the dilophosaurus, the falling jeep) were simply cut because they got sick of how hard they were to maintain in Hollywood.

Still though, the ride is usually in very good shape considering the amount of daily wear it goes through. The skins are usually in great condition too! Though like seemingly everything else, Universal Japan's was/is a superior ride because of a few scene changes, better robotics, and of course top notch upkeep. ;) Orlando's raptors are cool, but Japans are absolutely terrifying. They're so violent it's a wonder how they keep them running! In fact, that entire lift hill segment on Japans still gives me the creeps. The sound, lighting, projections and physical effects create one of the best "scenes" on any ride ever.

HauntedPirate and andysol like this.
  13. Mark Dunne

Mark Dunne Member

can't believe it, last time we came to Disney 2014, it was closed due to inclement weather, now closed for refurbishment, we arrive on 8th November, what have I done to brair patch.LOL

14. CanadianGordon

CanadianGordon Well-Known Member

Interesting it's going down so soon. Hope it's not anything structural.. Oh wait that's SP...

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  15. disneygeek90

disneygeek90 Well-Known Member

My only two trips at DL (at least that I have awareness of), has had Pirates closed both times due to refurb. I feel the struggle. I'm banking on it finally being open for my trip in November.

16. Mark Dunne

Mark Dunne Member

Glad it's not just me .lol

17. Gem Bateman

Gem Bateman New Member

I haven't been since 2009 so I am truely gutted this will be closed when we got in October

18. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Was this not listed here a month ago? Were you all in DeNile? Jungle Cruise lasts but 10 minutes.

monothingie likes this.
  19. monothingie

monothingie OOOOWEEEEEEE! Premium Member

Wow this sure makes the increased cost of the Halloween Parties so much more palatable.

20. monothingie

monothingie OOOOWEEEEEEE! Premium Member

I suspect the Russians are involved as well...