Splash Mountain fall refurbishment 2017

Capsin4

Well that sucks!! Have first trip in 6 years during September but had already put that bug in our daughters ear. Just have to drown my sorrows on another ride.
I'm getting my 6 yo daughter to ride things now in prep for her first trip that she meets height reqs on lots of things. I showed her the video of Splash to help get her over the big hill and she was very excited about riding it. Then I saw this thread about 10 minutes later. It closes the day we get there. :0

Uncle Lupe

I'm getting my 6 yo daughter to ride things now in prep for her first trip that she meets height reqs on lots of things. I showed her the video of Splash to help get her over the big hill and she was very excited about riding it. Then I saw this thread about 10 minutes later. It closes the day we get there. :0

:(

Ours will be 8, and is a super nervous drama girl. She hears Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain and is already freaking out. So I'll have my work cut out. But had to break this news yesterday and with the Tiki Bird rumors it was not a good day.

Fable McCloud

Super sad. I'm coming back after a 10-year absence and I'm bringing a first-timer, so this makes me sad. I know he was really looking forward to this one...

Why would they close a water-ride in the middle of the hottest part of the summer-fall? Weird.

EPICOT

Sorry for the bump, but is there any chance this refurb will get pushed back a couple days so it's open during the higher Labor day crowds?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, September 28.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

180º

In which case WDW is the best. TDL's is sunken into the ground. DL has only one light working.
As long as we’re tracking opinions, I’ll throw out my vote in agreement with @sedati. I’ll go further and opine that while Florida’s Splash Mountain is more polished and vivid, it lacks the soul of Disneyland’s. I prefer the greener aesthetic at Disneyland, as well as the quicker in-line logs and the orchestral score. I’ve always disliked the Florida mountain’s musical arrangements. Even though Florida diverged from the source material more than California, I feel it did so in ways that sacrificed what made the source material unique in the first place, resulting in a slightly more generic show. I know I’m in the minority here, though. :)

I’ll agree with you that maintenance on Disneyland’s Mountain is currently awful, but let’s not forget that Florida’s was in much the same state just a few years ago.

crxbrett

I much prefer WDW's over DL's. Growing up and living here in LA my entire life, once I was able to go on WDW's in '93 I instantly liked than one more. DL has quite a few knocks against it - inadequate lighting, dull set and backdrops if any at all, no hopping Brer Rabbit and a few other nice additions WDW made, less drops, not as wet and more unpredictability when you do get wet (if you sit in the last 2 rows you barely get misted sometimes), logs that are horribly uncomfortable (they improved this some years ago, but it is still not good), the orchestral score that seems out of place in the mountain/wilderness/country setting, conveyor belt lift hills that are super loud and bumpy and obnoxious; and finally when the logs bump into each other or the sides of the river canal or even when dropping onto a hill it can be jarring to the point of painful.

WDW's is definitely better.

sedati

Haven't been to Tokyo yet sadly, so I can't offer an opinion on the overall ride there. Given the choice of riding either WDW or Disneyland's splash it would be WDW easily. But if I was going to take a photo of one...
splash-mountain-DL.jpg

TDL.jpg

splash-mountain-WDW.jpg

Sorry, but in my opinion, Florida ranks a distant third when it comes to beauty and I'm really not sure why it ended up this way. The tree at the peak is too small, and looks more like it's been charred than simply dried out. There is far less green overall, and the clay is too red. Most odd is the rock- what looks to be stone in the other two looks more like lava rock in WDW (also odd is that they used the same coloring for the tree and tresle. While there last week I saw some areas at the peak had the paint removed, so I'm hopeful some kind of change is in store to this otherwise excellent attraction.

(all photos taken from their official websites)

Attachments

• splash-mountain-DL.jpg
    splash-mountain-DL.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 53
  • TDL.jpg
    TDL.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 61

disneyC97

Haven't been to Tokyo yet sadly, so I can't offer an opinion on the overall ride there. Given the choice of riding either WDW or Disneyland's splash it would be WDW easily. But if I was going to take a photo of one...
View attachment 234620
View attachment 234621
View attachment 234622

Sorry, but in my opinion, Florida ranks a distant third when it comes to beauty and I'm really not sure why it ended up this way. The tree at the peak is too small, and looks more like it's been charred than simply dried out. There is far less green overall, and the clay is too red. Most odd is the rock- what looks to be stone in the other two looks more like lava rock in WDW (also odd is that they used the same coloring for the tree and tresle. While there last week I saw some areas at the peak had the paint removed, so I'm hopeful some kind of change is in store to this otherwise excellent attraction.

(all photos taken from their official websites)
My memory from some 1992 articles about the WDW version was more red/clay look due to its location/proximity to Big Thunder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom