Splash Mountain 2

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
Yes, it's a click bait title :joyfull:

But seriously... I don't typically find myself immersed in the enigmatic place that WDWMagic, when I'm actually in WDW, but I'm currently standing in line at Splash and have come to this conclusion... the Magic Kingdom needs another water ride.

Did I mention I'm in the Fastpast+ line?

Attachments

• IMG_5896.JPG
    IMG_5896.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 150

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
HS is in need of one. Epcot is in need of one. The only think Splash needs in fans to cool us down and clothespins to place on our noses so we don't have to smell BO funk in the queue. Looks kinda crowded. I don't think I've ever seen Splash dip below 45 min wait in standby. Fastpass crawls. It's usually a 25'ver. I agree. We need more water rides! Kudos on the Clickbait title! You suckered me in.

Amidala

It's kind of surprising Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids are the only real water rides at WDW (TL and BB aside, obviously), especially since Florida weather is so humid. Moana would definitely be a good IP fit for a new water ride, but iirc the Moana Fire Volcano concept was scrapped b/c Moana didn't exceed expectations in the box office (?) so I guess that's out. Lilo and Stitch could also make for a very cool water ride (what w/ SGE hopefully on its way out soon) but I have no idea where that could go theming wise, outside of...well, Typhoon Lagoon, which would defeat the point.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes, it's a click bait title :joyfull:

But seriously... I don't typically find myself immersed in the enigmatic place that WDWMagic, when I'm actually in WDW, but I'm currently standing in line at Splash and have come to this conclusion... the Magic Kingdom needs another water ride.

Did I mention I'm in the Fastpast+ line?

The Studios Needs a Water Ride...Remove the Stunt show and make it an Indiana Jones mayan temple water adventure Chute-the-chutes for guests and Indy to venture through...
indiana-jones-waterfall.jpg

KCheatle

@Skipper Dan you have reason, MK needs other new water wet ride, only have one. In the other hand Splash is the best water ride in the world. Long life for brer rabbit.

I agree. Splash really is the best water ride. It's an awesome dark ride with a great theme. Plus, it gets you just the perfect amount of splash to be cooled off but not drenched. There is nothing worse IMHO than trudging around a theme park in drenched clothes with drenched shoes; even if it's super hot. I like KRR, but the ride is way too short, and definitely lacking in theme. Plus, someone always gets drenched. For that reason, we usually do KRR at the end of our day at AK when we're planning to go back to the room and swim anyway. It'd be nice if Epcot had one back between Italy and Germany and make it an Alps-themed ride :)

Edward M

People will kill me, but I think a pavillion themed to Polynesia and Moana would be fantastic in World Showcase. Characters are where they are going, so an E-Ticket ride based on a movie that actually has knowledge of the culture would be ideal. Shame they scrapped the concept though cause Moana did very well but not well enough. Oh Disney.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Maybe they can (literally) build a second part to Splash Mountain as a separate attraction that would tell more of the classic Uncle Remus stories. Or whatever happens in Song of the South. We could find out what happened to Brer Rabbit after he returned home, and what crazy ideas Brer Fox/Bear come up with next. Maybe they want to hang out some more in the Laughlin' Place?!

JIMINYCR

I think its funny that with the FL heat, guests say they want do to a water ride to cool off but then when they are on it they are hoping they arent the ones that get doused. Disney probably reasons out that anyone that really wants to get wet will go to one of their water parks.

Maybe they can (literally) build a second part to Splash Mountain as a separate attraction that would tell more of the classic Uncle Remus stories. Or whatever happens in Song of the South. We could find out what happened to Brer Rabbit after he returned home, and what crazy ideas Brer Fox/Bear come up with next. Maybe they want to hang out some more in the Laughlin' Place?!

Doubt that will ever happen. Disney hasnt wanted to deal with the conceived notion that Uncle Remus is a racial issue. Song of the South remains tightly locked up in the vault and Iger and others have continued to remain silent on its future. Some groups would love to reignite the flames around Walts original film should it or anything connected with it were to appear.

Amidala

I think its funny that with the FL heat, guests say they want do to a water ride to cool off but then when they are on it they are hoping they arent the ones that get doused. Disney probably reasons out that anyone that really wants to get wet will go to one of their water parks.

Doubt that will ever happen. Disney hasnt wanted to deal with the conceived notion that Uncle Remus is a racial issue. Song of the South remains tightly locked up in the vault and Iger and others have continued to remain silent on its future. Some groups would love to reignite the flames around Walts original film should it or anything connected with it were to appear.

That's true, but guests who wear ponchos on Splash Mountain are definitely in the minority. Most guests don't seem to mind getting wet at the end. The ride is so well-liked people seem to regard it as a fair pay-off. Although I would say Splash's popularity has more to do with it being one of the only "thrill" rides in MK to deliver an actual thrill (Space Mountain, Big Thunder, 7DMT and others don't). I don't think a typical water ride would draw the same crowds, but another water ride with a drop or a water coaster like the one at TL probably would.

And I agree that SotS is much too controversial to merit a second ride...it's still surprising to me that Splash Mountain was green-lit to begin with. Splash Mountain performs best when its guests few the story as a self-contained "original" ride, rather than making the connection to SotS. I'm pretty sure Disney feels similarly, which is why SotS has been effectively buried in recent years. And TBH, I'm 100% fine with that.

As fun as it is to think about, I also don't think I would enjoy a "sequel" to the original ride (which is actually my favorite at WDW!) Regardless of how excellent the new ride was, there would be sticklers who complained that it doesn't do justice to the original. And if the ride was functionally better than the original (in story as well as tech), it would run the risk of putting Splash itself in jeopardy.

If anything, I think the general template for Splash (an animatronic dark ride with a surprise spin and thrill element) was and still is perfect for Disney, and I would be very on board for a new ride like it. 7DMT is on the right track with the animatronics, but something with a coherent story, more animatronics and a bit of thrill (like Journey to the Center of the Earth in DisneySea) would be an immediate favorite for me.

JIMINYCR

That's true, but guests who wear ponchos on Splash Mountain are definitely in the minority. Most guests don't seem to mind getting wet at the end.

I have heard guests ask the CM many times... where can I sit in the ride car so I wont get too wet, and also the other way around asking for the front seat so they will have a better chance of a dousing.

Fantasmicguy

I think they should focus on the other two parks getting water rides first. And if another water ride where to come to MK i would hope they wouldn't place it next to splash so the crowds would spread away from that area when it gets hot unlike at IOA 's Toon Lagoon.

_caleb

I don't think they'd touch this IP again with a 10-ft. pole!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom