Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tissandtully

Top of the World at BLT seems to be less successful than originally planned and BLT is significantly larger than VGF. I think that combined with the various options in GF resulted in no dedicated lounge.

TOTW is crippled by the fact that you have to be staying at BLT or on POINTS at at DVC resort, have read of people being turned away since they paid cash for their room. It's a great view though, really only gets busy during the fireworks, then it's a ghost town afterwards.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unless they calculated that the current Grand Floridian food and beverage offerings were being under-utilized and increasing revenue from these venues was one of their original motivations for building the DVC in the first place.

Bzzt, Wrong

Now GF mgmt gets to move the maintenance for F&B to the DVC members fees - I'd really love to see the housekeeping line for members fees, If BLT is any indication @ 11 Million for DVC housekeeping (yeah sure it cost that much...) GFV will be 20-25 million.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see what you mean now. They essentially moved the profits from the movie to their distribution arm to prevent paying substantial points to actors. They made money but accounting wise they moved it from one line to another. It makes sense.

And the profits KEEP moving as the Distribution arm made no money either...

71jason

Interesting side note to the Grand Fla DVC (@71jason can back me up)..... Turns out that Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Fla has been getting slammed nightly since the DVC opened up. Didnt see that coming.

I saw it coming, lol. Buying a burger for a friend last night, Gasparilla was busier than I've ever seen it, as well. Given the unseasonably warm weather, I imagine the pools have been slammed, too, tho I have no first-hand info to back this up. (Although the hot tub was empty last week around 1 am ...)

71jason

TOTW is crippled by the fact that you have to be staying at BLT or on POINTS at at DVC resort, have read of people being turned away since they paid cash for their room. It's a great view though, really only gets busy during the fireworks, then it's a ghost town afterwards.

This. Also, far larger than it needs to be. But to build a DVC without any amenities seems an overly drastic response to TotW underperforming.

PhotoDave219

I saw it coming, lol. Buying a burger for a friend last night, Gasparilla was busier than I've ever seen it, as well. Given the unseasonably warm weather, I imagine the pools have been slammed, too, tho I have no first-hand info to back this up. (Although the hot tub was empty last week around 1 am ...)

There's a polar bear club joke in there but I'm not touching it.

asianway

Bzzt, Wrong

Now GF mgmt gets to move the maintenance for F&B to the DVC members fees - I'd really love to see the housekeeping line for members fees, If BLT is any indication @ 11 Million for DVC housekeeping (yeah sure it cost that much...) GFV will be 20-25 million.
No. They cant do that, they would be setting themselves up to be sued.

the.dreamfinder

And none of this
HBB-having-a-blast-castle.jpg

Last edited:

nytimez

I realize this may be an unpopular opinion, but I really enjoyed my stays at BLT and I loved Top of the World - and am surprised to see it so empty whenever I'm there.

I think part - not all - of the problem, along with the staying-on-points thing, is that being up top and needing a chaperone to bring you there eliminates the sort of passing-through traffic a lot of hotel bars and lounges thrive on. You're not going to get a quick drink on your way in or out. And, someone coming to join you from another hotel isn't going to meet you at the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom